Author Topic: (v0.5.16) Iceranger's Missile and Ship Optimizer  (Read 41143 times)

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
Re: (v0.2.3) Iceranger's Missile and Ship Optimizer
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2020, 03:37:58 PM »
It remembers the settings you have there last time when you close it.

For multiple games though, right now any missile designs saved to the archive will have the option to also load the background techs they are designed in (for ship designs the techs are loaded back by default, and don't ask why they are different :P). So you can always use archived designs as a quick way to jump between different tech sets.

The following users thanked this post: DFNewb, baller deluxe

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2020, 08:20:29 PM »
New version is out :)
New feature: ship planner

The following users thanked this post: baller deluxe, Gimlie

Offline Shodan13

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2020, 08:28:39 PM »
Quote from: Iceranger link=topic=10999. msg132362#msg132362 date=1589160029
New version is out :)
New feature: ship planner
This is amazing, thank you for adding even more utility to this.

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
Re: (v0.3.2) Iceranger's Missile and Ship Optimizer
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2020, 08:33:43 PM »
0.3.2 is out. New feature: import component designs from DB
a few bug fixes and a few QoL changes on the ship planner page.

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
Re: (v0.3.3) Iceranger's Missile and Ship Optimizer
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2020, 08:57:36 PM »
0.3.3 is out. A few bug fixes.
A sensor planner is added to missile optimizer to calculate the minimum sensor size needed to cover the missile's range.

The following users thanked this post: Fistandantillus7, JyeGuru

Offline Fistandantillus7

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • F
  • Discord Username: Fistandantillus7#1567
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2020, 08:25:58 PM »
OMG I am so in love with you.  Marry Me!

Offline AlitarSemiramis

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2020, 09:20:27 AM »
I think I have found a bug. I import my DB for the Ship Planner, and in the first combobox my game has:

Federated Nations
Star League
Star League

I did create two Star League games, the first one I did nothing, and the second is the game I'm playing. I can't select the second one, every time I do, the first one gets selected.

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2020, 09:24:27 AM »
I think I have found a bug. I import my DB for the Ship Planner, and in the first combobox my game has:

Federated Nations
Star League
Star League

I did create two Star League games, the first one I did nothing, and the second is the game I'm playing. I can't select the second one, every time I do, the first one gets selected.

Would you mind sharing your DB file so I can check what went wrong?

The following users thanked this post: AlitarSemiramis

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2020, 10:27:35 AM »
I generally standardize my ship engines and use the same three or four components through an entire generation. Would it be possible to get a ship designer that's a bit more like the missile designer, where we can do things like specify the engine specs to use and have it spit out the most efficient size at a particular speed/range, etc?

Offline AlitarSemiramis

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2020, 10:37:59 AM »

Federated Nations
Star League
Star League

Sure, here it is:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AknN2IsoYz6elv1XV_s8FnjWXGHmWQ?e=hD5zvf

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2020, 12:14:11 PM »

Federated Nations
Star League
Star League

Sure, here it is:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AknN2IsoYz6elv1XV_s8FnjWXGHmWQ?e=hD5zvf

Thank you very much. I have added the gameID/raceID to the combo box model so it can distinguish between games/races with the same name.

The following users thanked this post: AlitarSemiramis

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2020, 12:16:08 PM »
I generally standardize my ship engines and use the same three or four components through an entire generation. Would it be possible to get a ship designer that's a bit more like the missile designer, where we can do things like specify the engine specs to use and have it spit out the most efficient size at a particular speed/range, etc?

Do you mean something like a calculator, where the input is your engine size/boost, desired tonnage, speed and range, and the output is basically how many engines you need to achieve that speed, how much fuel you need to achieve that range?

Offline AlitarSemiramis

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2020, 12:30:55 PM »
Thank you very much. I have added the gameID/raceID to the combo box model so it can distinguish between games/races with the same name.

Thanks to you! Your tool is so incredibly useful.

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2020, 01:53:48 PM »
Do you mean something like a calculator, where the input is your engine size/boost, desired tonnage, speed and range, and the output is basically how many engines you need to achieve that speed, how much fuel you need to achieve that range?

I was thinking something like what you have now, but tweaked a little. Right now you input Desired Tonnage/Speed/Range, plus Max Engine+Fuel. But there's no way to specify your engine design or to calculate the max speed/range as an output instead of an input.

Make it so you can input four out of these five:
 Tonnage
 Speed
 Range
 Max Engine+Fuel%
 Engine Component Stats

And it then solves for the thing you didn't put in, using the same Max Space/Matching Tonnage slider that you have currently. So you can see "What percentage space would I have to devote to get to this speed at this tonnage with these engines," or "What speed could I get from X% of space using these engines on a design targeting this tonnage," or what tonnage would I have to be to get X speed out of these engines," and so on.

Make sense? I haven't gotten much sleep in the past few days, so I'm not sure how coherent I am, but hopefully this gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Offline Iceranger (OP)

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2020, 02:56:32 PM »

I was thinking something like what you have now, but tweaked a little. Right now you input Desired Tonnage/Speed/Range, plus Max Engine+Fuel. But there's no way to specify your engine design or to calculate the max speed/range as an output instead of an input.

Make it so you can input four out of these five:
 Tonnage
 Speed
 Range
 Max Engine+Fuel%
 Engine Component Stats

And it then solves for the thing you didn't put in, using the same Max Space/Matching Tonnage slider that you have currently. So you can see "What percentage space would I have to devote to get to this speed at this tonnage with these engines," or "What speed could I get from X% of space using these engines on a design targeting this tonnage," or what tonnage would I have to be to get X speed out of these engines," and so on.

Make sense? I haven't gotten much sleep in the past few days, so I'm not sure how coherent I am, but hopefully this gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

hmm, knowing the engine specs, the examples you have are as what I said, a calculator is needed if one of the other 4 listed there is unknown.

"What percentage space would I have to devote to get to this speed at this tonnage with these engines," -> known the tonnage and the speed, then the total engine power needed to achieve that speed is known. then the number of engines to achieve that total engine power is known. Then the total engine space is known, thus the percentage of engine space is known (and cannot be changed to optimize anything). Add or subtract fuel freely to achieve the range, since the engine and the speed is fixed, then its range is only based on how much fuel is added.

"What speed could I get from X% of space using these engines on a design targeting this tonnage," -> the goal is somewhat ambiguous here. if no range limit is given in this case, then the obvious optimal speed you are going to get is devoting the X% all to engines. Thus you can calculate the hull size one engine can push (engine size / X%), then you can get the speed in this case.

"What tonnage would I have to be to get X speed out of these engines," -> known speed and engine specs, then the hull size of one engine can push to that speed is known. Then multiply by the number of engines to be used, you get the full size of the ship.

I did plan for a calculator using the same UI on the ship optimizer page, and possibly other optimization goals. However, so far I haven't think of anything interesting. I will keep your ideas in mind.