Author Topic: Task Forces question?  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Narmio (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • N
Task Forces question?
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:15:48 PM »
So, I've been playing this awesome game for a little while now, and I've finally got a fleet of military ships rolling out of the shipyards.  I've created a new Task Force, the Colonial Defence Force, which will be based at our main extrasolar colony at Barnard's Star until we can build something with a flag bridge - a little oversight there by our Naval R&D guys!

So, I create a task force, assign a commander, the game auto-assigns all the other staff posts.   I move to assign ships to that TF.   After figuring out that the drop-down at the top left of the F12 window won't do it, I come here and read that the Naval Organisation tab to the right of that window.   But I can't figure out what to do there.   Fleet Headquarters and the Colonial Defence Force appear on the left, and there's a load of buttons on the right.   The way I figure it I've got to add a "Branch" to the new Task Force then I can add my task group(s) to that?

Only I can't figure out how to add a branch.  I click the TF I want, then click "Add" under "Modify Organisation Branches" and I get a popup that says "Please select a task force or branch on the organisation chart to which you wish to add a sub-branch. "  But I thought that's what clicking on "Colonial Defence Force" (so it's highlighted) was! I thought that thing on the left with just the two TFs was the "organisation chart"! What am I missing here? How do I "select a task force or branch", and is that indeed what I need to be doing to get my fleet training?

Also, they have to be in the same system as the Task Force Command to benefit from their TF Training bonuses, right?  So if I train them in a system with their commanders on a colony then send them next door to where there appear to be some hostile contacts, they'll operate as if untrained unless I refit one of my cruisers to have a Flag Bridge? But that's a much smaller problem, I can't get Task Forces to work at all, never mind moving them around just yet!

Thanks in advance.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Task Forces question?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »
From what you describe, you're doing the right thing.  When you say you click the TF you want, is it in the "Naval Organization" panel in the lower left quadrant (below "Time and Distance")?  It should be.  When I just clicked on that, then clicked on "Add" in the Modify Organization Branches section (top left button in the load of buttons), I get a pop-up "Please enter the name for the new branch on the organization chart".  (This is in 5.2)  I'm at a loss for what you could be doing wrong.  Did you try adding a branch to "Fleet Headquarters" too?  The only way I had to get the dialog you saw to appear was to highlight an actual ship in the Naval Org panel.

Another thing to try: close the F12 window, reopen it again, go to th 4th tab, and immediately hit the add button without trying to highlight a TF.  When I tried this, it worked - I assume the tab opens with Fleet Headquarters selected.

As for the rest of your questions.  My understanding is that the training bonus applies even when the TF HQ is in another system, but the TF doesn't get the various bonuses (e.g. comm) from the HQ when it's in the other system.

John

Offline dalord0

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 03:01:35 AM »
What I usually do is go f12 select the tf with all the ships you want to move, then go to the 2nd tab and use the dropdowns and arrows in the bottom right to move them into the new tf

Offline Narmio (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 03:25:32 AM »
Wow, I swear I did exactly the same thing repeatedly before - select a task force, hit Add, and it gave me the "nothing selected" popup.   I try it now, I get a new branch, everything goes perfectly.   As far as I can tell I did exactly the same thing before to no avail.   I can't reproduce it, though.   It doesn't seem to have anything to do with opening/closing the F12 window, I know I did that when it wasn't working.

I had been playing for quite a while at the time, and had got a few random errors doing odd things, and I'd ignored those.   I wonder if it was some kind of intermittent memory-related thing that was causing that field not to populate under those very specific circumstances.   Unless it's happened to anyone else the chances of us being able to isolate it and Steve being able to fix it are probably poor.   I just had a fiddle then and couldn't reproduce it at all, I tried loads of stuff.

Well, it's good to know I was doing the right thing, I guess.   Thanks for the help.  If I ever get that error again I'll pay more attention and submit a bug report of some kind.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 07:57:13 AM »
What I usually do is go f12 select the tf with all the ships you want to move, then go to the 2nd tab and use the dropdowns and arrows in the bottom right to move them into the new tf

This will not change the fleet organization, nor will it put the new TG (the thing you create in the 2nd tab) into the correct TF (the thing that has a fleet commander and staff).  The pulldown on this tab to set the TF doesn't "stick" - it pops back to the original TF the moment the window refreshes (this is a long-standing bug from the days before the 4th tab/fleet organization was put into place).  The only way to get a TG into a TF so the TF commander can be used for training is to use the 4th tab and then create a TG from that tab using the 3rd row of buttons "Create Task Groups/Land Parasites".

BTW, note that the training rate depends on the TF HQ's "Crew training" rating - if it's 0 training won't do any good.

John

Offline dalord0

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 01:44:20 PM »
Quote from: sloanjh link=topic=3292. msg31605#msg31605 date=1298987833
This will not change the fleet organization, nor will it put the new TG (the thing you create in the 2nd tab) into the correct TF (the thing that has a fleet commander and staff).   The pulldown on this tab to set the TF doesn't "stick" - it pops back to the original TF the moment the window refreshes (this is a long-standing bug from the days before the 4th tab/fleet organization was put into place).   The only way to get a TG into a TF so the TF commander can be used for training is to use the 4th tab and then create a TG from that tab using the 3rd row of buttons "Create Task Groups/Land Parasites".

BTW, note that the training rate depends on the TF HQ's "Crew training" rating - if it's 0 training won't do any good.

John

Seems I mixed up task group and task force once again :)