Author Topic: Turn off error reporting?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Tigerhunter (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • T
Turn off error reporting?
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:52:04 PM »
Long story short, a bug keeps coming up and the error message won't allow me to do anything else until I close and re-open the game.  It comes up every time I advance time, making the game unplayable.  The bug doesn't appear to actually affect anything, so I'd like to just turn off error reporting and ignore it.  Barring that, I believe the bug is caused by blank NPR commander names, so if there's any way to edit those, that would work too. 

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

For completeness, the error is:
Error in GetCommanderName
Error 94 was generated by Aurora
Invalid use of Null
Please report etc.

I would report it, but a bunch of people already have, and I'm running an old version for some reason.

Thanks again!

Offline PSI

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
Re: Turn off error reporting?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:31:26 PM »
It may look like it's not a problem, but the computer thinks differently.  If the computer thought nothing was wrong, then there would be no errors.
I don't know how to fix it though. . .

Incidentally, why are you using an older version?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 07:05:07 AM »
Long story short, a bug keeps coming up and the error message won't allow me to do anything else until I close and re-open the game.  It comes up every time I advance time, making the game unplayable.  The bug doesn't appear to actually affect anything, so I'd like to just turn off error reporting and ignore it.  Barring that, I believe the bug is caused by blank NPR commander names, so if there's any way to edit those, that would work too. 

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

For completeness, the error is:
Error in GetCommanderName
Error 94 was generated by Aurora
Invalid use of Null
Please report etc.

I would report it, but a bunch of people already have, and I'm running an old version for some reason.

Thanks again!

First, check your own commander names. Fastest way is in the F4 commanders window. Just select each rank and check every name in the list.

If that doesn't work (which means an NPR is causing the problem), you will need to edit the database in Access. If you have Access, let me know and I will explain how to handle the edit.

Offline Tigerhunter (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »
@ PSI: I'm honestly not sure.  I must have clicked the wrong thread in the installation forum.

Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=7005. msg71797#msg71797 date=1398168307
First, check your own commander names.  Fastest way is in the F4 commanders window.  Just select each rank and check every name in the list.

If that doesn't work (which means an NPR is causing the problem), you will need to edit the database in Access.  If you have Access, let me know and I will explain how to handle the edit.

Wow, was not expecting a reply from the designer himself.  Thanks for taking the time to help out a newbie!

I checked my commander names based on your advice to other people with the same bug, everything checks out there.  I'll download Access (Microsoft Access, I'm assuming?) and try to figure things out.  Thanks again for your help.

P. S.  Your game rocks.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 02:29:34 PM »
If you don't have Access (2003 or better IIRC) you can use Open Office/Base.  It takes a bit of setup, but does work.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley