Author Topic: Help with new colonies  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
Help with new colonies
« on: March 29, 2015, 04:30:11 PM »
I have setup a few things in my current game so I have a few different sub species living in my empire, two of these happen to share the exact characteristics of humans. My problem is that civilian colony ships keep dumping them on new worlds which start up new colonies. I had originally set things up so I had humans on Earth, then the two other species on a terraformed Mars & Luna.

On the one had I don't mind the extra colonies appearing as I can easily view it as a multicultural planet, but I am slightly concerned over whether or not these new colonies will be totally independent of the main one on that planet. So for example I have a nice colony working on Mars, now a new colonies starts to grow on Mars of humans from Earth. Will this new colony be able to benefit from the ground force "police" I have already stationed at the main Mars colony or will they end up demanding their own protection?

Offline Haji

• Captain
Re: Help with new colonies
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 06:11:13 PM »
If my memory serves it will be completely independent as if it was set on another planet. It will have it's own population, industry and protection needs.

Offline Sirce

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 06:55:58 PM »
I'm not an expert but as far as I can tell, the best use of sub-species is to put them on planet or moons that are outside of habitable range of the main specie.  For example, a low gravity moon that has many nice stuff could have a sub-specie human that can tolerate this lower gravity.  This will make it so that ONLY that sub-species live there since regular humans cannot.

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 02:50:16 AM »
Looks like they are totally independent from the main colony as they have just had enough new arrivals to demand protection. So it seems the only things that are shared are the total planet mineral amounts in the ground, and any system protection values. Bit of a shame as they are part of the same empire so it would of been nice to have them mixed, I guess it is simply too complex to try and get colonies with mixed races though.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:28:52 AM »
Aurora: Apartheid in space.
Actually, I'm thinking of making a race that can survive Titan without needing infrastructure, I thought it might be a problem, but if I remove all the infrastructure then there won't be any room for normal humans right?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 03:27:42 PM »
I'm not an expert but as far as I can tell, the best use of sub-species is to put them on planet or moons that are outside of habitable range of the main specie.  For example, a low gravity moon that has many nice stuff could have a sub-specie human that can tolerate this lower gravity.  This will make it so that ONLY that sub-species live there since regular humans cannot.
Sometimes you get an alien race which requires less oxygen, and this can make it dramatically cheaper to terraform worlds for them.  Not only do you need to add less oxygen, but you can also get away with less of the "filler" gases like nitrogen because you only need enough so that the oxygen is less than 30% of the total.  I don't know if this can be achieved with human sub-species or not.

Offline Sirce

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 05:54:28 PM »
Yes you can do that with sub-Human species.  You need to research Base Oxygen amount -XX%.  The lower it is, the less oxygen needed.  Making a low-gravity, low temp, and low oxygen sub-Human will make it cheaper to terraform planets for them, since most are smaller, colder, and less gravity than Earth.