Author Topic: Your Next Empire  (Read 4552 times)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Your Next Empire
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 08:06:05 AM »
Perhaps they will compromise and take a piece of Mecca with them to new colonies, then face that .
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 11:21:49 AM »
I'd imagine that, at such a distance, just pointing towards the general position of Earth would suffice.

I also suppose that my Islamic Caliphate has ships with a room with a mechanical floor that rotates so the mats can be placed pointing directly towards the home planet.  Or praying is okay but if circumstances don't permit it customs dictate that it's okay not to pray.

This actually comes up in something I'm writing. There's also the question of what constitutes a "day" in space given that historically the prayer ritual and several bathing/fasting ceremonies correspond with sunrise and sunset and depending on where you are that can be once an hour or once a year.

There have been several Muslim astronauts already and a council of religious scholars in malaysia has attempted to put together guidelines for praying in space

http://syariahmaqasid.blogspot.com/2010/03/guideline-of-performing-ibadah-at.html
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 12:07:50 AM »
 I may never have a 'next empire' -- it wouldn't shock me if I'm playing the same save 5 or 10 real-life years from now.  But if I do, it will be a multi-faction Sol start with international corporations as the factions.  The concept I'm not sure about is whether to have the corporations wage war on each other in Sol, or have a government that enforces peace locally at first, with wars breaking out in the galactic expansion phase. 

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 09:32:50 PM »
Due to the drunken rantings of a friend about their ideas for a video game.

I shall play an empire of loli pirates.

No techs greater than 10k may be researched normally. After that point, everything must be salvaged, stolen, or reverse engineered.

Lower gravity tolerance (due to little bodies) but heightened temp range due to already being full of hot air.

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 12:23:21 AM »
Interesting idea -- I'd definitely be up for reading about that universe.