Author Topic: Your Crazy/Convoluted Projects in Aurora  (Read 2939 times)

Offline misora (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • m
Your Crazy/Convoluted Projects in Aurora
« on: April 02, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »
So, I'm relatively sure that at one point or another we have all tried something in Aurora that we thought would be awesome, but ended in nuclear explosion or never truly got off the ground, I recently started experimenting with orbital weapons platforms that used crazy weapons like one that was armed with a 120CM laser, and I can safely say that the satellite can only get one shot off before the enemy reclassifies its threat level and destroys it.

So what crazy things have you guys dreamed up, or tried in Aurora?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Your Crazy/Convoluted Projects in Aurora
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 03:50:58 PM »
Massive star bases made up of dozens of station parts totaling to multimillion tonned structures. All being modular of course so no two stations would need to be the same. One station would be geared toward being a fleet base so they would have repair yards (hangars), maintenance modules, recreation facilities, logistics, ect. Another on the border with another empire would be for defense, so more weapons/ammo, sensors, mined, ect. Each would defiantly have a station core (several bridges, flag bridges, and sensors), at least one weapons bay (size dependent on the game), ground factory, and at least enough maintenance modules to support the weapons bays.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:20:32 AM by 83athom »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 04:05:38 PM »
Built... designed max jump size hulls. Sort of reminiscent of Dahak, but smaller. If I recall the thread, they had 25 divisions of troops, 100+ fighters, and something like 10-12 8000 ton parasite warships/survey ships/scouts.

Each took around 3.5 years to build with maximum build tech. This was under version 4.something if I remember. Do a search on "max hull" and you should find the thread.

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 07:06:15 AM »
1. I once tried to build self-sustaining fleet with building-building and ship-building capabilities. It... well, it worked technically, but 10 factories carried around didn't do much, miners couldn't mine anything but asteroids, and I had to set up colony and unload everything there if I ever wanted to do something (oh yes, and to perform maintenance on military hangars of my fleet... which performed maintenance on conventional military ships).
2. Colonizing every planet possible, though it's not like crazy project, more like modus operandi of my empire. Worked well... until civvie freighters started unloading every unit of infrastructure on that 5.0 colony cost planet. Now I have 100 millon people there and 849 civilian ships, and contract to carry labs which they never look at.

I also colonized Luna-2, the only satellite (a rock 20 km in diameter) orbiting my homeworld.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »
Im a pretty conservative guy so i had two instances of doing something ccrazy in Aurora.

1 . 3+ milion ton Generation ship with terraform instalations, geo sensors, troop transport modules, cryo chambers, cargo space,and pretty much everything else needed to make a selfsustaining colony. I even used it twice to make a colony on a planet 140+ Bn from the primary star.

2. 600k + customs stations with smegload of fuel, BIG active sensors, cargo space, passenger space etc. It had a hangar for five corvette sized ship that emulated customs police. I had few of them in each inhabited system and one in each transit/empty/fringe system... God the micromanagment of those corvettes was a PAIN in the ass...

Pretty tame but whatever :P
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 09:48:10 PM »
I wouldn't call that tame - it's certainly more "megalomaniac" than anything I've built!

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 05:35:55 AM »
I had to evacuate the Earth once due to a couple of huge nuclear wars on the surface :) That was a large and somewhat frantic project.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 06:10:28 AM »
That sounds great. Where did you fly them to?
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 07:48:24 AM »
I wouldn't call that tame - it's certainly more "megalomaniac" than anything I've built!

Well its not the Star Ruler level of craziness ;]

I had to evacuate the Earth once due to a couple of huge nuclear wars on the surface :) That was a large and somewhat frantic project.

My first reaction - oh snap thats so cool, just like Steve's TN campaign ....check who posted this - ohhh i get it lol.

."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 11:02:47 AM »
That sounds great. Where did you fly them to?

Some went to Mars but overcrowding was a problem. The rest went to a recently established colony in another system. It was a joint efforts by three different powers; USA, Russia and the European Union. This was in a much older version of Aurora.

Offline Viridia

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 02:17:05 PM »
Some went to Mars but overcrowding was a problem. The rest went to a recently established colony in another system. It was a joint efforts by three different powers; USA, Russia and the European Union. This was in a much older version of Aurora.

I just started rereading that one last night. Probably one of the best campaigns I've read on the forum.

For myself, it wasn't 'crazy' as such, or really 'convoluted', but I was doing a Starship Troopers-based game where nearly every warship had the capacity to carry/drop at least a platoon. So as well as building all the ships, I ended up building dozens of platoons, and spent hours just assigning them to ships and getting them embarked.

That was when I had the even more dubious idea of taking an army based on a population of 7 billion and reforming all the battalions into regiments and then divisions, and naming/numbering them all...