Author Topic: Official v5.40 Bugs Thread  (Read 12064 times)

Offline backstab

• Lieutenant
  • b
Re: Official v5.40 Bugs Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »
i had the Error 3052 was generated by DAO.Recordset.  File sharing lock count exceeded.  Increase MaxLocksPerFile registry entry when trying to delete the space race before i created a game

I get the same error

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 07:32:10 PM by backstab »
Move foward and draw fire

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 10:00:50 PM »
I just went through my first officer auto-assign in a new conventional start game:

1)  There seems to be something screwy with the order of events in the Officer history field (i.e. the date sorting doesn't seem to be working, assuming it's not a big text field).  Here's the history for Captain Charlie Glover, who was commisioned 4 years before the start date (i.e. he was an initial officer):

1st January 2100: Promoted to Lieutenant Commander
6th January 2103: Relieved from Intelligence Officer - Fleet Headquarters. Awaiting new orders on Earth
1st January 2100: Assigned to Intelligence - Fleet Headquarters
6th January 2103: Assigned to Missile Complex 011 (Crew Training 50)

This seems to be common through most of my officers.

2)  Captain Glover is the commander of Missile Complex 011, but Missile Complex 011 doesn't know it has a commander!  In other words, I've hit the weird auto-assign bug again.

AHA!!!!  I found it!!!!!  I've got 3 missile bases which show up as "holes" in the potential assignments block (available) and all 3 of which have officers who think they command them.  And all 3 officers' previous assignment was as a staff officer.  So there's almost certianly something in the auto-assign code that is messing up the backpointer from the new assignment to the officer when the officer is given a command.

John

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2011, 01:43:10 AM »
The height of the Commanders window (f4) seems to be a bit short when using the new smaller windows.  It is a bit shorter then the economics window and I can not see the assign button at the bottom.  If I resize the Commanders window to 1280x800 I can see both rows of buttons.  I'm on a 1440x900 monitor running windows xp in case it matters.

Huge thanks on the smaller windows by the way.

Edit*
I just realized I was missing the new button on the class design window also.  Again setting the window size to 1280x800 fixed it.  Although now I am wondering if something on my system is making the windows larger then they need to be.  I already checked the DPI setting and it is at normal size (96dpi).

The buttons at the bottom of the task groups window are also missing but as it looks like you can do all the same things in the naval organization tab maybe that is on purpose.

Edit2*
Just had some NPRs get into a fight and now I keep getting spammed by.

Error in ApplyInternalDamage
Error 6 was generated by Aurora
Overflow
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:12:58 AM by dooots »

Offline georgiaboy1966

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2011, 08:49:02 AM »
Got an Irritant Error. Have not seen it in this thread yet, may have been reported before. I have seen it in many versions.

"Error in ApplyInternalDamage"
"
"Error 6 was generated by Aurora"
"Overflow"

Is an error due to NPR's fighting or Precursors. Is really irritating to have this error happen and have to hit ok to go on. Had one battle take 2 hours to go through with this error happening every 2 or 3 impulses, and was not even my battle.

Glen
Been a playersince BETA of SA, 1993?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:52:26 AM by georgiaboy1966 »
Glen

Been a player since the Beta of SA, 1993?

"Constructive criticism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2011, 10:39:37 AM »
The bad news:  I just created a new conventional start game, then tried to delete the existing game "The Space Race" (as I always do).  I got an "Error 3052 was generated by DAO.Recordset.  File sharing lock count exceeded.  Increase MaxLocksPerFile registry entry." in cmdDeleteGame.  I checked the registry, and the value (in Jet) was 9500, so I didn't think bumping it up a little would do any good.  I've never seen this error before - is it possible that this is due to a weird resource leak?

John

I was able to delete the existing ("Space Race") game by going into the game, deleting all the player races (NATO/SOV/CHINA), then exiting.  After restarting (and clicking through a couple of funny "MDI" errors)  I was able to delete the space race game without running into the lock problem.

John

PS -  Make sure to back up your database before trying this at home, kids :-)

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2011, 11:06:29 AM »
I'm on XP SP 3. Display is set to 1600x900

I got the error trying to delete the Space Race games.
I'm also unable to view the bottom of windows with Reduced Height Windows set. I can fake the 1600x1080 resolution and use the standard windows without a problem.

--Mav

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2011, 11:14:36 AM »
The reason that I was trying to delete the old game was that I just ran into the same "can't find research projects that should be there" problem that someone else reported a while back.

I'm about 7 years into a conventional start game, and I realized I couldn't see projects like the next research or construction level anywhere (neither current, nor queued, nor available).  Finally, I started cancelling researchers' projects 1-by-1, and discovered that the missing projects reappeared as projects were deleted.

[long pause while poking around in DB]

Ok - I'm pretty sure I know what's going on.  I've got a researcher "Eve Richards" who's working on 12cm lasers.  When I cancel the project, Fuel Production 24,000 magically reappears.  Here's the interesting fact:  Eve Richards' project ID (which is the key for the ResearchProject table) is #669.  The TechSystemID (key in the TechSystem table) for Fuel Prod 24,000 is #669.  Hmmmm seems like a coincidence :-)  It looks like the query that displays the available research projects is somehow confusing the project ID with the TechSystemID.

John

PS - Any chance of getting a 5.41 patch for this one and the officer auto-assign bug?  On the auto-assign, I don't need a DB repair, I'd just like Aurora to "go forth and sin no more" :-)

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »
Immediately after first contact, I began to get the following error:
Error in UpdateAllSensors
Error 6 was generated by Aurora
Overflow
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2011, 12:12:16 AM »
Started a new game.    Tried to change the empire name after gamestart, from the F2 industry screen I realized i could type it in there. 

Then I loaded up my construction orders, and these errors are popping up.    The orders still go through.   

Error in cmdStartProduction_click
Error 381 was generated by Aurora
Invalid property array index

Changed name back, left window, opened it up again, and it was normal.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:30:09 AM by Thiosk »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: reduced size windows
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2011, 03:38:04 AM »
Hi Steve,
I would like to thank you for including the reduced size windows, however there is a problem with them.  
When I tried them on my 1280x800 laptop, the windows were made smaller but they were still cut off.
I tried them with a 1440x900 monitor attached and both the full and reduced size windows worked fine.

My operating system is vista 32 bit and I have attached a screen shot of one of the affected windows.

Thank you for your time
    Naismith

Thanks for the screenshot. Several people have reported this problem and at the moment I am not sure what is causing it. The window you can see is the reduced height version because of the control layout. I think Windows itself is cutting the height down. My best guess at the moment is related to the fact that Windows will cut off a normal window that is too large to display. The Aurora code takes the current window height and reduces it by a set amount using a Height = Height - X formula rather than specifying an absolute value. I wonder if Windows is cutting down the full size window and then the code is reducing it even further. To fix this I think I would have to specify absolute window heights instead of relative window heights.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:41:59 AM by Steve Walmsley »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2011, 03:50:40 AM »
On the "really minor bug" list: when you fixed the assignment reporting upon death bug, it had the unintended consequence (I'm guessing) of causing the assignment to be printed in the event log, even when the medical problem doesn't kill the officer in question.

That's working as intended. All medical problems are reported as events so you can see if an officer could soon have a problem

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2011, 03:53:35 AM »
When I press "delete" in Class Design window a few times (probably more than designs I planned) it gives me a database error. 

P. S.  Same happens when I click checkboxes without pressing "new" first.

Fixed for v5.41

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2011, 03:54:53 AM »
I can confirm various problems with reduced height windows.  There are some controls which my screen reader's mouse movement can't reach, because they are off the nominal bottom of the 1280 by 800 screen.  Prime examples are the row of buttons at the bottom of the Leaders window, and the aforementioned economics buttons as well.
I am able to tab to some of these controls, though the tab order is more than a bit nonsensical.  Still, a fix for these windows would be great, as not being able to read all of them currently renders things tedious at best and unuseable at worst.

I think I have figured out the problem with the reduced height windows and I will post a patch later today. Tab order is a complete mess :). I really need to go through each window and sort it out. Just trying to generate the necessary enthusiasm :)

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2011, 03:56:17 AM »

While writing this post i have saved my game and exchanged it with the one in the 5.4 patch file the space race has the expand civilian economy 20% at 10k RP and 40k RP but not the 20k RP

I think that the expand civilian economy 20% 20K RP is being hidden in the db and attempting to delete the space race deleted the other two causing the 20K to be seen as the first/ only tech in it's branch

There is only ever one expand civilian economy tech. When you research it, the same tech comes back but with double the research points.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2011, 04:02:33 AM »
Steve,

When there are no Naval Personnel in the top rank ( showing as (0) in the menu ) then I keep getting the following error as the cursor seems to default to the highest rank on processing a turn .  The top rank at the commencement of the game is devoid of personnel -

Error in GetCommanderName
Error 94 was generated by Aurora
Invalid use of Null

Unquote

DavidR

I can't recreate this one so there must be some other factor at work. I assume you have the commanders window open and you get this every time you increment time? What happens if you have a different rank selected?

Steve