Author Topic: Auto refueling?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Varee (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • V
Auto refueling?
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:04:33 AM »
So i need help with tankers. i got a few tanker in my battle fleet as the carrier dont carry enough fuel for both it self and the fighter. but when i order it to travel it keep saying that the task group is out of fuel even if the tanker is still 90% something full. i have to use qualise fuel option? but that take fuel form my fighter too which i dont want, as fighter should just fly out with full tank when needed. the other thing i try is manual transfer but that take lot of work and clicks, it was fine with one carrirer but now i made a few and it is really annoying. the conditional order didnt work also , i guess the less than 40% is when the whole fleet fuel/ whole fleet storage is < 40% not for each ship so is there anyway to automate this?
also i try making the tanker a seperate fleet and let the carrier refuel at tanker when tank <30% but that canceled the current order :(

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Auto refueling?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 08:17:46 AM »
The conditional orders will always cancel existing orders.

How much fuel is on your carrier? The fighters should not be requiring refueling unless they have been on ops.

Offline Varee (OP)

• V
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:58:27 AM »
my carrier only have 1 normal fuel tank due to limited space, i was planning on support ship for tanker as i make quite a large carrier for early game i think, my largest yard is only 12000 ton so that my limit for now

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:30:59 AM »
The task group will display the "out of fuel" message if any ship in it is out of fuel, so that is working as designed.

Have you checked the box in ship design that says "Tanker" for your tanker design?

If yes then you should be able to say "refuel from own tankers" in the orders.  Also the conditional orders to refuel from the nearest tanker should use its own, though I'm not 100% sure of this.

Another option is to detach the tanker and give it orders to refuel the fleet then join.

But there is otherwise no auto refuel function (equilize fuel does it "sort of").  I would say your best bet is to use "move to jump point x", "refuel from own tankers", then continue on.  This way it will have its tanks topped up every jump.

But one standard fuel tank of 50,000 l for a 12,000 ton carrier and its fighters is really far far too little.  My 9000 ton destroyers have 600,000 l of fuel.  Also what happens if someone or something kills your tanker?  That will mission kill your fleet right there.

Offline Varee (OP)

• V
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 09:43:28 AM »
Well my tanker is really important, it carry all the supple ammo and fuel so it is quite well protected. the tanker collier and sppuly hsip is checked. detaching and refueling might be good, i will try that. conditional oreder dont work too well , it cancel other order. the carrier normall dont move much after it enter some place so i think small tank is ok but it is annoying when moving fleet to other jump point, i need tto refeul 2-3 time