Author Topic: Status of tactical map  (Read 5210 times)

Offline Caplin (OP)

Status of tactical map
« on: September 12, 2015, 01:17:50 PM »
Hi All,

So I'm wondering about the status of the tactical map window. It's dawning on me that I won't be able to make much more progress with SF unless I can find a solution to dealing with stuff below the strategic level.

Something like a Braille hex map is impractical, but computer support ought to make this theoretically doable. I had a spreadsheet at one point which was basically a conversion of the ISF system map, but have since lost it.

The tactical window claims to still be under construction. Granted, I can't read the map, per se, but the controls for maneuvering ships, firing, etc seem to be accessible.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Even something like a first contact situation seems to require at least a bit of lower-level movement.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Status of tactical map
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 09:33:32 AM »
My recollection is that it (the tactical window) was never finished - that was when Steve switched over to developing Aurora.

I also recall that at the time Marvin had signed a deal with a computer company to create a computer-based tactical Starfire game.  I don't know whatever became of it, but you might try looking for that.

[edit] I also recall a system for people to design (computer versions of) their own hex games, but my memory is failing me on what it's called.  I just spent some time Googling for it and couldn't find it (I don't think it was Vassal - I think it was something like "GameBox").  I would think that at this point someone would have written a "generic" application that lets you simply place counters on a hex board, but I couldn't find one.  I'm also not sure how that would fit in with your mechanisms for turning video into audio....

John
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:40:50 AM by sloanjh »

Offline Caplin (OP)

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 11:38:27 AM »
Thanks, John. That isn't precisely what I wanted to hear, butI appreciate it.

Nothing became of the computer game, as far as I'm aware. I'll have to look for an accessible hex board program. My hopes aren't very high, I've been trying to find such a thing for quite a while.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 06:53:50 PM »
My recollection is that it (the tactical window) was never finished - that was when Steve switched over to developing Aurora.

I also recall that at the time Marvin had signed a deal with a computer company to create a computer-based tactical Starfire game.  I don't know whatever became of it, but you might try looking for that.

[edit] I also recall a system for people to design (computer versions of) their own hex games, but my memory is failing me on what it's called.  I just spent some time Googling for it and couldn't find it (I don't think it was Vassal - I think it was something like "GameBox").  I would think that at this point someone would have written a "generic" application that lets you simply place counters on a hex board, but I couldn't find one.  I'm also not sure how that would fit in with your mechanisms for turning video into audio....

John

As a result of the deal Marvin did with the game company, he informed me I couldn't add a tactical map as that would break his agreement with that company. The tactical map in Aurora is similar to what Starfire Assistant would have had. As far as I know, the game company never built any software though for Starfire. On the bright side, without all the problems with Marvin, Aurora would never have existed :)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 08:25:22 PM »
As a result of the deal Marvin did with the game company, he informed me I couldn't add a tactical map as that would break his agreement with that company. The tactical map in Aurora is similar to what Starfire Assistant would have had. As far as I know, the game company never built any software though for Starfire. On the bright side, without all the problems with Marvin, Aurora would never have existed :)
Does that mean he's back on your Christmas card list? ;)

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 04:48:06 PM »
Does that mean he's back on your Christmas card list? ;)

Let sleeping dogs lie
Don't poke a sleeping Bear

*sidles away from Erik*
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.