• Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Rules
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 08:10:09 PM »
One thing I was contemplating  while driving across iowa, was an optional rule for social expenditures. Original thought was a 20% tax on income. Any plus or minus on this affects happiness.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 09:43:05 PM »
maybe basing it on the profitability of the existing one?
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 09:47:49 PM »
One thing I was contemplating  while driving across iowa, was an optional rule for social expenditures. Original thought was a 20% tax on income. Any plus or minus on this affects happiness.

hmm should probably be more unbalanced,  you get the most effect under and up to the norm,  spend a lot in a rich country on social projects actually seems to get you less happiness, as expectations are higher.

maybe halving the rate for spending more than 20%?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:49:39 PM by boggo2300 »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 12:15:44 AM »
hmm should probably be more unbalanced,  you get the most effect under and up to the norm,  spend a lot in a rich country on social projects actually seems to get you less happiness, as expectations are higher.

maybe halving the rate for spending more than 20%?
I'm on a tablet, so bear with me. 20% is the status quo. Less than that increases unhappiness as money is "wasted" on military and science. More than that increases the happiness.

Now I'll need to reread the rules on happiness and revolutions to come up with any viable rules.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 12:18:32 AM »
I considered that but that started getting messy when three + empires were involved. Plus it got to the point where the corporation wasn't getting enough per mining haul to gain more money to do stuff. So I am testing this idea out and calling it a Corporate Tax.

What about smuggling and commerce raiding? And is the player going to be able to set the tax rate? If so, I'd say no more than  20-25%.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 12:43:01 AM »
The west spends more on social programs than important stuff like the military and space monkeys, how much happiness does it buy? 
Unless you're Norwegian or one of those other crazy countries with free heathcare, education, mental health stuff, etc. Those misguided fools!
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 01:35:59 AM »
I like the discussions but I'd like to see how things go with my system first then teak as may be needed. The ideas put forward will be the first ones used to tweak when and if we get to that point. I am in the process of moving right now so I will process the next turn on either Sunday night or sometime Monday.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 01:38:11 AM »
I better catch up quickly then!
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 04:46:25 AM »
The west spends more on social programs than important stuff like the military and space monkeys, how much happiness does it buy? 
Unless you're Norwegian or one of those other crazy countries with free heathcare, education, mental health stuff, etc. Those misguided fools!

I am :P

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2015, 04:48:27 AM »
I like the discussions but I'd like to see how things go with my system first then teak as may be needed. The ideas put forward will be the first ones used to tweak when and if we get to that point. I am in the process of moving right now so I will process the next turn on either Sunday night or sometime Monday.

I still can't get into my sub forum, so hopefully nothing interesting will happen!

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 04:00:22 PM »
I have just added three rule changes. I hope to have turn 16 done today but considering my work schedule that may or may not happen.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 11:28:27 AM »
I have just added three rule changes. I hope to have turn 16 done today but considering my work schedule that may or may not happen.

Are you going to share those? :D

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2015, 11:29:08 AM »
They are in the first post of this thread. Sorry I thought that was clear.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2015, 12:56:13 PM »
I have figured out how I want to implement corporations. Each of your factions will get one corporation who has 1,000Mc. You can subsidize them one of several ways, you can give them money, you can pay for things for them, or if you are getting tax income from them you can wave some or all of it.

Now what can a corporation do?

They can mine at the cost of 1,000MC per 1/10th of the total of each mineral wealth of a body, example if a body has 10 Industrial Metals and 10 Radioactives for 1,000MC the company could start mining 1 Industrial Metal or 1 Radioactive per turn. If they put in another 1,000MC they can mine another 1/10 of the mineral they are already mining or do a different kind (no current in game benefit to that choice). The faction that owns the body that they are mining on can take 20% of their total in tax, the faction that owns the body they end up selling the minerals on can take 20%, and any faction that lays claim to the space used to transport the minerals through can take 10% meaning that a faction that controls all three can take 50% of the total wealth mined in taxes.

They can buy time in your shipyards to build a ship. This will give you money but it will obviously tie up your shipyard for quite awhile. Most of the time this will be a freighter but unless you put restrictions on weapons and/or other systems they will be able to build whatever they want. There are no limits on what restrictions you can or can't place on them regarding shipbuilding.

If you allow them to use the orbital or ground slots they can open a shipyard themselves which they can use or they can sell the shipbuilding capabilities to either governments or other corporations.

Most of the ships they build with be freighters that they will use to move mined minerals to colonies to sell. They will also be available to send colonists on but that will cost the normal cost plus extra though the total cost will be less than building a freighter.

Corporations will attempt to trade with anyone nearby unless there is a faction that will give them a better deal or a faction that has a better relationship with them (generally decided via things like taxation and restrictions) however they will almost always prefer their home faction to others with the second tier of preference being any factions that are currently trading with their home faction.

This is a new proposed system that has had very little playtest and will be tried out here. It is open to revision and possible deletion depending on how this turns out. As a note this system also plays into my idea on how to in game create pirates like the Obsidian Blade talked about in the default setting.

Do the mining actions of the corporations reduce the EV available to the empire?

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 01:06:10 PM »
At the moment no. Depending on how it works out through the play test maybe. Currently there aren't rules regarding multiple empires on the same body and I am running corporations as semi-empires.