Author Topic: NPR Spawn Distance  (Read 1353 times)

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
NPR Spawn Distance
« on: August 09, 2020, 02:58:04 PM »
I've had some issues where I don't seem to encounter any NPRs in my games and I am trying to diagnose the cause.

I have the NPR spawn distance set 25-250 light-years in a 1000 star game. I've explored about 100 systems and haven't found any NPRs at all. I've had the NPR spawn rate set at 75-100 percent for the entire game, and I'm about 500 years into the game at this point.

Am I just unlucky or is there some setting that I've misconfigured somewhere?
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: NPR Spawn Distance
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 06:21:48 PM »
I've had some issues where I don't seem to encounter any NPRs in my games and I am trying to diagnose the cause.

I have the NPR spawn distance set 25-250 light-years in a 1000 star game. I've explored about 100 systems and haven't found any NPRs at all. I've had the NPR spawn rate set at 75-100 percent for the entire game, and I'm about 500 years into the game at this point.

Am I just unlucky or is there some setting that I've misconfigured somewhere?

I know you been playing for a while now but just double checking you are aware that the NPR spawn distance applies only to NPR generated at start. So if that was set to 0 the only way you have to encounter a new NPR is to rely on the actual spawn modifier when you jump in a new system.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
Re: NPR Spawn Distance
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 07:49:37 PM »
Steve's post about this setting only specifies what it does in Known Stars games:

There is a new option on the New Game window that allows you to specify the minimum and maximum distance (in light years) of starting NPRs in Known Stars games. The NPR starting location will be selected from the list of known star systems within that distance range from Sol.

I presume that it does nothing in games that are not using the Known Stars option.
In which case, it seems you have just had poor luck finding NPRs in random systems.