Author Topic: Venus. A colonial nightmare.  (Read 2322 times)

Offline GenJeFT (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Venus. A colonial nightmare.
« on: April 03, 2013, 12:22:11 AM »
How do I terraform Venus? I am currently terraforming both Mars and Luna and will soon move to terraform planets in the Barnard Star system and Alpha Centauri system. But those planets have no atmosphere. Venus has an atmosphere, a crap one but it has one. How do I change it?

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
Re: Venus. A colonial nightmare.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:43:45 AM »
Same way you do any other atmosphere. It just takes much longer. Generally speaking, it's uncommon to try to terraform Venus. Too difficult for the rewards.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 01:25:33 AM »
Venus has 100 atmosphere's in pressure and you have to tell your terraformers to remove all of it (essentially) then tailor it for humans.

It is a rather long project, so unless Venus has extensive mineral wealth it is unlikely to be worth doing so outside of the whole "we have done it."  Building spacestations around it to support the population is a better bet (population to run stuff).  Also about the only way you could do it with planet based terraformer engines.  But a quick comparision between the speed of atmosphere modification and 100 atmosphere's worth of atmosphere says 100-10000 years depending on your dedication to the task.

Offline GenJeFT (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »
Venus is actually moderately rich in my game. Compared to the rest of the sol system at least.

7,713 Duranium
2,667,134 Corbomite
3,293,451 Tritanium
10,657,568 Mercassium

The most Mercassium I have seen ANYWHERE at all in the 7 systems I have explored so far.

About 2.5 million people live on the planet right now. How do I build a space station to support the population? That's another thing that is not even mentioned in the wiki as far as I can tell.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 10:10:44 AM »
Dump automines and forget it.

Offline icecoldblood

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 10:15:22 AM »
There are 2 things I know about Venus.
1. Its your best hope to save yourself from the mid-game mineral crunch
2. Its a hellhole. The first colonists will burn their lungs from the first breath, and you'll end up with what's effectively a penal colony.
Kinda reminds me of Australia.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:26:49 AM »
Just design a class with an orbital habitat module and build using industry either at Venus or Earth and tow it into place. Each module at a colony adds 50,000 population capacity that does not need infrastructure.

Terraforming Venus is definitely a long term project, it usually takes around 150 years from the game start to be completely terraformed in most games I've run.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:55:13 AM »
Often i get lucky and get the metals for mines and fabrication on venus. With some initial automines and some massdrivers you can go all "von Neuman" on this planet using the output to build new factories and mines en mass. the later you can ship with the help of your civies. You may run in a population crunch with this approach XD.

Also many if not most venustype planets are Goldnuggets littered with Minerals so you might want to look out for them.

if you want to TF something look for Saturns and Jupiters moons. Callisto Ganymed, IO and Europa can be transformed to worlds with 0 costs.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t