Author Topic: Killed by the turn interval  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Zook (OP)

• Commander
Killed by the turn interval
« on: March 21, 2016, 01:04:02 AM »
I haven't played in a couple of years, but I can't remember having this problem before:

I'm in the middle of a large battle. Half an hour ago, I shot down dozens of missile salvos with my AMMs and some gauss guns, all on automatic PD settings. Worked like a charm. When the fire finally stopped, I hit the 5-minute button and nothing happened. Then the 20-minute button (I think, or it could have been 1-hour). Anyway, the next interrupt comes after 20:35 and tells me I've been hit by 27 missiles. No contacts were reported before, no defenses fired at this salvo, only at the one coming after it that was reported in this interrupt. Sub-pulses are on Automatic.

My missile warning sensors are a bit anemic, with only about 500,000km range vs. Size-4 missiles, but I can get two or three 5-second turns before they hit, which is enough.

This isn't the first time this happens in this campaign. Didn't sub-pulses work reliably in the old days?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:13:11 AM by Zook »

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
Re: Killed by the turn interval
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 02:54:54 AM »
I've had this happen quite a bit, very annoying.  I guess the sub pulse was large enough that the missiles went from outside detection range to hitting your ships inside of one interval, but I don't know for sure.  I've been playing Aurora on and off for a while now, and I don't think I've ever had any luck with missile defense and long turn times.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 06:26:01 AM »
When in a system I know has enemies I usually don't hit a time increment larger than 5 minutes unless I'm trying to run away or has CIWS. CIWS will get shots off no matter the turn length and will protect against this kind of mechanic "glitch/bug".
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 03:18:45 PM »
I've never actually had this sort of thing happen unless i accidentally ran a really long interval in combat.

There might be a hole in the sub-pulse cogitator on edge cases - possibly more likely with a poor AMM sensor like that?

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 06:40:32 PM »
I am pretty sure its detection. The game stops when you detect a missile, and in this case the detecting came when they hit you.