Author Topic: Resources too small.  (Read 2813 times)

Offline coco146 (OP)

• Registered
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
Resources too small.
« on: April 02, 2012, 02:05:27 AM »
I just got the game a few days ago and so far I think I'm getting the hang of it, however my resources on earth are running out faster than I can build colonies to provide them meaning
g that I cant build colonies to get resources.   Is there a parameter for increasing the resources found on planets?

Offline Corik

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
Re: Resources too small.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 03:00:26 AM »
You can make a Geological Survey Team at Earth and let them find more resources, however this is very random and when they finish their search no more minerals will ever be found (random chance too).

The most efficient thing to do is to start planning a Corundium mining colony in a planet or moon whith high resoureces and high availability. That is, designing and building a geosurvey ship, send it to explore the system, design and build cargo ships, use your available Corundium to build automated mines at Earth and send them to the planet/moon you choose.

That's always my strategy in the first stages of my games because otherwise I always end with corundium shortages.

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:15:03 AM »
You can always enter SM mode, open the F9 System View, and manually add more resources to Earth.

Offline Daniel_Dorn

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 07:18:44 AM »
I got the same problem but it has to be a bug.  I live in germany so I have to set the keyboard layout differently.  There is a modded version that seems to fix it so it is playable without changing the country settings, but there is another problem.

The resources on earth at the start of the game are lower than 1000, and as I tried changing it with the SM, the numbers are in the millions and billions.  Changing these around it seems that all numbers are cut off somehow.  I turned on the finished survey for all bodies in the starsystem and on all planets its the same problem.

Another bug is that adding equipment to shipdesigns make their design information disappear

Offline Zatsuza

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Z
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 03:45:38 PM »
Resources on your homeworld are always small in quantity-- usually around 30~50k of the most used minerals and a little less for some others.
It's quite common to completely mine out some minerals in the first few years.
However, there is an always some of EVERY mineral.
  • don't build more manned mines
  • convert those you already have to automated mines. Frees up more personell to work in other sectors (like research labs.)
  • ship automated mines offworld with a mass driver and set up some automated colonies.

--and remember, just because your homeworld runs out of sorium doesn't mean you're out of fuel. Even the starting amount of fuel refineries will pump out enough fuel for quite a lot of exploration, but then again you need sorium for some parts of ship construction too iirc.

Once you get the hang of it you'll realize that you'll have a serious mineral crunch on some minerals (notably corundium and duranium, anything used for building up industry.)

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 04:41:02 PM »
The resources on earth at the start of the game are lower than 1000, and as I tried changing it with the SM, the numbers are in the millions and billions.  Changing these around it seems that all numbers are cut off somehow.  I turned on the finished survey for all bodies in the starsystem and on all planets its the same problem.

Because you are using the . as a thousands separator the game even though you've avoided the crash for it is seing that as the decimal separator, therefore the highest number you're going to get is 999

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Daniel_Dorn

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 04:52:53 AM »
Quote from: Zatsuza link=topic=4767. msg62964#msg62964 date=1368996338
Resources on your homeworld are always small in quantity-- usually around 30~50k of the most used minerals and a little less for some others. 
It's quite common to completely mine out some minerals in the first few years.
However, there is an always some of EVERY mineral. 
  • don't build more manned mines
  • convert those you already have to automated mines.  Frees up more personell to work in other sectors (like research labs. )
  • ship automated mines offworld with a mass driver and set up some automated colonies.

--and remember, just because your homeworld runs out of sorium doesn't mean you're out of fuel.  Even the starting amount of fuel refineries will pump out enough fuel for quite a lot of exploration, but then again you need sorium for some parts of ship construction too iirc.

Once you get the hang of it you'll realize that you'll have a serious mineral crunch on some minerals (notably corundium and duranium, anything used for building up industry. )

It seems that you didn't read my post at all.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:39:09 AM »
Have you tried entering numbers in scientific notation.  I have noticed under the US rules that 1x 10^7 or larger numbers will be converted to such notations.

This is just a guess that has some small chance of working.  Otherwise you may just be out of luck and down to changing the base setting on your computer as a whole.  I am not sure I would want to do that as it can cause problems for other programs if you forget to change it back.

Brian

Offline icecoldblood

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »
You know, this might be the reason you weren't able to access the Six Stars database.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
I got the same problem but it has to be a bug.  I live in germany so I have to set the keyboard layout differently.  There is a modded version that seems to fix it so it is playable without changing the country settings, but there is another problem.

Another bug is that adding equipment to shipdesigns make their design information disappear

I´m pretty sure this is not a german/german keyboard thing, as _I_ am using my german PC without that problem.

Of course, I am using the US setting for numbers (never heard of a mod for aurora, and if there is one out there and you use it, please don´t report any bugs, assuming it is no official "Steve-Mod")
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 02:52:10 PM »
I´m pretty sure this is not a german/german keyboard thing, as _I_ am using my german PC without that problem.

Of course, I am using the US setting for numbers (never heard of a mod for aurora, and if there is one out there and you use it, please don´t report any bugs, assuming it is no official "Steve-Mod")

I think he might be referring to the portable release.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 08:04:45 PM »
I got the same problem but it has to be a bug.  I live in germany so I have to set the keyboard layout differently.  There is a modded version that seems to fix it so it is playable without changing the country settings, but there is another problem.

The resources on earth at the start of the game are lower than 1000, and as I tried changing it with the SM, the numbers are in the millions and billions.  Changing these around it seems that all numbers are cut off somehow.  I turned on the finished survey for all bodies in the starsystem and on all planets its the same problem.

Asuming you are German too:

Iirc. musst du in den Settings von Windows den Dezimalseparator von "," auf "." umstellen (edit: Weil VB6 die zahlen nach Systemsettings interpretiert). Versuch mal (in XP bis Vista) Start -> Einstellung-> Systemsteuerung -> Regions- und Sprachoptionen. Im Reiter "Format" suchst du dir dann die Einstellung "Englisch "Großbritannien"".

Danach klickst du nochmal auf "Dieses Format anpassen" (ein Button unter selbigen "Format" Reiter unten rechts). In dem erscheinenden Fenster stellst du das Dezimaltrennzeichen auf ".". Das "Symbol für die Zifferngruppierung" setzt du auf "," (Zifferngruppierung auf 3 stellen). Wenn du das hast klickst du auf "übernehmen" und dann auf "ok". Aurora sollte jetzt ordentlich laufen. GGf. musst du ein neues Spiel starten.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:24:04 PM by Heph »
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t