Author Topic: Planetary Bombs?  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Mormota (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
Planetary Bombs?
« on: December 09, 2011, 10:06:07 AM »
I heard that missiles with a 1m flight time are planetary bombs. Does this mean I need to add a bit of fuel and engine to it, or can it be 100% warhead? Because I decided to go and destroy an NPR's planet which is taking me way too long to subjugate.

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
Re: Planetary Bombs?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 11:10:22 AM »
Planetary bombs have no flight time, 0 endurance. They explode immediately I believe.

Offline Mormota (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 11:11:03 AM »
So how do I make and fire them? A missile 100% warhead fired at a planet from a ship directly orbiting the planet?

Offline orfeusz

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 12:25:48 PM »
So how do I make and fire them? A missile 100% warhead fired at a planet from a ship directly orbiting the planet?

yes
Only in Death does Duty End

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:54:17 PM »
It's a 1 second flight time, not 1 minute.  The game can go as short as 5 second turns, if you'll recall.

I wasn't entirely sure about this either.  This means that the "missile" requires no engine?  Since it's in orbit when fired, it just uses gravity to assume a 1 second drop and strike, yes?

Would it be theoretically possible to make a final-fire PD missile with 0 fuel?  If you've got high enough engine tech, you could squeeze a few thousand km out of 1s flight.  Or, presumably, a missile with no fuel can only strike targets directly at the same location?  Does that mean an orbital bomb can be used to strike, say, a swarm queen if you got your bomber ship in close enough?

Offline PTTG

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »
In my designs for a planet-buster warhead, I'd go ahead and give it 1 unit engine and 0.01 fuel, so it'll hit a planet no problem, and if you actually do get a bomber with one of these things on top of something, it would work mechanically.