Author Topic: Campaign Update (6)  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Campaign Update (6)
« on: December 05, 2009, 04:44:10 PM »
Okay guys, I'm having a problem.  The last update posted to this campaign was only completed by using the automated time advance throughout most of it, and every economic turn took a lot of time to get to, because each time advance was approximately 15-30 minutes.  Without the automated feature, I wouldn't have been able to do it at all.  

With all of the talk on the board about NPR issues causing these problems, I decided to crack the database and see if I couldn't dig out the problems, or at least identify them so that Steve could explain enough to me to fix the issues.  Unfortunately, I found multiple errors that had nothing to do with the time advance issues, but ultimately would have been very problematic.  For example, I found that the NPR that was set up at the start of the game somehow got screwed up during race creation.  The NPR was created on an oxygen world, but was set as a methane breathing race that required 0% methane to survive, witha spread of 0%.  This meant that there were no planets that were hospitable for this race, including its home planet.  By the time I cracked the DB I found that the race was reduced to about 18 million in population.  Ouch.  

In addition, I found another error which has been mentioned on the board.  Two NPR's, both of which were activated by other races, had "lost" systems.  They both had one warp point in their home system, connecting them to an adjacent system, but they were unable to see the adjacent system and any ships sent through the warp point were "lost".  

After consulting with Steve, I was able to determine what the problem was and fix it for all three races listed above, although neither I nor Steve have been able to determine the cause.  As this is a 4.46 game Steve may have inadvertently fixed this problem since and thus cannot reproduce it.  

I then searched for whatever might be causing the time advance problems, and found several geo-survey ships and one precursor that appeared to be the cause of the issues.  I fixed those and started the campaign again.  And immediately received error messages indicating that one of the NPR's had again had the problem where they cannot see a system.  When I cracked the DB I found that one of the two NPR's that had had the problem before was apparently poised to probe a warp point in the system they couldn't see, but because they couldn't see the system or the ships in it, they couldn't order those ships to probe the warp point.  Once I fixed that and they could see the system and the ships, they ordered the ships to probe the warp point and immediately "lost" the new system and the ships that jumped into it.  

Now, I can fix this fairly easily now that I know what to look for, and I can probably deal with NPR time advance issues, but from the looks of the posts on the board the time advance issues for version 4.46 are huge and continuing.  It appears that Steve has eliminated or reduced most of them for version 4.7, but if I try to continue with this campaign I'm going to be fixing this kind of thing continuously.  Worse, these problems are likely to cripple most of the NPR's whether I fix them or not.

Therefore, I am ending this campaign at this point.  I'm sorry, as I liked where this was going, but I see no viable alternative.  I have decided to transport part of this campaign to my next, though.  There was another race in this game that was going to be introduced at some point in the future, probably when they ran into the Allied Principalities, and I think I'll use them for the center-piece of my next campaign.  I'm going to wait a little while, though, to make sure that Steve swats a few more bugs before I start the next one.  

Kurt

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Campaign Update (6)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 05:09:39 PM »
Kurt,
Sad to hear that you've had to stop your campaign.  I look forward to your next campaign; I'm sure it will be at your usual high standard  :D
Welchbloke

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 05:37:27 PM »
Dam, Twin Moons strike two! :(

Maybe you can come back to it in a few months using a more stable version, third times the charm!

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 06:23:09 AM »
Boo!
I have the saupgrade scripts for v4.5 - 4.6 and 4.6 - 4.7 (although you have to manually do your commanders or replace the whole lot - I did a bit of both).  It wouldn't be too hard to come up with a 4.4 - 4.5 script if you want to try it.

I'm NPR-less at the moment (though there are plenty of Precursors about), so not sure how well the scripts cope with them.

Stephen

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 08:13:45 AM »
Quote from: "Shinanygnz"
Boo!
I have the saupgrade scripts for v4.5 - 4.6 and 4.6 - 4.7 (although you have to manually do your commanders or replace the whole lot - I did a bit of both).  It wouldn't be too hard to come up with a 4.4 - 4.5 script if you want to try it.

I'm NPR-less at the moment (though there are plenty of Precursors about), so not sure how well the scripts cope with them.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen, but no.  I appreciate the offer, and I used SAupgrade all the time with SA and the Phoenix Campaign, but I get the feeling that Aurora is much more complex, and I'd rather not introduce new instabilities to go with the ones that already running around in the campaign.  

I'm working on the background and pre-start timeline for the next campaign anyway.  Always forward <G>!

Kurt

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
I'm working on the background and pre-start timeline for the next campaign anyway.  Always forward <G>!

Kurt
Cool!
Welchbloke

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 08:52:51 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
In addition, I found another error which has been mentioned on the board.  Two NPR's, both of which were activated by other races, had "lost" systems.  They both had one warp point in their home system, connecting them to an adjacent system, but they were unable to see the adjacent system and any ships sent through the warp point were "lost".  
I am still trying to track this one down so if anyone encounters it, please let me know. It appears to be triggered by an error involving 'RaceSysSurvey.Name'. Also let me know if you are playing with 'real stars' or random stars.

Steve

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 07:38:03 AM »
Thanks for both this and the old Twin Moons Campaign, they were a good read! I especially liked how you managed to alter all the little human-centric sayings to their Strug-versions, really brought the tale to life!