Author Topic: Red Phoenix  (Read 3388 times)

Offline boggo2300 (OP)

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
Red Phoenix
« on: April 30, 2019, 05:32:59 PM »
Just started re-reading Larry Bond (author of Harpoon the game) novel Red Phoenix a now seriously out of date techno thriller about a re-ignited Korean War,  man I'd forgotten how much I loved that book!
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Red Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 06:24:11 PM »
Just started re-reading Larry Bond (author of Harpoon the game) novel Red Phoenix a now seriously out of date techno thriller about a re-ignited Korean War,  man I'd forgotten how much I loved that book!

I read that a while ago. Have you read Vortex (Cuba vs South Africa) and Cauldron (US/UK vs EU) by the same author. Also very good.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 06:28:08 PM »
As a follow up I think the techno-thrillers I enjoyed most were the six books by Joe Buff that started with Deep Sound Channel (written from 2000 to 2005). The series is about a tactical nuclear war at sea from the perspective of submarine commanders on both sides.

Offline boggo2300 (OP)

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 05:18:41 PM »
As a follow up I think the techno-thrillers I enjoyed most were the six books by Joe Buff that started with Deep Sound Channel (written from 2000 to 2005). The series is about a tactical nuclear war at sea from the perspective of submarine commanders on both sides.

Right!  my reading list just grew!

I do like Sub battles (must be some hangover from 2300's star cruiser which when all is said and done is sub battles in space :D )

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 02:18:40 AM »
Have you read the sequel to Red Phoenix set with a more modern set up of North Korea , also fairly readable and interesting it is called Red Phoenix Burning

The following users thanked this post: boggo2300

Offline boggo2300 (OP)

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 05:00:04 PM »
Have you read the sequel to Red Phoenix set with a more modern set up of North Korea , also fairly readable and interesting it is called Red Phoenix Burning

aaaand one more to the reading list!

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 11:39:06 AM »
Deep Sound Channel was really good. I really need to continue that series. Hopefully Amazon Kindle will have both Red Phoenix and Red Phoenix Burning.