Author Topic: The Northern Coalition (AAR)  (Read 68839 times)

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
Re: The Northern Coalition (AAR)
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 03:19:15 PM »
Gotta say that I'm really enjoying this AAR. So much so I'm in the process of sorting out my own conventional start with a nicely decimated opening population.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 02:27:56 AM »
Gotta say that I'm really enjoying this AAR. So much so I'm in the process of sorting out my own conventional start with a nicely decimated opening population.

Thank you for the positive feedback, I am glad to hear you are enjoying it. 

I hope you can avoid the blundering from crisis to crisis I have been doing.  I would also make sure that Earth has a fairly abundent supply of both duranium and neutronium as you have to build a lot of stuff that you otherwise get for free (20 research labs is 24K duranium/mercasium as an example).  Though the CMCs have been a godsend.  Last I checked they were catapulting 12,000 tons a year to earth.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 02:47:48 AM »
I could only concur, this AAR is very entertaining. The start you had was quite interesting and challenging and it will be interesting to find out what happens to the Earth forces on their exploration attempt

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 04:20:07 AM »
I could only concur, this AAR is very entertaining. The start you had was quite interesting and challenging and it will be interesting to find out what happens to the Earth forces on their exploration attempt

Thank you for the positive comment as well.  Well they are quite perturbed by the tech difference (which was extreme enough for me the player) and I'm curious what will happen when I bump into the next NPR...a pair of them were going at it tooth and nail judging by the number of times the turn dropped to 5 or 10 second intervals.  Some quiet fueling of exploration ships though just occured...the SV Amundson's have 350,000 l tanks so outside of tankers or replenishement ships they have the largest fuel needs of any ship currently in service.  So things will start to happen outsystem again.  But the Wolvers...they get a visit again when the NC Navy thinks it is less of a sucide mission or else if they can get a spy ship designed...

Offline Ektoras

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 11:30:22 AM »
I also like your story. Conventional starts are always more challenging. Also i like your combat narrative and the names you give in ships, group of ships and organizations.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 02:16:11 AM »
I also like your story. Conventional starts are always more challenging. Also i like your combat narrative and the names you give in ships, group of ships and organizations.

Thank you for saying so.  When I look at the situation basically it took me 50 years of ingame time to achieve what you get in 50 min of pre game setup for a normal start.  The one thing that probably needs to be changed is the amount of money you make during the conventional start I have something like 600,000+ quatloos in the bank at the moment.

Naming things is important to me, often I use the random name generator or the lists but a few are chosen by me.  I used to do this more in Starfire but there you build so many ships it becomes more of a chore then it brings in satisfaction (70+ DDs and counting for the SCN, while I have been naming the BBs).  Here the numbers seem far more sane.  Hopefully in the future combat write ups I have more to say then "we were blotted from existance with less effort than you would use to swat a fly..." 

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 08:00:07 AM »
Yeah, when you have much less ships and much more effort into them, names come a lot more worthwhile to mind.
I really like how you handled that fuel crisis, I've never really gone behind the 'general shutdown and work on fuel production' level of finesse

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 09:27:41 AM »
Yeah, when you have much less ships and much more effort into them, names come a lot more worthwhile to mind.
I really like how you handled that fuel crisis, I've never really gone behind the 'general shutdown and work on fuel production' level of finesse

Thank you, though I have to admit it caught me completely off guard.  I had thought I had lots of fuel then suddenly...tank farm empty.  Not sure what finesse I used, but hopefully it was helpful to other people.  I felt pretty hamstung and a lot stupid for getting caught a third time with something like this.  Have to control my urge to build my way into it again.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 10:00:58 AM »
AD 2272-2273 Preparing for the Future

With a Loch class harvester under construction, improved engine technology on the horizon, Faewald prospering, 4 ICG's at full TO&E and nearly 2.5 m liters of fuel per year flowing into the tank farm on Earth the Navy, BuSurvey and BIC are all preparing for a resumption of operations outside of Sol or Alpha Centauri.  The Navy comes to the conclusion that what was done in the past was extremely risky and that they need the ability to project power outside of Sol.  Given that one Battlegroup is tied to the Wolf 359 jump point watch, and a second Battlegroup would be in refit or overhaul that they should finish off TG1's full TO&E and add the 3rd Squadron.  BuSurvey has 4 Amundson class science vessels, plus 4 Oberon survey vessels (2 are under construction) that it wants back in service.  BIC wants to expand its fleet to 8 ICGs, and 5 FHGs plus establish both an outpost in AD Leonis but also a full fledged colony in one of the systems adjoining that system.  It doesn't want to disrupt the growth of Faewald to do this so wants to expand its ICG strength.  As all of this takes more and more fuel the Loch&Petrol class ships are vital regardless of which agency you ask.  None of the three want to be the one to break the system.

Naval Yard Victorias Esquimalt Graving Yard (Sol, Earth)
This yard is planned to expand its displacement to 4500 tons but not further increase its current 6 slips.  It does not change the current status of being able to produce new Terrier/Edmoton/London/Guardian class frigates.

AD 2272 (December 10) Cheshire (London Mod1.1 class) is refit completing the refit of 2nd Squadron.
AD 2273 (January 20) GSVs Johannes Kepler, and Nicolaus Copernicus (Oberon Mod1 class) are built and assigned to New Construction/Shakedown Training
2273 (March 10) Picket (Guardian Mod1 class) plus Airedale, and Borsoi (Terrier Mod1.1 class) finish refitting
AD 2273 (March 25) Dorset (London Mod1.1 class) is refit completing the refit of 1st Squadron.

Naval Yard Deschimag A.G. Weser (Sol, Earth)
This is the new yard in geosycnronous orbit above the Baltic sea region of Earth.  It is intended to have only 3 slips but be able to produce larger ships for the Navy.  The current plan is to expand it to 9000 tons maximum ship displacement, what the Navy is terming its Destroyer weight ships.

AD 2272 (July 15) Construction of Naval Shipyard Complex completed on Earth (Deschimag A.G. Weser)
AD 2272 (December 10) 500 tons of capacity added to Deschimag A.G. Weser on Earth
AD 2273 (April 25) 500 tons of capacity added to Deschimag A.G. Weser on Earth
AD 2273 (August 19) 500 tons of capacity added to Deschimag A.G. Weser on Earth

Commercial Yard Litton-Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp. (Sol, Earth)
The yard capacity will be expanded to 45,000 tons displacement as this is the expected maximum size allowed by the next generation of jump engines.  But this is done without significant time pressure as such ships are still several years in the future.  For the present this yard will build a further 4 ICGs and refit the exiting Colussus class jump frieghters and their Bauxite Long Range consorts to the latest standards.

AD 2272 (November 25) Emerald (Bauxite Long Range (I) class) is finished with her refit
AD 2273 (May 15) Retooling of the yard for the Colossus (I) class completed, a new ship is laid down but one slipway is resevered for refitting the currently operational ships
AD 2273 (June 30) 1000 tons of capacity are added the yards capacity
AD 2273 (July 20) Jade (Bauxite Long Range (I) class) is built
AD 2273 (August 5) 1000 tons of capacity are added to the yards capacity

Commercial Yard Rober Napier & Sons (Sol, Earth)

AD 2273 (August 10) The first of its class the Fuel Harvester Loch (Loch class) is built and the next day starts on its journey to Alpha Centauri V.  The next ship in this class the See is laid down.  It has taken nearly 4 years to move from the development of the Sorium Harvester module to the launch of the first harvester vessel but this markes a major step forward in Humanities path to the stars.  The yard's second slipway is still under construction.  The launch of this vessel was the single most awaited event in the last half decade.

Construction at Earth
The situation with respect to construction with Earth's industrial might has stabilized.  90% of its capacity is used for major infrastructure investments done in a cycle of: Research lab, terraformer/more factories/other higher cost system, Major Infrastructure Investement (Space Yard, Military Facilitiy, PDC Refit), Research lab.  PDC refits and other military activities are added in as necessary, but the priority is to strengthen Humanities research efforts.  The terraformers will be used initially on Mars but are viewed as a long term asset and have a priority for construction.  Additional construction factories are viewed both to speed up the cycle time and also as an investment for future colonies.

The remaining 10% of the capacity is used in the following cycle:  Infrastructurex24, Fuel Refinery, Infrastructurex24, Convertion of mine to teleoperated.  This is viewed as necessary long term investment.

AD 2273 (January 6)  The refit of the ICBM base Fort Reykavik to the new Fort Dublin class standard is completed
AD 2273 (August 19) Fairmile A(EW) 008 (Fairmile A(EW)) is built on Earth completing the order for these small craft.  Fairmile engineers are waiting on new technology before finalizing the base model Fairmile B pinnance.

Civillian Operations in Sol

AD 2272 (December 10) The civilian mining colony on Reinmuth has been expanded to 5 civilian mining complexes

Civillian Mining Complexes provide the following minerals to the NC Commission (cost: 597.8--43.8% of yearly expenditures):
Duranium: 3545 tons
Neutronium: 2800 tons
Corbomite: 924 tons
Tritanium: 224 tons
Mercassium: 294 tons
Sorium: 2640 tons
Uridium: 2201 tons
Corundium: 280 tons
Gallacite: 700 tons
Total: 13 608 tons of TN minerals per year.

Northern Coalition Naval Operations
As an April Fools treat, 1st SQN Battlegroup arrives at the JP to Wolf 359 having completed its refit a week earlier.  It resumes its watch over the jump point to Wolver space.  The 2nd Battlegroup instead of boosting for Earth begins for the first time since the fuel crisis started Task Group training excersizes.  They spend several weeks and some 10% of their fuel enhancing their group training before returning to the yards at Earth for shore leave and maintenance overhauls.  The crews are excited by this and many mails carry statements like "we feel like the navy again."  Coupled with the staff planning for a return to AD Leonis moral in the NC Navy is on the upswing.  The Navy secures funding for an expansion to the Earth University campuses in Kingston, Goose Green, St. Johns, Oxfordshire, Neu Alt Neubrandenburg and St. Petersburg.  This should deal with the current situation where as the common internet joke goes: "Whats the requirement to be a Navy Officer?"  "The ability to breath."

BIC recieves its funding to build a command facility in Antwerp that will coordinate its ship operations, Captain Anna Cox is their choice to lead it, but she is currently in Alpha Centauri.

Faewald, Alpha Centauri
On the 19th August, 2273 Interstellar Colonization Group I finishes offloading their cargo in Faewald Orbit.  This was an unusual cargo.  An teleoperated mine had been dropped off at Alpha Centauri II as it contained minerals not present on Faewald and their other cargo was the prefabricated sections of a Listening Post and Tranquility class PDC.  The Govenor orders the construction facility demothballed a task that will take 6 months.

Research Progress on Earth

AD 2273 (July 20) Dr. Ellen Allan's team develops better shipbuilding methodologies (Shipbuilding Rate 560 BP) and turns their attention to improved computer networks and advanced processor capacity (Research Rate 280 RP)
AD 2273 (August 19) Dr. VíkingR Hœkillson's team developes the ground work for Nuclear Pulse Engine Technology, which instantly makes all existing engines obsolete.  One of the three research labs starts research into how to increase the size of ship a given jump engine can support (Jump Drive Efficiency 5).  The other two labs are assigned to a team led by Dr. Samantha Buckley to develop the ship board engine systems based on the new technological development, starting with the new missile engines.
AD 2273 (August 25) Dr. Samantha Buckley's team has developed the first missile engine, the RR Wildfire NPE-Mi-02, and starts on its larger cousin the RR Wildfire NPE-Mi-10.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 08:44:47 AM »
[ooc]Just a design listing of the ships mentioned at this time[/ooc]

Bureau of Interstellar Colonization Designs

Code: [Select]
Bauxite Long Range (HP) class Freighter    29,900 tons     117 Crew     434 BP      TCS 598  TH 200  EM 0
334 km/s     Armour 1-85     Shields 0-0     Sensors 5/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 6     PPV 0
MSP 54    Max Repair 25 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 24 months    Spare Berths 0   
Cargo 25000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 25   

MAN NP CE-100 (2)    Power 100    Fuel Use 10.61%    Signature 100    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 250,000 Litres    Range 14.2 billion km   (490 days at full power)

Seimens Civ Navi 2M/5000 (1)     GPS 500     Range 2.5m km    Resolution 100
NorTEL Civ IR Telescope (1)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  5m km

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

The heavy lifter class of BICs ICGs.  The increased speed will cut the journey from earth to Faewald down from 360 days to 240 days.

Colossus (HP) class Jump Freighter    29,900 tons     165 Crew     656 BP      TCS 598  TH 200  EM 0
334 km/s    JR 2-25(C)     Armour 1-85     Shields 0-0     Sensors 5/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 6     PPV 0
MSP 82    Max Repair 55 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 24 months    Spare Berths 1   
Cargo 10000    Cryogenic Berths 20000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 20   

Saab CJX 3-600     Max Ship Size 30000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2
MAN NP CE-100 (2)    Power 100    Fuel Use 10.61%    Signature 100    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 250,000 Litres    Range 14.2 billion km   (490 days at full power)

NorTEL Civ IR Telescope (1)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  5m km

The colonizer/jump ship of BIC.  The round trip distance to Faewald and Back is around 13 billion km so this ship and its consorts can easily do it.

Loch (HP) class Fuel Harvester    28,250 tons     159 Crew     564.5 BP      TCS 565  TH 300  EM 0
530 km/s    JR 2-25(C)     Armour 1-82     Shields 0-0     Sensors 5/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 5     PPV 0
MSP 62    Max Repair 55 MSP
Fuel Harvester: 5 modules producing 140000 litres per annum

Saab CJX 3-600     Max Ship Size 30000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2
MAN NP CE-100 (3)    Power 100    Fuel Use 10.61%    Signature 100    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 300,000 Litres    Range 18.0 billion km   (392 days at full power)

The more speedy Loch class, it fulfills the same function as the Colussus class for the ICG.

Petrol (HP) class Fuel Harvester    28,250 tons     159 Crew     629.5 BP      TCS 565  TH 300  EM 0
530 km/s     Armour 1-82     Shields 0-0     Sensors 5/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 5     PPV 0
MSP 70    Max Repair 30 MSP
Fuel Harvester: 9 modules producing 252000 litres per annum

MAN NP CE-100 (3)    Power 100    Fuel Use 10.61%    Signature 100    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 300,000 Litres    Range 18.0 billion km   (392 days at full power)

The consort of the Loch class.  A fuel harvesting group will produce 644,000 litres of fuel in a year.

Bureau of Survey (Bu Survey)

Amundson Mod1.1 class Science Vessel    3,000 tons     85 Crew     443.25 BP      TCS 60  TH 63  EM 0
1400 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 1-18     Shields 0-0     Sensors 5/1/1/1     Damage Control Rating 4     PPV 0
Maint Life 9.57 Years     MSP 323    AFR 20%    IFR 0.3%    1YR 6    5YR 95    Max Repair 100 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 24 months    Spare Berths 1   

Saab JX3-60     Max Ship Size 3000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
Rolls Royce NP E-M28S (3)    Power 28    Fuel Use 31.16%    Signature 21    Exp 7%
Fuel Capacity 250,000 Litres    Range 48.1 billion km   (397 days at full power)

Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour
Geological Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

This updated makes the Amundson class into what BuSurvey wanted in the first place.  The crew quarters are expanded giving it 24 months endurance.  The higher efficiency and power of the new engines give the ship substantial cruising range (a range increase of 20 billion km) and this is accomplished at the same times as the fuel demands of the ship have been cut back by 100,000 litres of fuel.  There are no complaints about this refit in BuSurvey.

Northern Coalition Naval Command

Edmonton Mod1.2 class Jump Tender    3,000 tons     82 Crew     314 BP      TCS 60  TH 90  EM 120
2000 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 2-18     Shields 4-300     Sensors 15/15/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 0
Maint Life 5.53 Years     MSP 131    AFR 36%    IFR 0.5%    1YR 7    5YR 108    Max Repair 33 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 18 months    Spare Berths 0   

Saab JX3-60     Max Ship Size 3000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
Rolls Royce NP E-M40S (3)    Power 40    Fuel Use 76%    Signature 30    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 7.9 billion km   (45 days at full power)
GE Barrier A119 (4)   Total Fuel Cost  36 Litres per day

Seimens SSS 53-3000 (1)     GPS 1800     Range 11.6m km    Resolution 60
NorTEL IR Array 0-3 (1)     Sensitivity 15     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  15m km
Bell Phased Array P3-15 (1)     Sensitivity 15     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  15m km

Minimal refit to the Edmonton class that gives it the new higher power engines.

Guardian Mod1.1 class Missile Frigate    3,000 tons     79 Crew     379.95 BP      TCS 60  TH 90  EM 120
2000 km/s     Armour 1-18     Shields 4-300     Sensors 15/15/0/0     Damage Control Rating 3     PPV 3
Maint Life 10.67 Years     MSP 237    AFR 24%    IFR 0.3%    1YR 4    5YR 57    Max Repair 30 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 18 months    Flight Crew Berths 8   
Hangar Deck Capacity 250 tons     Magazine 55   

Rolls Royce NP E-M40S (3)    Power 40    Fuel Use 76%    Signature 30    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 150,000 Litres    Range 11.8 billion km   (68 days at full power)

Nordion Buckler CM Launch System (3)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 30
Grumman SCMFC 52-50 (1)     Range 3.0m km    Resolution 1
Hawk (I) Counter Missile (54)  Speed: 2,500 km/s   End: 29.9m    Range: 4.5m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 16 / 9 / 4

Seimens SAMS Vigilant 51-0050 (1)     GPS 10     Range 500k km    Resolution 1
NorTEL IR Array 0-3 (1)     Sensitivity 15     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  15m km
Bell Phased Array P3-15 (1)     Sensitivity 15     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  15m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

Also a minimal refit to this class.  When the Hawk II Counter Missile is available they will be added to this ship.

London Mod1.2 class Escort    3,000 tons     89 Crew     329.5 BP      TCS 60  TH 120  EM 120
2666 km/s     Armour 1-18     Shields 4-300     Sensors 15/15/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 6
Maint Life 7.1 Years     MSP 137    AFR 36%    IFR 0.5%    1YR 5    5YR 71    Max Repair 30 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 18 months    Spare Berths 0   

Rolls Royce NP E-M40S (4)    Power 40    Fuel Use 76%    Signature 30    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 7.9 billion km   (34 days at full power)

Thales MilL-IR Stiletto (2)    Range 30,000km     TS: 2666 km/s     Power 3-1     RM 1    ROF 15        3 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Grundig Sureshot Mk1-25/20X  BFC (1)    Max Range: 40,000 km   TS: 2500 km/s     75 50 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
CANDU AHW 6MW (1)     Total Power Output 6    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Minimal refit to this class updating its engines.  The speed increase results in a slight increase in the laser barbettes ability to track.

Protecteur Mod2.2 class Replenishment Ship    3,000 tons     55 Crew     299.85 BP      TCS 60  TH 84  EM 90
1866 km/s     Armour 1-18     Shields 3-300     Sensors 15/15/0/0     Damage Control Rating 3     PPV 0
Maint Life 29.51 Years     MSP 1187    AFR 24%    IFR 0.3%    1YR 3    5YR 40    Max Repair 15 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 18 months    Spare Berths 2   
Magazine 72   

Rolls Royce NP E-M28S (4)    Power 28    Fuel Use 31.16%    Signature 21    Exp 7%
Fuel Capacity 400,000 Litres    Range 77.0 billion km   (477 days at full power)
GE Barrier A119 (3)   Total Fuel Cost  27 Litres per day

Hawk (I) Counter Missile (27)  Speed: 2,500 km/s   End: 29.9m    Range: 4.5m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 16 / 9 / 4
Javelin II Anti-Ship Missile (5)  Speed: 2,500 km/s   End: 89.9m    Range: 13.5m km   WH: 4    Size: 5    TH: 18 / 11 / 5

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This change was the most controversial as it produced a slower than average ship.  It also boosted the ships active defences, increased the missile stowage space by 40% and added in a dedicated anti-missile sensor suite.  There are solid arguments on both sides of the fence but it was decided that enhancing the ships ability to both perform its secondary task as well as survive were worth slowing down the Support Group of each squadron.

Terrier Mod1.2 class Frigate    3,000 tons     90 Crew     381.95 BP      TCS 60  TH 90  EM 120
2000 km/s     Armour 1-18     Shields 4-300     Sensors 15/15/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 8
Maint Life 6.8 Years     MSP 159    AFR 36%    IFR 0.5%    1YR 6    5YR 90    Max Repair 30 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 18 months    Spare Berths 1   
Magazine 60   

Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 7.9 billion km   (45 days at full power)

Nordion Arbalist ASM Launch System (1)    Missile Size 5    Rate of Fire 150
Nordion Buckler CM Launch System (3)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 30
Grumman SCMFC 52-50 (1)     Range 3.0m km    Resolution 1
Telus ASMFC 53-1000 (1)     Range 20.1m km    Resolution 20
Hawk (I) Counter Missile (30)  Speed: 2,500 km/s   End: 29.9m    Range: 4.5m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 16 / 9 / 4
Javelin II Anti-Ship Missile (6)  Speed: 2,500 km/s   End: 89.9m    Range: 13.5m km   WH: 4    Size: 5    TH: 18 / 11 / 5

Bare bones update of the ships engines.  When the Hawk II and Javelin III missiles come on line the ships combat power will inrease substantially.

Fairmile B2(EW) class Pinnace    215 tons     6 Crew     37.25 BP      TCS 4.3  TH 7.5  EM 0
2325 km/s     Armour 1-3     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Maint Life 72.92 Years     MSP 54    AFR 0%    IFR 0%    1YR 0    5YR 0    Max Repair 10 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 0.2 months    Spare Berths 2   

Bombadier Backboard NPM1-125 (1)    Power 10    Fuel Use 138.35%    Signature 7.5    Exp 12%
Fuel Capacity 5,000 Litres    Range 3.0 billion km   (15 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes

The latest version of the Fairmile Early Warning Pinnance that uses better technology to improve its speed, and reduce the needed crew complement.  The loss of range from more limited fuel was considered acceptable since the pinnance is only designed for week long missions at most.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »
[ooc]A note on the Modx.y nomeclature.  "x" is generally speaking a major update which encompases multiple systems.  "y" is generation upgrade of only a single or a few systems.[/ooc]

AD 2275 The Northern Coalition Commision celebrates 50 years of service to Humanity

It has been 50 years since the Northern Coalition Assembly granted the Commision its mandate to take Humanity to the stars exploiting the so-called "Transnewton Theories" of FTL (Fitz, Thomcast, and Lowell).  In that time signifant advances in the pure and applied sciences have been made.  Sol has been settled to as far as Jupiter, while even the Oort cloud is mined to feed the voacious appetite of the industries of earth and the needs of the construction yards orbiting the planet.  A colony has been established in Alpha Centauri and targets have been set for further outposts of Humanity far from home.  One after another of crisis and setbacks have been faced and none have so far stopped the progression.  The Northern Coalition has grown at home as well, reclaiming territory on Earth that was lost to barbarism and the plague and while half the planet is still dark from orbit, the new megaplexes of St. Rupert, Regina, Des Moines, Toronto, Goose Green, St. Johns, London, Narvik, Rostock, Alt Neu Neubrandenburg, Neu Berlin, St. Petersburg and other major centres are a bright glow.  Mars and Ganymede's atmospheres are now different than before and if the path to being able to breath on them is a long one it has started, the efforts of terraforming are now clearly noticable.  Civillian shiping firms bring products made on Mars, Luna and Venus to markets on the Earth and vice versa.  

In this vein outgoing Commisioner Charlotte Todd's last speach to the Assembly highlights the successes of the Commission over the past five decades.  She then presents the chosen sucessor Mr. Tobias Buxtorf who in his late 20's is one of the newer of the Administrators in the NCC heirarchy.  His last posting was to be the remote manager of the operations on the dwarf planet Haumea.  But he has excellent skills in managing the aspects of an economy that are most applicable to managing the Commissions assets on Earth.  He will have time to grow into the job, one he could potentially hold for over 30 years.  There had been rummors that older Administrators were being sidelined but there seems to be little grumbling in the ranks as these very people are content to finish their careers where they are.  He is a personable manager and has clearly demonstrated a disciplined approach to problem solving, and no press search ever turned up any indication of falsehood on his part.  Squeeky clean was their comments on blogs around the Coalition.  His first task is to optimize factory output as right now that is the most critical component to NCC planning.  Making up for lost time to the Duranium crisis is the official line.

The funding for the NC Commission in early 2275 stands as follows:
Typical Monthly Outlay
Purchase of Minerals from Civilian CMC: 40% (567)
Shipbuilding: 24% (342)
Construction of Installations: 15% (222)
Research: 12% (169)
Shipyard Modificiations: 5% (67)
Other: 4% (63)
Total Outlay: 1430

Typical Monthly Income
Income Tax: 87% (1798)
Tax on Exports/trade goods: 12% (250)
Financial centres (20): 1% (32)
Total: 2080

The increased activities are drawing on the budget of the NCC to a much greater extent than in the past.

Comercial Yard Litton-Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp. (Sol, Earth)

AD 2273 (September 5) 1000 tons of capacity added to the slipways
AD 2273 (October 5) 1000 tons of capacity added to the slipways
AD 2273 (November 5) 1000 tons of capacity added to the slipways, they are now at 45,000 tons considered the most likely value achieved by the next generation jump engine.
AD 2273 (November 30) Goliath (Colossus (I) class) refit is complete
AD 2274 (March 10) Monumental (Colossus (I) class) is finished and becomes the group leader of the Interstellar Colonization Group V
AD 2274 (June 7) Retooling for Colossus (HP) class completed
AD 2274 (October 20) Colossus (Colossus (HP) class) refit is complete.
AD 2274 (December 15) Cyclops (Colossus (I) class) is completed but goes in immediately for refit with the newer engines
AD 2274 (December 20) Titanic (Colossus (HP) class) refit is complete, half of the ICGs leader/jump ships are now refit

Commercial Yard Robert Napier & Sons (Sol, Earth)

AD 2274 (April 10) See (Loch class) is complete in Earth orbit, she is assigned to Fuel Harvesting Group II and will be deployed to AD Leonis
AD 2274 (June 15) Retooling for Petrol (HP) class completed
AD 2274 (December 20) Great Lakes (Loch class) and Petrol (Petrol class) finishes construction and immediately re-enter the yard to be refit to the higher performance (HP) standard

Naval Shipyard Victorias Esquimalt Graving Dock (Sol, Earth)

AD 2274 (January 25) 500 tons of capacity added
AD 2274 (March 30) Cleveland (London Mod1.1 class) built and assigned to 3rd SQN Battlegroup of Task Group 1
AD 2274 (May 10) Dalmatian, and Mastiff (Terrier Mod1.1 class) plus Sentinal (Guardian Mod1 class) are constructed, they are assigned to 3rd SQN Battlegroup of Task Group 1
AD 2274 (October 20) Retooling for Terrier Mod1.2 class completed
AD 2274 (December 25) Sentry, and Sentinal (Guardian Mod1.1 class) plus Banff (Edmonton Mod1.2 class) finish their refits

Naval Shipyard Deschimag A.G. Weser (Sol, Earth)

AD 2273 (November 15) 500 tons of capacity added
AD 2274 (February 5) 500 tons of capacity added
AD 2274 (March 25) SV Leif Ericson (Amundson Mod1.1 class) completes her refit
AD 2274 (July 5) SV Thor Heyerdahl (Amundson Mod1.1 class) is refit to the latest standards
AD 2274 (May 15) SV Henry Hudson (Amundson Mod1.1 class) completes her refit
AD 2274 (August 25) SV John Franklin (Amundson Mod1.1 class) is refit and this finishes the work for BuSurvey
AD 2274 (September 30) Retooling for Protecteur Mod2.2 class is complete
AD 2274 (December 15) 500 tons of capacity added
AD 2274 (December 20) Pius Antorius (Protecteur Mod2.2 class) refit to the new standard

Construction and Events in Sol

AD 2274 (April 10) The first of the new pinnaces the Fairmile B(EW) 001 (Fairmile B(EW)) is built on Earth.  This series will be shortly be replaced by the B2.
AD 2274 (April 30) An extention to earths Deep Space Tracking Station is finished the area now monitored grows signifantly and further expansion of the satalite cluster is planned
AD 2274 (May 20) Expansion of the Earth University campuses begins.  This is a critical necessity as currently not enough officers are in service to command all existing ships.
AD 2274 (December 20) Fuel stocks dip to the 10% level causing concern though the whole Navy.  The situation would have been no fuel in the tank farm but neither the Great Lakes nor the Petrol need their tanks filled to full.  It is a stark reminder that the fuel crisis is not yet solved.  [ooc]I got a no fuel for missile production message...until I detanked 200,000 liters from the two harvesters[/ooc]

Northern Coalition Army

AD 2273 (September 25) Danske Livgarde Bn (mobile infantry) completes integration training
AD 2274 (May 5) Fort Narvik Defence Bn (garrison) completes training, the Royal Marines Infantry Division is broken down into a cadre to be trained with the latest TN weapondry
AD 2274 (December 15) Royal Marines Bn (mobile infantry) completes field testing in Wainwright and the Sussex and Wessex Volunteer Bn begins the formation process

AD 2273 (October 25) The civilian mining colony on Reinmuth has been expanded to 6 civilian mining complexes
AD 2274 (February 20) The civilian mining colony on Van Biesbroeck has been expanded to 3 civilian mining complexes
AD 2274 (August 25) The civilian mining colony on Neujmin has been expanded to 4 civilian mining complexes
AD 2274 (November 20) The civilian mining colony on Wolf-Harrington has been expanded to 6 civilian mining complexes

Research Progress

AD 2273 (September 25) Dr. Samantha Buckley's team finalizes the larger missile engine the RR Wildfire NPE-Mi-10 and turns its attention to the fighter engine upgrade the Bombadier Backboard NPM1-125
AD 2273 (October 25) Dr. Samantha Buckley's team completes the design of the Bombadier Backboard NPM1-125 and moves onto the first of the ship engines the Rolls Royce NP E-M28S
AD 2273 (December 30) Dr. Samantha Buckley's team hands over the plans for the Rolls Royce NP E-M28S and begins development with corporate teams of the MAN NP CE-100 engine
AD 2274 (January 5) Construction of a new Research Lab completed on Earth, it is turned over to Dr. Lucas Watkins team researching a smaller fuel tank
AD 2274 (May 15) Dr. Samantha Buckley's team developes the MAN NP CE-100 engine and returns to Rolls Royce for the newest standard military engine, the Rolls Royce NP E-M40S
AD 2274 (September 30) Dr. Samantha Buckley's team finishes research into Rolls Royce NP E-M40S engine and turns the laboratory space over the Dr. Natasha Gray and her team who starts working on the Hawk II Counter Missile for the Navy
AD 2274 (October 20) Dr. Natasha Gray's team has completed plans for the Hawk II Counter Missile and starts to develop newest in the Javelin series, the Javelin III Anti-Ship Missile
AD 2274 (December 15) Dr. Lucas Watkins' team completes research into Fuel Storage - Tiny.  The laboratory space is turned over to Dr. KnæikiR Hólmkellson who repurposes it for research into improvinig the speed of terraforming operations (terraforming rate 0.0012 per yer).  Dr. Watkins retires and his farewell party is well attended by members of both the Navy and the Army.  He has, over the last 40 years, led the development of a significant number of systems while not as spectacular as engines that allow ships to transend Einstein's barrier are the solid necessities one needs for exploiting such a thing as a Jump drive.  Fuel tanks, command and control systems, better engineering spaces, ground combat weapons, new models in troop utilization, and more.  But as no protege exists to carry this work foward the NC commision decidest to refocus its applied laboratories on Terraforming a so far neglected science that based on the number of near misses in terms of colonization prospects will be an absolute necessity in the future.

1st Geosurvey Team and the Upholder

For the past many years the various members of the 1st Geosurvey team and the Geosurvey vessel Upholder have been paired together to conduct ground based surveys of the bodies of the Sol system.  The inner planets were surveyed first with no new result.  The 1st Geosurvey team then started in on the asteroids that had been found to contain minerals that lay between Mars and Jupiter, approximately 70% of those bodies recieved a ground survey, and nothing new was found.  The work of the original Upholder crew had been exceptionally thorough it seems.  Utilizing the fact Jupiter was close to the last survey the team went there and starting a ground survey of Ganymede, finding nothing new they proceeded to Io.  On December 20, 2273 the team transmits the finalized results and for the first time it seems something slipped through the Upholders orbital scanneer.  Io is found to contain 2 069 451 tons of Neutronium with easy accessibility (0.9).  The team proceeds to Europa to start the survey of that moon.

The find is welcome news as Neutronium is a key component to most infrastructure making a secure supply of it critical.  As Io and Ganymede had both been considered for settlement it is a bit of bad luck that it was found on Io.  It does leave the commision and BIC in a quandry.  They both wish to prevent another case of the Dump, but given the lift capacity of the civillian lines and the fact that Venus grabs most infrastruture produced on Earth means that they must produce enough infrastructure on Earth to support at least the number of colonists currently onboard civillian vessels.  Not to do so will lead to another round of lawsuits and this time the arguement the government could do nothing against the tragedy would not hold atmosphere.  Duranium is plentiful enough to produce sufficient intrastructure to get the colony off to a good start.  Development of Io's mineral reserves are then tenatively scheduled for after the completion of the expansion to Earth University and before the start of the latest PDC refit.  BIC is confident they can have some mines and a terraformer in operation by 2276.

AD 2274 (March 16) Alpha Centauri, Vincinity of Alpha Centauri A-V

Lt. Commander Grace Payne listened on her headset, "We have stable orbit." was the report from her helmsman.  She turned to the other part of the bridge.  "Secure from cruise configuration.  Despin the habitate section and deploy the refinery."  "Aye, aye ma'am."  The warning siren sounded and five minutes later slowly gravity dropped over the whole of the crew deck as the rotation of the compartment reduced, it took some five minutes to stop the spin and lock the hab module into its position.  "We are ready to deploy the refineries now."  Grace nodded to herself watching the activity occuring around her through the hologram of the status information.  "Start deployment."  "Aye, aye."

The ship reverberates as the locking bars retract and hydraulic pistons start to push the refinery segements apart changing the shape of the ship from a compact spindle with drive boom and forward fuel cap to something resembling a complex molecule or childs tinker toy.  Step by step the process is accompanied by the buzz of check lists, and the occasional bout of cursing.

Grace taps her key to activate her microphone, "Chief have you got it?"  "Yes Cap...got that damn thing unstuck."  Crewman Newcastle's voice has that odd tone assocaited with someone talking in a helmet that she automatically filters out from much exprience.  "Valve stuck...some lubricant leaked out and froze her solid...we used the torch and a wee bit of persuation and she is working smooth like silk now."  "Thanks Chief, good job."  She watches the indicator showing that the space walking crew was back onboard then keys the mike to another channel.  "Alright, we are green for startup on my screen, engineering are your ready for spin up?"  "Aye captain, we are showing solid locks on all refinery sections and the distribution network is all good to go now."  "Right then stand by for positive spin."  "Helm, sound the rotation alarm and then bring the ship to production revolution."

Outside the ship attitude jets fire in a programed sequence and the ship starts to spin.  The central spindle remains at low G but the extended refineries now have positive centripal force that is both useful to the crews and aids in the seperation of the heavier sorium from the base gas mixture.  The habitation module has now a comfortable 0.75 G effective gravity.

"Spin up sucessful Captain, we are at full revs."  "Excellent, Refinery control are you ready to deploy harvesters?"  "Yes captain, all five harvesters are green for go."  "At your discresion then Refinery Control."  "Right-oh!"  Inside of a minute the five robot craft are flung away from the ship by the spin as the clamps holding them in place are released.  "Harvesters are away.  Telemetry is good.  They are manuevering."  Grace nodded as the voice in her ear confirmed what her status display told her.  She drifted over to one of the pannels and set it to display a picture of the planet, and 15 min later was rewarded by seeing the vapour trails of the five harvester forming in the gas giants upper atmosphere.  "Opening ram scoops now...all show green...gas flow nominal..."  The shock waves of the passage of the harvester drones would fade in time but it was in its own way remarkably beautiful.

An hour later the now filled drones docked back with their respective refinery segments, a longer process than the launch and much more finicky.  "We have solid locks on number 3...opening valves...valves open...starting pumps..."  Grace grinned that was the last drone...it had taken a long time but she got to be the first, it was 15:14 GMT.  "Communications, send to Dwarfhold.  'Governor, the Loch is on line and we are open for business.'"  She knew the words would be resent to the ICG nearest the jump point and transmitted to Earth once they were through with the jump.  The first fuel harvester was in operation.

AD 2274 Victorias Esquimalt Graving Dock, Earth Oribt

By the time it was over on the 20th of June, the workers were contimplating claiming hazzard pay.  Cpt. Diana Nim had been on their case the last few days with a look on her face that could sandblast steel to a high burnish.  She wanted her squadron in space and the refit had to be done now and done right.  To say they were glad to see 1st Squadron boosting for the Lalande 21185 Jump Point was a major understatement.  Cpt. Nim having won the toss was going to lead the effort to establish a colony in AD Leonis and resume survey operations...and the damned ICG and FHG were sitting on the jump point waiting for her.  They had been there for weeks...waiting on the Navy escort.  It took the ships of 1st Squadron slightly more than 6 days to travel the distance and trailing them by a few days were the ships of the survey group (SV Leif Ericson and GSVs Oberon and Tycho Bryhe).  The survey ships would arrive on 2nd of July, by this time the Navy had probed the jump point declared it clear of hostiles and moved on with the BIC ships jumping in systems behind them.  The faster Naval ships crossed the dead useless system of Lalande 21185 and their passives detected nothing out of the ordinary.  The squadron arrived at the jump point to AD Leonis on the 16th of July and jumped through finding, as most expected that system free of any presence but theirs.  It was true that none of this was un-expected but the existance of the Wolvers meant that the blithe assumptions that had fed the first expansion surge now had to deal with the reality of the existance of Aliens with Unpleasent Dispositions (AUDs) or any of a host of other other acronmys (ALFWATFH, BEM, etc).   As Gliese 408 was the planned target of the survey effort Cpt. Nim ordered the 1st Squadron to move to that jump point and probe it.  Arriving there on the 22nd of July her ships jumped in and found the inner system as quiet as it had been when the last SV transited out.  She returns to AD Leonis to await the BIC and BuSurvey ships.

The Interstellar Survey Group I and Alpha and Beta Grav Survey Missions enter Gliese 408 on the 28th of July and the two Grav Survey missions resume the surveying of the remaining survey locations that were needed to complete the gravitational map of the system.  The Leif Ericson turns its attention to the asteroids of the relatively mineral poor system, it begins surveying them for minerals.

The two BIC groups make their slow way across Lalande 21185 with FHG II arriving in AD Leonis on the 13th of September and crossing the distance to the systems lone gas giant to arrive in a polar orbit over it on the 1st of October.  Once Cpt. Nim recieves confirmation the refinery is in operation on the 3rd of October she orders the Protecteur to refuel her Battlegroup and then proceed to the FH See and fill her tanks.  The RS Protecteur arrives at the FH See on the 6th and siphons off a bit over 200 000 litres of fuel.  Admitedly this is mostly fuel the See had bunkered at Earth but it tests the system out and the now topped up RS Protecteur returns to refuel the Support Group.  On the 27th of that same month ICG V jumps in system and proceeds to the inner planet.  The ICG arrives at the planet on the 25th of November, and off loads the infrastructure and 500 colonists they had with them.  The Planet is renamed Forge, as the crushing atmospheric pressure of 43 atmospheres of a CO2/SO2 mix combines with a surface temperature of nearly 1200°C to form conditions normally only found in smelters.  Lakes of liquid metal can infact be found on the planet in lowland areas.  The colony is sited in a mountain valley as high as possible on the termitor in this case as far from the star side as possible, the 500 first-in-colonists are soon busy setting up the basic services they will need to survive on what most call unashamedly a right hell-hole.  Even though AD Leonis is a dim red star Forge orbits at a distance of only 4.6 million km so the day side's sky is dominated by the view of the star...a year is only 3.8 earth standard days on Forge.  The planet has a gravity of 1.04 G and thankfully a strong magnetic field.  As it is tide locked half the planet is in permanent shadow but the strong winds and high degree of convection don't allow the temperature to drop as much is normal on, for example, Faewald.  After dropping its load of colonists, ICG V breaks orbit and heads back toward the jump point leading to Earth, it will be back with another load of infrastructure and 500 more colonists in around 11 months.

In Gliese 408 the gravitational survey is completed on the 27th and no new jump points are found.  As well no mineral rich asteroids had been found.  Cmnd.  Elliot Stokes decides that based on this he will start surveying GJ 1156, the system that connects to this one.  Gliese 408 II is one of the closest worlds to Earth ever found.  It has water, a gravity of 0.87 G, an atmosphere of 83% Nitrogen and 17% Oxygen, that is just a shade too low in oxygen content to breathable (0.09 atmosphere).  The drawbacks are that it is tidelocked to its star, that its average surface temperature is 45°C making it hot and that it lacks Duranium although Corbomite, Vendarite and Gallacite are present.  Still it is the best place in the area for habitation and it would be wise to find out more about its nearest neighbor.  On the 5th of January 2275, the SV Leif Ericson jumps back to AD Leonis to confir with the Navy Squardon waiting at the jump point.  Cmnd. Elliot and Cpt. Nim discuss the situation and though unhappy as the Navy wants a place they can set up a outsystem maintance facility at badly this is BICs call so Nim agrees to probe GJ 1156 and station the Battlegroup at the jump point to it in Gleise 408. Elliot returns to his ship his plan aproved.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:57:29 PM by Paul M »

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 09:48:22 AM »
AD 2275  Restarting Out-System Operations

This year marks the start of further exploration and more importantly outsystem development for Humanity or at least those living in the areas governed by the NC.  It has been a learning period where the first fueling groups interact with the Navy to support the Naval ships operations.  Fuel production by the end of the year is just under 3 million litres per year.  This is largely due to Commisioner Buxtorf's efforts at streamlining and making more efficient the process.  [ooc]He has a +40% factory bonus, this is one of the main reasons he got the nod.[/ooc]  This coupled with a steady growth in the number of factories has produced a significant increase in fuel production.  Even though during the year the level of fuel in the tank farm rose and fell it never collapsed.  It required careful monitoring but the system is holding up.  By the end of the year something over 750,000 litres per year of fuel production capacity exist outside of Sol.

Comercial Yard Litton-Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp. (Sol, Earth)
AD 2275 (January 15) Cyclops (Colossus (HP) class) finishes refit
AD 2275 March 5) Behemoth (Colossus (HP) class) is refit
AD 2275 (July 5) Monumental (Colossus (HP) class) is refit
AD 2275 (November 20) Leviathan (Colossus (HP) class) is built and becomes the leader of ICG VII.  A new Colossus class is started and the yard is waiting on a single Colussus on the way back from Faewald.  Once that ship arrives and enters into refit the yard can start to retool for the Bauxite HP varient.

Comercial Yard Robert Napier & Sons (Sol, Earth)
AD 2275 (February 5) Great Lakes (Loch (HP) class) and Petrol (Petrol (HP) class) finishes refit and soon is on the way to AD Leonis and Alpha Centauri respectively
AD 2275 (October 30) Insjo (Loch (HP) class) is built and sets off for AD Leonis
AD 2275 (November 30) Benzene (Petrol (HP) class) is built and assigned to New Construction/Shakedown Training awaiting an ICG heading to Faewald

Naval Shipyard Victorias Esquimalt Graving Dock (Sol, Earth)
AD 2275 (January 15) Warder (Guardian Mod1 class) is built and enters into a refit and the Cleveland (London Mod1.2 class) finishes refit.
AD 2275 (January 25) Perryvale (Edmonton Mod1.2 class) is refit
AD 2275 (February 30) Mastiff Dalmatian (Terrier Mod1.2 class) is refit
AD 2275 (April 5) Warder (Guardian Mod1.1 class) finishes her refit
AD 2275 (May 30) Watchman (Guardian Mod1.1 class) plus Bloodhound, and Beagle (Terrier Mod1.2 class) are refit
AD 2275 (June 20) Cheshire (London Mod1.2 class) finishes refit
AD 2275 (November 5) Airedale, and Borsoi (Terrier Mod1.2 class) as well as Guardian, and Picket (Guardian Mod1.1 class) plus Edmonton (Edmonton Mod1.2 class) are refit
AD 2275 (November 30) Dorset (London Mod1.2 class) is refit bringing the 1st squadron to the latest standard

Naval Shipyard Deschimag A.G. Weser (Sol, Earth)
AD 2275 (February 25) 500 tons of capacity added
AD 2275 (May 5) 500 tons of capacity added
AD 2275 (July 10) 500 tons of capacity added
AD 2275 (September 15) 500 tons of capacity added
AD 2275 (November 15) 500 tons of capacity added
AD 2275 (November 20) Protecteur (Protecteur Mod2.2 class) is refit
AD 2276 (January 15) 500 tons of capacity added

Northern Coalition Army
AD 2275 (December 15) Sussex and Wessex Volunteers Bn trained on Earth

AD 2275 (February 5) The civilian mining colony on Wolf-Harrington has been expanded to 7 civilian mining complexes
AD 2275 (June 10) The civilian mining colony on Encke has been expanded to 6 civilian mining complexes
AD 2275 (June 26) The civilian mining colony on Wolf-Harrington has been expanded to 8 civilian mining complexes
AD 2275 (August 7) The civilian mining colony on Encke has been expanded to 7 civilian mining complexes

Research Progress
AD 2275 (January 15) Dr. Natasha Gray's team finishes development of the Javelin III Anti-Ship Missile and turns the lab space back over to Dr. VíkingR Hœkillson's team working on a more jump engine basics.
AD 2275 (June 10) Dr. Morgan Fowler has joined your scientific establishment.  His research speciality is Defensive Systems.
AD 2275 (November 5) Dr. Tristan Brashear has joined your scientific establishment.  His research speciality is Missiles / Kinetic Weapons.
AD 2275 (December 30) Dr. Ellen Allan's team completes research into improved computer networks and advanced processor capacity (Research Rate 280 RP) and starts examining new methodologies to improve shipyard efficiency (Shipyard Operations: 10% Time/Cost Saving)

Operations in Sol
On the 25th of April the 1st Geosurvey team finishes their survey of Europa finding nothing new and the Upholder transports them to Calisto to start on the survey of that moon.  The first Fairmile B2 (EW) class pinnance is constructed on the 20th of July.  Significant production of both the Hawk II and Javelin III missile occur and all Naval squadrons are re-munitioned with the latest versions.  By the end of the year the focus changes to production for the Forts of Earth.

BIC Operations in 2275
BIC with a certain amount of grumbling plans for the exploitation of Io by scheduling 4 batches of colonial infrastructure and a terraforming engine, by the end of the year they have half the planned infrastructure in warehouses.  Clearly they will need to send a certain amount of infrastructure to Ganymede to compensate the colonists there to avoid a massive political fight.  But the revised planning sees the colony on Io being established in 2276 but with no obvious sticking points.

For Forge ICG V returns to AD Leonis in November and by the end of the month an automatic mine and another 500 people are dropped off at the young colony.  The next trip will focus on moving colonial infrastructure and a further 500 people.  At this rate it will take some 6 trips to establish the colony of 10,000.  Each trip takes on the order of 6 months one way, so it is likely a Bauxite heavy freighter will be available to speed up the process, but worse case by 2279 the colony of Forge will be established.

In Alpha Centauri, on the 1st of October the Petrol rendevous with the Loch in Faewald orbit and sends its crew on shoreleave.  The new tank farm on Faewald will supply ICG 3 with nearly 80,000 of fuel harvested in system.  The assembly of the Listening Post is completed in mid november and comes online soon after.  At about the same time the FHG I arrives back at the gas gaint Alpha Centauri V to resume harvesting operations.  Faewald is reporting overcrowding so clearly a major load of colonial infrastructure and it is suggest another construction factory needs to be delievered to the colony whose population will soon exceed Ganymede's.  The colony is experiencing a sevre worker shortage as well but still it mines are churning out TN minerals at as good rate even if every mine is operating only at 75% of rated capacity.  Growth for the colony can be said to be slow but steady.

Fuel harvesting in AD Leonis is going well with the Navy's Protecteurs tanking their respective squadrons and then filling up at the harvesters.  So far the fuel available has been slightly below the needed value but as more and more harvesters are built this will change.  What is clear though is that the process is working.  The Navy's relatively short ranged ships are able to operate effectively and while fuel use is a factor to their operations it isn't a major concern.

BuSurvey/NC Navy Operations in 2275
BuSurvey is estatic to be back in business after the long pause.  Along with the Navy they are learning how to coordinate actions and most importantly how to keep up sustained operations.  Late in the year ISG II and Delta and Epsilon Grav Survey missions boost from earth orbit heading for the Lalande 11851 jump point they will relieve the ISG I which will return to Earth for shore leave and overhauls.  So far fuel from the harvesters in AD Leonis has been reserved for the Navy but the changing of ISG II for ISG I is due to crew fatigue and not fuel exhaustion.  1st Squadron yields escort duties to the 2nd Squadron in October and returns to Earth for a refit.   1st Squadron arrives in Earth orbit with around 30% fuel in the warships, which is sure proof that the fuel harvester concept works given they had been refilled by the Protecteur once in their deployment.

(GJ 1156)
AD 2275 (March 2)  A new Jump Point is found
AD 2275 (May15) Minerals discovered on GJ 1156-A VI - Moon 1: Uridium 1,806 (1)  
AD 2275 (May 26) Minerals discovered on GJ 1156-A VI - Moon 14: Vendarite 203 (1)  
AD 2275 (July 7) The gravitational survey is completed in the GJ 1156 system. The system has a total of 2 jump points.  The outgoing jump point is not explored as this system was only being explored as it would be next door to a settled system.
AD 2275 (August 12) Minerals discovered on GJ 1156-A II: Duranium 4,061,250 (0.8 )  Sorium 1,343,281 (0.4)

(Wolf 358)
AD 2275 (December 6) Minerals discovered on Wolf 358-A VI: Sorium 252,000 (0.7)  
AD 2275 (December 6) Minerals discovered on Wolf 358-A VI - Moon 1: Duran 481 (1)  Neut 1 (1)  Corb 324 (1)  Trit 484 (1)  Merc 176 (1)  Vend 11 (1)  Sorium 462 (1)  
AD 2276 (January 10) A new Jump Point is found
AD 2276 (January 14) Minerals discovered on Wolf 358-A VI - Moon 14: Neutronium 473,344 (0.9)  Corbomite 73,984 (0.8 )  Tritanium 399,424 (1)  Gallicite 28,224 (1)  
AD 2276 (January 21) The gravitational survey is completed in the Wolf 358 system. The system has a total of 5 jump points making it not only a very mineral rich system but a key jump point nexus.  ISG I stops survey operations and prepares to return to Earth turning over its operations to the ISG II.

Offline Anarade Relle

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • A
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 09:30:10 AM »
You've been treating your fuel situation quite sensibly. Far better then I have; I ended up with a big fleet and no gas to fly them.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 11:47:15 AM »
You've been treating your fuel situation quite sensibly. Far better then I have; I ended up with a big fleet and no gas to fly them.

Thank you and sorry for the delay replying I was on my christmas holidays and discovered my memory was not up to remembering my site password.  I have to admit I worry constantly that I am building too many ships for my fuel status.  I have to write up another update as I recover from jet lag.  The fuel situation is still a major concern though.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 10:38:38 AM »
Nice AAR. Few typos and such here and there but they don't really impede reading this. I like your style, keep it up!

Also, can you imagine being among the 500 first colonists to Forge? 11 months with mere 499 other people, stuck setting up an underground base under those conditions? I bet synth-beer consumption was heavy  :D

I've never done a conventional start with such a low population base. I usually start with 6 or 7 billion people Unified Earth. It sure makes the beginning easy as you have plenty of research labs and conventional industry but the mineral/fuel-crashes can be just as bad.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:42:56 AM by Garfunkel »