Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 263713 times)

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2011, 04:34:07 PM »
36 years into my current game (using a standard start with 2 billion people on Earth).  I now have 12 colonies in 8 systems, one system has 3 planets.  Colonized Mars first off (after terraforming) and that helped kick start my civilian shipping.  Explored all systems immediately around Sol and have been able to put colonies in all of them.  I have 2 planets with more than 500 million, 3 planets with over 100 million.  Earth is down to 1.6 billion, I'm going to have to stop shipping people from Earth soon.  My goal was get the immediate planets up to 500 million each, at which time I'd start concentrating on the second ring of colonization.  My second ring has started, although currently pretty ragged.

I've encountered 2 races and I know from looking at the logs that there's at least three more, plus Precursors (no other spoiler races).  Currently relations are good and improving.  Ran into what I think was the homeworld of one race, haven't found the homeworld of the second.

Civilian shipping has 7 lines, but one line has 89 ships and over 3 million tonnage.  They were around for the Mars-Earth runs. :)  The remaining lines have 20 ships between them  I have jump-capable freighters but the civ's haven't bought any.

I know of 94 systems and have completely surveyed 79 of them.  Trying to explore in a circle out from Earth but it's hard to do.

I've made very good use of fighters in fighting Precursors.  Have had no other conflicts yet.

Technology: Drives are Internal Confinement Fusion, I have Jump Drive Efficiency 6, 25-cm Soft X-ray lasers, Theta shields.  Grav sensor 28, EM Sensor 14, Thermal 18.

Using version 5.2.  Don't want to upgrade because that means I'd have to start over.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2011, 04:04:22 AM »
Heh.   I had something like that, except it was a conventional start, and the other side had a jump gate straight to Earth.

I'm surprised it took as long as it did to reach the obvious conclusion.   

Yeah..u right..

make no mistake ladyes and gentlemans..:)

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »
Now there's a fleet of warships from another race hovering one jump away from one of my colonies.  They're just sitting there, not moving, and they are about 3 jumps away from their own world.  What could they be doing?

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2011, 03:55:36 AM »
Now there's a fleet of warships from another race hovering one jump away from one of my colonies.  They're just sitting there, not moving, and they are about 3 jumps away from their own world.  What could they be doing?

Probably picketing or an ambush. But I dont know if the AI will do that.

Offline DatAlien

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2011, 11:28:59 PM »
The Solar Union has explored the first three of four jumppoints in Sol, all three lead to systems with only small amounts of bodys
Per se ad astra

Offline DatAlien

• D
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »
lost all my laser frigat to a forgotten "open fire", emptied 260 size 2 box launcher for minimal effect and the remains of my fleet are running from an enemy that is 2.5 times as fast. I think I will load my save and pretend that I never though about going into this obivious trap consisting of three planets that are easy to colonisat.

Edit: I dont even need to pretend I know that is a trap, I know thats a trap, my save was at the point Ive seen the enemys FACs, so I offical know there are active aliens and they are much faster than me
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:10:52 PM by DatAlien »
Per se ad astra

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2011, 12:21:32 AM »
lost all my laser frigat to a forgotten "open fire", emptied 260 size 2 box launcher for minimal effect and the remains of my fleet are running from an enemy that is 2.5 times as fast. I think I will load my save and pretend that I never though about going into this obivious trap consisting of three planets that are easy to colonisat.

Edit: I dont even need to pretend I know that is a trap, I know thats a trap, my save was at the point Ive seen the enemys FACs, so I offical know there are active aliens and they are much faster than me

Court Martial your Admirals!

Offline deoved

• d
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2011, 09:40:20 AM »
Better send them to toxic-gas planet penal colony, where their bodys will rot alive!

Offline DatAlien

• D
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2011, 09:55:24 AM »
Sometimes I'm really forced to believe in fate.
After the Victoria survived her first meeting with the star swarm only by reloading and luck, she was destroyed on her second meeting with them.

But everyone knows that he was send to Mars to investigate the local ruins by Fleet Command, he was in the news, live, only hours be for this disaster.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:15:52 AM by DatAlien »
Per se ad astra

Offline chuckles73

• Chief Petty Officer
  • c
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2011, 01:40:27 PM »
We have a pretty good setup in the Solar system. Five minerals (Duranium, Tritanium, Mercassium, Sorium and one that I've forgotten) available in the multi-millions at >0.6 accessibility within the orbit of Jupiter. We've been working on bringing those minerals to market while training up administrators and scientists.

We also recently discovered Jump Points and started exploring nearby systems. Nothing useful within a single jump of Sol, but we're really hoping for a good source of Gallicite soon.

A terraforming fleet is active on Mars, rapidly nearing the oxygenation point necessary to support human life; next on the agenda will be pumping greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere until the world isn't a freezer.

We have yet to discover extraterrestrial life, and thus haven't militarized space yet. (There has been some defense research going on, but generally falling under the heading of "training scientists". The fluff is that it's generally private efforts for basic research. There are perhaps 3 or 4 government-funded research projects (6-15 labs or so), the rest are 1-2 labs per project.)

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2011, 06:47:07 PM »
Investigations of barnard's star opened a new fringe for the empire:  surveying ships entered the Vega system through a preexisting gate, and identified a world perfectly suited for life.  There are no sensors equipped on the vessel, so it immediately withdrew- the Brass believes this is either the homeworld of an alien species, or will be populated heavily by the filthy precursors.  The largest military fleet ever assembled, which includes the veterans of two wars and four brand-new Avitus 24,000 ton Missle Cruisers, three Therion AMM platforms, two heavy bombers carrier groups, have now amassed at the Vega gate.  Whatever awaits on the other side will meet its maker.    

Offline Necro910

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2011, 12:45:22 PM »
Started my first game and got nerd LSD'd on the detail of the solar system.  JESUS CHRIST THAT IS A LOT OF ASTEROIDS! And I can put a mine on each and every one of them?! WOOOOOOO *seizure*

Anyways. . .  moving on.  Why is the star swarm always censored? It's a bloody game option you see on your first play.  Everyone can see it in the New Game screen! Whatever.  I'll accept it as generic fan-base running gag.

Quote from: Beersatron link=topic=3808. msg39500#msg39500 date=1315372892
Screw that, send them in on unarmed 1,000 ton ships with only enough fuel to ALMOST make it to the trap.  Execution by firing squad, my friends.  Indeed.
Admiral: Prepare the breaching squads to board. 
Lieutenant: But sir, you wrote here that you want them to board the ship into the fuel tank! Won't that.  .  . 
Admiral: Yes.   It shall be GLORIOUS!

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2011, 01:32:03 PM »
Necro, der frakk, why is everyone in here from bay 12 >.>

Anyway, at the display 2 tab on the system screen (the one with the gazilion asteroids :P) you ca

EDIT: something weird happened. It's probably a signal from a not-so-divine being. I don't think it is safe for me to finish my sentence.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:38:12 PM by Dutchling »

Offline Ashery

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • A
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2011, 03:45:30 PM »
DF and Aurora both favor mechanical complexity over pretty graphics, so it's not much of a surprise that many people here have been active in the DF community at one time or another.

As far as to the spoiler comment: I've always seen it as more about specific aspects than their simple existence.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2011, 04:15:16 PM »
As far as to the spoiler comment: I've always seen it as more about specific aspects than their simple existence.

I've been playing for months, and I've never encountered the swarm.  Everything I know about them is from the forum, so I'm glad they get spoilered now.