Author Topic: Your Next Empire  (Read 4513 times)

Offline 83athom (OP)

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Your Next Empire
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:40:18 AM »
What will you do in your next game after the eventual update will wipe you save. What kind of theme and design doctrine will you employ. Anything else on how you handle colonization, shipbuilding, construction, bases, ect.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline 83athom (OP)

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Your Next Empire
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:20:54 AM »
I plan on doing a pseudo Halo UNSC theme and design doctrine. Cruisers are around 100k tons, frigates are said to be about 1/3 the size so they'll be 30k-40k, destroyers are twice that so 60k-80k, and I did the math about the UNSC Infinity class and it is about 20-21 times the size of a cruiser so it'll be about 2,000,000 or so tons when I eventually build it (and I will legitly), it also caries ten of my favorite looking (design wise) ship of all time, the Strident class frigate, as well as 2400 missiles of varying sizes. So i'll be focusing on kinetic and missile weapons, ships will have heavier armor than normal, as well as almost all ships carrying troops (lore of UNSC that every ship carries troops). I am tempted to spawn in an OP NPC empire a distance away that Ill have to fight a while after I start, or maybe I'll RP about a certain spoiler that can tend be OP to the unprepared. It'll also mean I'm going to build a multitude of anchorages (star bases) as the UNSC had a lot of them. Don't know how I'll do some of the things though, like the 92/EVA aka the Open Frame 96/Extra-Vehicular Activity Booster Frame (the SPARTAN-II's personal fighter/transport to enemy ships that are quite OP and epic [maybe RP the company drop pods when used against ships] from Halo Legends and Halo Escalation, look it up)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:54:46 PM by 83athom »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 11:48:57 AM »
I'm REALLY attached to my current campaign but someday I'm going to create a truly weird alt. history setting that begins in 1600 A.D. With early modern alchemists inventing a galaxy-jumping transnewtonian drive that can take them all over the universe. Jesuits will feature prominently, ships will be heavily shielded and made out of wood, with "mass drivers" that are modeled off of 17th century cannon, and the aliens will be modeled off of things from astrological/demonological lore. Lots of unusual rules: no missiles, no armor, no lasers, no fighters, no terraforming, ect

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:51:04 AM by Theodidactus »
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 02:36:38 PM »
Looking forward to it!

I have sometimes pondered the challenges of colonizing space as a Catholic.  Any new colony, as I see it, would need a substantial enough supply of bread, wine, oil, and bishops, to last until it could grow to begin producing its own, in order for the sacraments to be available and the apostolic succession to be unbroken.  And what of planets whose soil, for one reason or another, doesn't support wheat, grapevines, or olive trees?  Either you've got to have interplanetary supply lines that never fail, or the Pope and bishops are going to have to consider some difficult questions, like, can a Mass be valid with only one species (the bread or the wine) present but not both?

Also I can see the Just War doctrine influencing the way that decisions are made.  And certainly lots of politics between missionaries and different religious orders.  And then, converting the aliens!

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 03:09:28 PM »
Looking forward to it!

I have sometimes pondered the challenges of colonizing space as a Catholic.  Any new colony, as I see it, would need a substantial enough supply of bread, wine, oil, and bishops, to last until it could grow to begin producing its own, in order for the sacraments to be available and the apostolic succession to be unbroken.  And what of planets whose soil, for one reason or another, doesn't support wheat, grapevines, or olive trees?  Either you've got to have interplanetary supply lines that never fail, or the Pope and bishops are going to have to consider some difficult questions, like, can a Mass be valid with only one species (the bread or the wine) present but not both?

Also I can see the Just War doctrine influencing the way that decisions are made.  And certainly lots of politics between missionaries and different religious orders.  And then, converting the aliens!

The question of whether or not alien beings might exist free from original sin was actually a hot topic at my alma mater, but your questions didn't come up.

My current campaign has looked at the future state of the catholic church as well, but things ended rather badly for the 13 million exiled south american catholics that ended up on Maidensong.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »
My questions are less relevant to Aurora, where it's trivial to send supply ships to your colonies once a year.  In the real world, when you're thinking about long one-way trips to colonize distant worlds, it would definitely require thought.  What do Catholics do if men settle on Mars but for some reason you can't produce grapes there?

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 03:45:34 PM »
I'm REALLY attached to my current campaign but someday I'm going to create a truly weird alt. history setting that begins in 1600 A.D. With early modern alchemists inventing a galaxy-jumping transnewtonian drive that can take them all over the universe. Jesuits will feature prominently, ships will be heavily shielded and made out of wood, with "mass drivers" that are modeled off of 17th century cannon, and the aliens will be modeled off of things from astrological/demonological lore. Lots of unusual rules: no missiles, no armor, no lasers, no fighters, no terraforming, ect

When DON'T the men in black feature?
hmm, actually,  the MiB as Jesuits, that has potential...

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 07:55:45 PM »
My questions are less relevant to Aurora, where it's trivial to send supply ships to your colonies once a year.  In the real world, when you're thinking about long one-way trips to colonize distant worlds, it would definitely require thought.  What do Catholics do if men settle on Mars but for some reason you can't produce grapes there?
Can you imagine the hand-wrangling for Muslims on Mars to decide how to place their mats so that they are facing towards Mecca? Every prayer room needs an telescope so that you can locate Earth first.

For my next campaign, I'll probably try to reproduce the excellent if very old Twin Moons Campaign by Kurt:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,39.0.html
The premise is great and with all the changes that Aurora has gone through since, it'll be interesting to see how it would pan out. Plus, I've never had to really defend Earth in my conventional starts (except the one time a wormhole appeared and that game ended quickly), so it would also be something that I don't have personal experience on.

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 11:25:35 PM »
I was also thinking that Catholics have one advantage in the interstellar age, in that Latin will likely be the common language of "air traffic control" for starships.  Just as English is the common language for airports today.  Why Latin?  Because when you're dealing with relativity, and the passage of (relative) decades or centuries for round trips, you need a language with a fixed grammar and lexicon.  You can't rely on any still-evolving language, like 21st century English, to still be intelligible a thousand years from now.  It's going to be hard enough to train up a starship pilot, so why also require a Latin degree, when you could, instead, just train a pilot who already got Latin in grade school?  Again this doesn't apply much to Aurora.

Offline JOKER

• Chief Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 10:20:37 AM »
Looking for a really huge battle. 12 Battlestars, 80kt each, with their battlegroups and vipers, against 1000% difficulty Cylon toasters.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 04:50:59 PM »
My next game will be interesting.  I'm sure you've all heard of Twitch Plays Pokemon?  Well my idea is to try something similar with Aurora.  I plan on having a thread on a different forum in which I post updates, list a few possible courses of action, and then let the other posters decide what I do.  Should be fun.

Offline 83athom (OP)

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 07:17:55 PM »
Anyone know how to effectively use dropships and how to put the troops into the dropships from a main ship. This is for my test game of my pseudo-UNSC game (playing as the UEG [Unified Earth government], the civilian government before and after the martial law of the human-covenant war put the UNSC in charge).

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 01:08:12 PM »
My next game will be interesting.  I'm sure you've all heard of Twitch Plays Pokemon?  Well my idea is to try something similar with Aurora.  I plan on having a thread on a different forum in which I post updates, list a few possible courses of action, and then let the other posters decide what I do.  Should be fun.
Sounds interesting. Keep us updated!

Anyone know how to effectively use dropships and how to put the troops into the dropships from a main ship. This is for my test game of my pseudo-UNSC game (playing as the UEG [Unified Earth government], the civilian government before and after the martial law of the human-covenant war put the UNSC in charge).
You need to launch the dropship into a separate TG from the troop transport and then give it orders from the TG window to "combat load" the unit(s) you want, if I remember correctly. It's been a while so I might misremember whether they needed to be in the same TG or different TG's.

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 01:28:08 PM »
There are orders for combat loading both for the ships in same TG and for different TG's.

I haven't heard about Twitch Plays Pokemon, but yeah, I would like to see it too.

Offline vstyds

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • v
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 08:54:21 PM »
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=7579. msg76809#msg76809 date=1415843745
Can you imagine the hand-wrangling for Muslims on Mars to decide how to place their mats so that they are facing towards Mecca? Every prayer room needs an telescope so that you can locate Earth first.

I'd imagine that, at such a distance, just pointing towards the general position of Earth would suffice.

I also suppose that my Islamic Caliphate has ships with a room with a mechanical floor that rotates so the mats can be placed pointing directly towards the home planet.  Or praying is okay but if circumstances don't permit it customs dictate that it's okay not to pray.