Author Topic: Considering Change to Maintenance Facilities  (Read 16524 times)

Offline DaMachinator

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Considering Change to Maintenance Facilities
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2016, 11:22:13 AM »
Carbon disulfide is over twice as compressible as water, with ethyl alcohol more compressible still.

They still aren't very compressible - carbon disulfide decreases in volume by 94 ppm per 1 ATM increase in pressure, and ethyl alcohol by 111 ppm per 1 ATM increase in pressure.
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.

Online bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2016, 10:06:37 AM »
Carbon disulfide is over twice as compressible as water, with ethyl alcohol more compressible still.

They still aren't very compressible - carbon disulfide decreases in volume by 94 ppm per 1 ATM increase in pressure, and ethyl alcohol by 111 ppm per 1 ATM increase in pressure.
Yes, but I wouldn't store either in bulk tanks on a spacecraft.  Carbon disulfide seems rather useless, and tanks full of ethanol near military units have a disturbing tendency to suddenly turn up empty.  The Soviets apparently had serious problems with military units becoming disabled because the alcohol hydraulic fluids had disappeared.  This was great for NATO, because it disabled both the soldiers and the tanks at the same time.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline DaMachinator

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2016, 11:30:48 AM »
Yes, but I wouldn't store either in bulk tanks on a spacecraft.  Carbon disulfide seems rather useless, and tanks full of ethanol near military units have a disturbing tendency to suddenly turn up empty.  The Soviets apparently had serious problems with military units becoming disabled because the alcohol hydraulic fluids had disappeared.  This was great for NATO, because it disabled both the soldiers and the tanks at the same time.
Carbon disulfide is a great non-polar solvent. Why you would need this is beyond me, but it is.

On ethanol:
Since when was any navy ever completely free of alcoholic beverages?
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.

Online bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2016, 02:51:27 PM »
Carbon disulfide is a great non-polar solvent. Why you would need this is beyond me, but it is.
I'm building a warship, not a chemical plant.

On ethanol:
Since when was any navy ever completely free of alcoholic beverages?
Never, but that doesn't mean you should provide large quantities of ethanol for them to play with.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2016, 06:34:24 PM »
Obviously the answer is to make the entire ship out of compressible fluid.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2016, 11:13:03 AM »
No longer are they torchships, but they now become boozeships.