Author Topic: Sub fleet  (Read 2647 times)

Offline roug (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • r
Sub fleet
« on: May 11, 2020, 07:06:43 AM »
Hi, i am not sure whats the point of sub fleet?
I have made a Survey Fleet thats under the admin command.
I would like to have both my geo survey ships working independently of each other to cover more ground.
But to me it looks like thats not possible if they are in the same fleet?
The problem is when i click on my Geo sub fleet under survey fleet, and i push the standing order button it just tells me to select a fleet.
Am i missing someting?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Re: Sub fleet
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 07:10:54 AM »
Sub-fleets are a way to organise ships into a more detailed hierarchy. When you detach sub-fleets they keep the name so you easily can reattach them to the proper hierarchy again when you are done.

The "Fleet" are the smallest part you can order around on the map. As you detach a sub-fleet it becomes a fleet in it's own right.

Offline roug (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • r
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 07:36:57 AM »
Ok, so if i want to split them up i need to make each ship there own fleet and move them around. It should be possible to move individual ships in a fleet. 

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 07:53:51 AM »
Ok, so if i want to split them up i need to make each ship there own fleet and move them around. It should be possible to move individual ships in a fleet.

If you select a ship and detach it the ship will form it's own fleet using the ships name... that is the closest you get.

A fleet is just a container where you can have one or even a hundred ships if you like, does it make any difference. Sub-fleets are just an organisational tool.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 04:34:04 AM »
More problematic is that a detached sub fleet (for example fighters) can reattach as a subfleet but you cannot auto-land them by doing that. ATM you have to land them and that puts them into the main fleet but you have to manually recreate the subfleet to organize them again.

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 05:16:00 AM »
More problematic is that a detached sub fleet (for example fighters) can reattach as a subfleet but you cannot auto-land them by doing that. ATM you have to land them and that puts them into the main fleet but you have to manually recreate the subfleet to organize them again.

Added that option for 1.10

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11306.msg132625#msg132625

The following users thanked this post: Jorgen_CAB, SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 05:16:57 AM »
I have an issue with subfleets, when I detach a subfleet from its mother fleet, it creates a fleet. Ok so far.

But how do I attach this fleet again so it reforms a sub fleet? I did not manage that.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 05:19:34 AM »
Hi, i am not sure whats the point of sub fleet?
I have made a Survey Fleet thats under the admin command.
I would like to have both my geo survey ships working independently of each other to cover more ground.
But to me it looks like thats not possible if they are in the same fleet?
The problem is when i click on my Geo sub fleet under survey fleet, and i push the standing order button it just tells me to select a fleet.
Am i missing someting?

In VB6 you would have as many fleets as you want all reporting to a higher one. You would then issue the order to the leader and copy the orders and the standing orders to the subordinates with a click. All your explorers and surveyors would then leave together and once arrived at the destination they would split starting to survey the entire system.

God, I miss these old good times.

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 05:20:04 AM »
I have an issue with subfleets, when I detach a subfleet from its mother fleet, it creates a fleet. Ok so far.

But how do I attach this fleet again so it reforms a sub fleet? I did not manage that.

Use the Join As Sub-Fleet order.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5