Author Topic: Class VS Design  (Read 4068 times)

Offline Caplin (OP)

Class VS Design
« on: September 06, 2015, 03:37:52 PM »
Hi All,

Can somebody clarify the difference between a ship class and a design for me? It seems kind of odd to have such a divide. I guess I'm just used to Aurora where the two seem more or less synonymous. I'm not sure why we need to create classes based on our designs after already, well, designing them.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Class VS Design
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 09:36:32 PM »
Yes, it seems a little weird to me too, and I don't remember the reasoning.  I have a vague recollection that one shares designs with other powers, rather than sharing classes.  So I think the idea might be that your class and another race's class are different classes, but point to the same design.

John

Offline Caplin (OP)

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 12:39:17 AM »
I suppose that makes sense. I'll just get used to it playing solo I guess. :)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 03:49:49 AM »
Could it be sonething like class meaning type? Aka battleship class, carrier class, etc.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 06:35:32 AM »
You can have the same design but for example 3 or more different classes of the ship.  This is useful for colliers, I have 3 different loadouts of the collier but only one design.  I can also give the design to an alien race and have them build me the ship, then it is class A when I refit it for me it becomes class B and I can then use it.

The design is the way the systems go together, the class determines the magazine load out, the small craft load out and the XO load out plus the name.  Any or all of these can be different for different races or even the same race as I say above.

Offline Starslayer_D

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »
Ohh  nice, I hadn't even considered using it that way for colliers....