Author Topic: Official v5.20 Bugs Thread  (Read 28981 times)

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
Re: Official v5.20 Bugs Thread
« Reply #210 on: March 23, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »
I thought the reason for reduced speed in nebulas was to avoid damage - thus the need for armour.  It wasn't that your ships had to "push" through the nebula, it was that hitting clouds of tiny particles at 5000 km/s is like being hit by a million Gauss cannons at once.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2011, 08:26:11 AM »
If a ship was 'pushing' its way through the Nebula, its speed wouldn't be reduced to X, it would be reduced to some fraction of the ship's normal speed.  The 'X per level of armour' mechanic implies 'going faster than this will destroy your ship'.

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2011, 09:15:08 AM »
If your speed is limited to 800 because of the nebula, and your regular speed is 1600, you can type in 799 in the speed area and actually go 799.  If the technobabble reason was friction and that you were pushing against it, then it would stand to reason your speed is being reduced by half so instead of going 799 you're really going 399.  That doesn't happen, so I think it's 'going faster will destroy the ship'.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #213 on: April 15, 2011, 12:52:26 PM »
I'm running 5.20 still and I'm getting a bug which I'm not sure is version related or not.

Recently, if I select Military Ships and Fighters on the Commanders (F4) screen I get Error in grdCommanders_SelChange Error 9 Subscript out of range.

Any ideas what's casuing this and any siggestions on how to fix it?

The bug means that I can't manually assign commanders to my recon fighters, every other drop down is just fine.  If I can't fix it then I'm may lose interest and start a new 5.42 campaign.  It would be a real shame as I'm enjoying my current game but I can't stand not being able to do everything properly (Obsessive Compulsive I know).

Any help/advice would really be appreciated.
Welchbloke

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2011, 05:03:20 AM »
I'm running 5.20 still and I'm getting a bug which I'm not sure is version related or not.

Recently, if I select Military Ships and Fighters on the Commanders (F4) screen I get Error in grdCommanders_SelChange Error 9 Subscript out of range.

The bug means that I can't manually assign commanders to my recon fighters, every other drop down is just fine.  If I can't fix it then I'm may lose interest and start a new 5.42 campaign.  It would be a real shame as I'm enjoying my current game but I can't stand not being able to do everything properly (Obsessive Compulsive I know).

I guess no one has any suggestions then?
Welchbloke

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2011, 05:15:09 AM »

I haven't encountered this problem before and I can't see anything obvious, although I am looking at v5.50 code. Usually this error means the bounds of an array have been exceeded. However, I can't see an array in that section of code. How many fighters do you have? BTW I am just about to leave for the Isle of Man so I won't be online again for a day or two.

Steve

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2011, 11:37:39 AM »
I haven't encountered this problem before and I can't see anything obvious, although I am looking at v5.50 code. Usually this error means the bounds of an array have been exceeded. However, I can't see an array in that section of code. How many fighters do you have? BTW I am just about to leave for the Isle of Man so I won't be online again for a day or two.

Steve
At last count I have 861 fighters. To clarify I only get the error when I use the military ships and fighters drop down not the warships and fighters. the difference is 82 fighters between the two options.
Welchbloke

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »
I had a colony on a world with ruins.  My engineers uncovered robotic troops.  I didn't notice that my troops were hurting, so I ordered them to attack.

The robots destroyed my troops, but my troops must have simultaneously destroyed the robots.  I got a message that my colony had surrendered, along with the ships in orbit.  Yet the colony was still there, I still had my ships, but my troops were gone, and I don't see any enemy.  I did not get a message about the enemy units destroyed (that I recall).

I think it's a bug, but maybe its not.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #218 on: April 21, 2011, 11:36:50 PM »
yes there is a bug or two in this area.  Check to make sure that you don't have two colonies on the same body (I've see this happen a couple of times now - one is an "occupied" one and the other is an imperial pop - IIRC the troops end up on the occupied one)
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #219 on: April 22, 2011, 05:48:53 AM »
There was no second colony.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #220 on: April 22, 2011, 07:00:06 AM »
In which case the troops have gone  :( - you'll have to SM them back in (SM-create a troop training facility on the colony, then SM-create the correct numbers of battalions & HQs then delete the training facility)  

You wont be able to duplicate any training/experience that the originals may have had.  

On the other hand you could just assume that the battle was properly Celtic & the last combatants killed each other simultaneously!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:01:45 AM by ZimRathbone »
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #221 on: April 28, 2011, 03:16:34 AM »
At last count I have 861 fighters. To clarify I only get the error when I use the military ships and fighters drop down not the warships and fighters. the difference is 82 fighters between the two options.
Update, now that I have 932 fighters (including scout fighters that are considered military rather than warships) I get the same error with the warships and fighters dropdown selection.  It looks like there is a parameter somewhere that I'm exceeding by trying to show all of the fighters at once.
I've done a quick check and the warships and fighters dropdown would have a total of 921 options.  Looks like something is limiting me to around 900 options in the list.  Is there a VB6 or Access limit at work here?

Edit to add:
I can work around this by setting the minimum rank for all of my other ships to R2 and selecting 'Eligible Commands only'.  This provides enough headroom to assign commanders to the fighters.  I then have to go back and change the minimum rank to R1 for some of my ship classes.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 06:31:30 AM by welchbloke »
Welchbloke

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #222 on: May 01, 2011, 09:52:41 AM »
Update, now that I have 932 fighters (including scout fighters that are considered military rather than warships) I get the same error with the warships and fighters dropdown selection.  It looks like there is a parameter somewhere that I'm exceeding by trying to show all of the fighters at once.
I've done a quick check and the warships and fighters dropdown would have a total of 921 options.  Looks like something is limiting me to around 900 options in the list.  Is there a VB6 or Access limit at work here?

Edit to add:
I can work around this by setting the minimum rank for all of my other ships to R2 and selecting 'Eligible Commands only'.  This provides enough headroom to assign commanders to the fighters.  I then have to go back and change the minimum rank to R1 for some of my ship classes.
Anyone have any ideas about what's causing this?
Welchbloke

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #223 on: May 07, 2011, 05:05:44 AM »
Anyone have any ideas about what's causing this?

I can confirm this bug, as I encouter it too.

With 982 fighters and Ships/PDC (required rank R1, show eligible only) in the "Warships and fighter" list, everything is ok
Changing to rank R2 gives me another 119 ships, giving me the "Error 9, Subscript out or range"

It sure looks like aurora doesn´t like the list getting too large

Playing around a bit, I changed a cruiser from R2 to R1, making it 1004 ships/fighters at R1, and this also gives the error. The magic number seems to be around 1000.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany