Author Topic: Civilian ship lag?  (Read 2047 times)

Offline happy2pester (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • h
Civilian ship lag?
« on: February 24, 2014, 03:44:33 PM »
I've noticed that after a while, my civilian ships start to cause some lag - not much, but it mounts up. I understand that the civ-ship spam will be fixed for 6.4, but for the moment, are there any penalties for simply executing civilian ships?

Secondly, what's the best way to go about it? I can field a basic ship, but I can't see any way to target the civilian ships. However, i do remember reading something about grabbing them with a tractor beam?

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
Re: Civilian ship lag?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:10:32 PM »
If you grab a civilian ship with a tractor beam, it then becomes yours and you can do anything with it that you can do with any other of your ships. Like scrap it or transfer it to an enemy race and use it for target practice and then salvage practice.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 09:21:40 PM »
Or you could randomly fire missiles with Hugh very large thermal sensors near them, then salvage the wrecks, either method is rather micro managey
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:08:38 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 02:34:47 PM »
are people named Hugh unusually hot? or unusually cold?
 ;D
Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline ShadowLop

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 02:47:52 AM »
So,I've got about 50 civilian ships sitting in/on Earth. They're trying to trade, but don't actually do anything.

They don't appear as valid targets for tractoring.
They are ignored by active sensor missiles fired in their general direction.

These damn things are crippling my game and getting worse as time goes on.

Can someone either post a step-by-step on how to nuke these guys or shed some light on how to use SM to delete specific civilian TGs?

Thanks.

EDIT: Cleared an imbalanced shipping order, that got them moving. Still doesn't help the lag situation, since they can't be targeted by anything.
Oh, and version is 6.3.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:06:45 AM by ShadowLop »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 03:06:24 AM »
have you tried canceling their orders in the shipping lines dialogue?

Offline ShadowLop

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 03:11:44 AM »
have you tried canceling their orders in the shipping lines dialogue?

Several times. It's quantity that's the problem - there's just too many of them.

At the moment, I'm planning on opening the jump gate to a hostile system and telling them to ship infra over there...

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 03:28:51 AM »
okay a couple points:

it's Thermal sensors on the missiles recommended earlier - so they seek on a random object nearby with high thermal emissions, like say big old civilian freighters.  just...be careful heh.   I haven't actually fooled around with that myself...

I believe the tractor beam method uses the Ships (F6) dialog, try going through that rather than the Task Groups (f12) dialog.

Offline ShadowLop

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 03:50:33 AM »
okay a couple points:

it's Thermal sensors on the missiles recommended earlier - so they seek on a random object nearby with high thermal emissions, like say big old civilian freighters.  just...be careful heh.   I haven't actually fooled around with that myself...

Tried that, didn't go for anything. I think it can't have active sensors as well...Might test that later.

I believe the tractor beam method uses the Ships (F6) dialog, try going through that rather than the Task Groups (f12) dialog.
Been to every ship-based screen and civ ships do not appear anywhere as possible targets.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 06:30:21 AM »
I could have sworn thermals worked against civilians, I can't remember having actually tested it though.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "