Author Topic: New ground units  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Ed Smoker (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
New ground units
« on: April 27, 2009, 02:46:23 PM »
I'm working on a new ground combat system to replace the current generic one. I have added some new types of ground units and wanted to know where do I have to add them in order to have them reflected in the "Ground Force" window so they can be bought, upgraded, and so forth.

Offline Ed Smoker (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
Re: New ground units
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 07:19:43 PM »
Also I thought there was a way to move PCF around in the empire by using the CFN window and setting it as a task. I don't seem to see that option any longer. Am I just losing my mind and remembering incorrectly, overlooking it, or has it been removed?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:59:43 AM »
Quote from: "President-Elect Shang"
Also I thought there was a way to move PCF around in the empire by using the CFN window and setting it as a task. I don't seem to see that option any longer. Am I just losing my mind and remembering incorrectly, overlooking it, or has it been removed?

My recollection is that I had to track PCF movement by hand (both CFN capacity used and arrival time) on a piece of paper, and then move the PCF by hand.  It was a looooong time ago, though :-)

John

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 11:57:15 AM »
I'm working on a new ground combat system to replace the current generic one. I have added some new types of ground units and wanted to know where do I have to add them in order to have them reflected in the "Ground Force" window so they can be bought, upgraded, and so forth.
It's been several years since I did any work on SA so I really don't remember much about it. I have checked the SA database though and there is a PCF table containing a list of PCFs up to TL-15 so that would seem to be a good starting place. I have also searched the code for that table and it is referenced by the Ground Forces window and in the end turn sequence.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:01:40 PM »
I don't remember that option but it's possible I removed it for some reason. Looking at the code, it appears you can move System Items, Prefab Units and Colonists.

Its amazing how primitive it all looks now :).

Steve

Offline Ed Smoker (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 03:11:20 PM »
I must have been remembering incorrectly. Which database would I need to modify to give the ability of moving PCF around? I have added the new PCF types into the correct database and now they can be purchased et. el. from the Ground Forces window; however, they don't reflect in the CFN non-colonization tasks window.

I'm sure it must look a bit archaic now that Aurora is around but look at it this way. You created such a great product that it's in use. That if nothing else is a testament to the craftsmanship.  :D

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 07:34:44 AM »
Quote from: "Ed Smoker"
I must have been remembering incorrectly. Which database would I need to modify to give the ability of moving PCF around? I have added the new PCF types into the correct database and now they can be purchased et. el. from the Ground Forces window; however, they don't reflect in the CFN non-colonization tasks window.

I'm sure it must look a bit archaic now that Aurora is around but look at it this way. You created such a great product that it's in use. That if nothing else is a testament to the craftsmanship.  :D
You can't do that by modifying the database. The code would have to be changed to support the transport of ground units. All the database does is hold the information while the code handles any manipulation of that information.

Steve

Offline Ed Smoker (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »
That was the same conclusion I came to after viewing the database and exploring the relationships. Oh well I suppose I should really start to explore Aurora anyway.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 12:39:18 PM »
Quote from: "Ed Smoker"
That was the same conclusion I came to after viewing the database and exploring the relationships. Oh well I suppose I should really start to explore Aurora anyway.
Please give it a go. Although it's the same genre as Starfire, Aurora is a very different game so its probably worth reading some fiction to give yourself a general idea. I hope you will find it a lot easier to play, especially as you will no longer need a map and counters.

Steve