Author Topic: Yet More Dumb Questions  (Read 5832 times)

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Yet More Dumb Questions
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:38:45 PM »
The Next Dumb question!

In the Pop & Production screen in the left hand column I have Earth pop 774.54m R6 Required and Enceladus Mining Colony Mines 24 R3 Required. What are R6 & R3?

Would the lack of R6 and/orR3 explain why my freighters will not pick up minerals from Enceladus? When the time for departure arrives I get a pop-up "Pop not found in load all minerals". I have a zero pop colony on the moon. What dumb error have I made? Help! Because I am rapidly running out of Netronium!

Regards
Ian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IanD »
IanD

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Yet More Dumb Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:47:20 PM »
Quote from: "IanD"
The Next Dumb question!

In the Pop & Production screen in the left hand column I have Earth pop 774.54m R6 Required and Enceladus Mining Colony Mines 24 R3 Required. What are R6 & R3?

Would the lack of R6 and/orR3 explain why my freighters will not pick up minerals from Enceladus? When the time for departure arrives I get a pop-up "Pop not found in load all minerals". I have a zero pop colony on the moon. What dumb error have I made? Help! Because I am rapidly running out of Netronium!

Regards
Ian

R6 and R3 represent the Rank required for a governor there. As for the popup, that sounds like an error message?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 01:29:51 PM »
If it?s an error message it?s within the game i.e. something I am doing wrong, not doing, or not in place? It?s not a bug.

How do you get a governor of a zero pop colony? Can you just assign some poor soul?

Regards
Ian
IanD

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 02:28:43 PM »
If it?s an error message it?s within the game i.e. something I am doing wrong, not doing, or not in place? It?s not a bug.

How do you get a governor of a zero pop colony? Can you just assign some poor soul?

Regards
Ian

On the Commander screen (F4), you should check Assign Anywhere (or some phrasing to that effect), the box is under the assignment list in the middle. Then you can shuffle off some poor sod there. I'd also recommend to check the box in the upper left. The one about auto-assigning. This will rotate officers in and out of positions every interval (24 months by default). You can also mark an officer as not auto-assigned.

For the popup. If it says something like "please contact Steve at swalmsley at btinternet.com" then it's a bug. Otherwise, I'm not exactly certain what is causing that.

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 02:34:15 PM »

Regards
Ian

Check to see if there are any minerals to be picked up at the colony.  I've gotten that message when I've tried to pick up something that wasn't there.  

Adam.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by adradjool »

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 03:04:02 PM »
Thanks Adam - I expected that for the first leg of the first trip but it keeps repeating. I checked and there were about 400-500 tons of four different elements.

Having said that I may have to re-install as some fields no longer appear on screen, only in the task bar at the bottom, is that aurora or Vista? I have tried a restart but no joy I can no longer see F2 (Pop & Prod) for instance, but can see system display or Task Force Org.

Regards
Ian
IanD

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 03:22:06 PM »
Thanks Adam - I expected that for the first leg of the first trip but it keeps repeating. I checked and there were about 400-500 tons of four different elements.

Having said that I may have to re-install as some fields no longer appear on screen, only in the task bar at the bottom, is that aurora or Vista? I have tried a restart but no joy I can no longer see F2 (Pop & Prod) for instance, but can see system display or Task Force Org.

Regards
Ian

There is a command to reset window positions. It is under the Miscellaneous menu.

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 03:36:46 PM »
Many Thanks Eric,  Have regained all windows.
Regards
ian
IanD

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 12:29:42 AM »
Many Thanks Eric,  Have regained all windows.
Regards
ian

That's what we're here for.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Yet More Dumb Questions
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 07:45:33 AM »
The Next Dumb question!

The R3, etc, shows the minimum rank required for an officer to be assigned as governor. That won't have any effect on the mineral problem.

When you give an order to pick up something from a population, the program records the ID of that population. When the freighters try to pick up the item, the database looks for the pop ID associated with the order and if it can't find it you get the above error. I have never actually seen this popup before so something strange must be going on.

Have you tried removing the order and re-issuing it?

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 10:21:55 AM »
Hi Steve

Yes, I tried it four times, on the fourth attempt the freighters picked up the minerals and since then it has been no problem. Adam mentioned it could be that there were no minerals to pick up but the round trip is 3-4 months (I have very slow ships), and I had thought there would be something there in 3-4 months.

My next problem(s) are:
 (1) if I try to transport 1 mass driver the freighters just will not load it. However if I do not check max amount to load its fine, but all my mass drivers depart for points west!

(2) I have through carelessness (not checking the correct conditional order) allowed several survey ships to run out of fuel. I tried sending a fleet out and absorbing the stranded ship(s) into it and the equalise fuel. This appears to work, but I still have the name of the ship (Task group) left on the system display. Is there any way you can delete a formation absorbed by another automatically? Assume I have to do this manually at present?

Regards
Ian
IanD

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 12:10:14 PM »
Hi Steve

Yes, I tried it four times, on the fourth attempt the freighters picked up the minerals and since then it has been no problem. Adam mentioned it could be that there were no minerals to pick up but the round trip is 3-4 months (I have very slow ships), and I had thought there would be something there in 3-4 months.
No idea what happened here. Its good that it is working now but I am not sure why it didn't work the first three times. Did you by any chance set up a repeat order for pickup before you created the colony?

My next problem(s) are:
 (1) if I try to transport 1 mass driver the freighters just will not load it. However if I do not check max amount to load its fine, but all my mass drivers depart for points west!
Do you get any error message or an event for the freighters failing to collect it? Btw, how many cargo holds do your freighters have?

(2) I have through carelessness (not checking the correct conditional order) allowed several survey ships to run out of fuel. I tried sending a fleet out and absorbing the stranded ship(s) into it and the equalise fuel. This appears to work, but I still have the name of the ship (Task group) left on the system display. Is there any way you can delete a formation absorbed by another automatically? Assume I have to do this manually at present?

I think this is a bug. The Join command will delete the joining fleet but I forgot to include the delete code when a fleet is absorbed instead. I'll fix it for the next version.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 10:28:36 AM »
No idea what happened here. Its good that it is working now but I am not sure why it didn't work the first three times. Did you by any chance set up a repeat order for pickup before you created the colony?
Yes I did precisely that  :( . The freighters each have a cargo capacity of 50000, I have tried the entire fleet of 6 ships (more than once) and an individual ship in case that was a problem, but with no success.
I do have a problem converting cargo capacity to installations as I have not found the place which tells me the mass/capacity taken by installations.

Regards
Ian
IanD

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 03:42:49 PM »
More on the mass driver loading, I couldn't load 1 mass driver but I can load 2!!! :?

Regards
Ian
IanD

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 05:00:15 PM »
Five cargo holds (25,000 tons) per installion generally.  Those installations that are larger than that (and can be moved) break down into 25,000 ton pieces.

So your 50,000 ton capacity freighters can move two whatevers each.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Father Tim »