Author Topic: Big Badass Battleships  (Read 7279 times)

Offline ThatBlondeGuy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
Re: Big Badass Battleships
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2012, 12:29:30 PM »
To be honest, I'm not that bothered about the armour system my primary gripe has always been with missiles and there extremely long range.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2012, 12:55:14 PM »
To be honest, I'm not that bothered about the armour system my primary gripe has always been with missiles and there extremely long range.
Which part?
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »
The components would have to go from a generalized abstract to specific distribution within the hull.
Not necessarily, damage could be allocated(to outside components) the way that it is allocated to the armor belt in general. if the random number picks the slot the turret is on top of that takes the hit. Or psuedo armor columns to represent such components, it could be done.

Agreed. I think the armor system I'm asking for is a separate armor box for every component you choose to armor, with turrets outside the "main belt" and internalt component like magazines and engines having their armor box inside.

That part wouldn't necessarily work out like that, you can't pick the number of columns you want, that is decided by the volume->radius->area calculation, and putting stuff on the outside would corespondingly weaken the belt, which would probably make the ship as a whole less well protected. A 750 ton turret would have 3-4 columns to start out with for instance, and the HTK model might actually turn out to be more survivable for them.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:28:30 PM by Nathan_ »