Author Topic: Problems with auto assignments  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
Problems with auto assignments
« on: January 02, 2015, 09:11:09 AM »
Hopefully I am just not understanding how this feature works but I have an issue with auto assignments and ship class ranks. As far as I understand things the higher the number set in the class screen then the higher the priority will be given to ships without a commander at that rank level. So if I say I have a carrier that I say requires a captain and has a priority level of 6, then have a destroyer with a requirement of commander rank at priority level 3. This means if I have 3 captains and 4 carriers, all 3 captains will be assigned to a carrier with the remaining one available to anywhere. If I had only 2 captains then half of the carriers will be left with no commander at all as none of the required rank are free. Is this correct?

My problem is things are not working like this, I have carriers that have no commander, and yet destroyers are flying around with a captain in command, should the carriers have not been given priority for the captains? Just to clear up anything, this happens after each new tour assignment so it is clearly not a case of a commander having to finish a tour.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Problems with auto assignments
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »
I've had this happen to me a lot as well. I found that auto assignments can be a bit dumb. The best way to deal with it is to reassign them after auto-assignments place them.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »
Note that the game does not change the assignments when a leader gets promoted. Only when the tour time is up. So a commander gets assigned to a destroyer, gets promoted to a captain, but the Bureau of Personnel does not assign him to a carrier. Until the 60-month tour is up (or whatever you chose) at which point everything/-one is shuffled around.

It also leaves leaders on the shore and ships empty if their skills do not match.

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »
It also leaves leaders on the shore and ships empty if their skills do not match.

That part I was not aware of, so how do you tell what skills are right for what ship? Obviously something set as a geo survey ship just wants to have someone with good survey skills. But does a carrier want fleet movement bonuses fighter operations for example? Then what on Betelgeuse will be required by a missile destroyer or a beam armed cruiser?

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 03:35:56 PM »
From what I know:

Miners and fuel harvesters take officers with Mining;
Salvagers and gate builders take Production officers;
Survey ships take Survey officers;
Carriers take Deck Crew (fighter ops) officers (probably wrong, because the best officers in that field seem to be placed not into carriers, but on other ships);
Terraformers get officers with Terraforming bonus;
Fighters take officers with Fighter Combat bonus.

And that's all. Every other ship in the fleet will get their officer based on... nothing in particular, though the best trainers (the ones with the best Crew Trainer score) almost all got military assignments.

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 03:38:36 PM »
Hmm seems to be an issue with the assignment process then, as this issue happens constantly for the past few years game time. I tried setting short tour lengths to get a few tour cycles out of it and still see an issue. I'll have to shift it over to the bug section instead.