Author Topic: Versatile Shipyards  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
Versatile Shipyards
« on: May 19, 2020, 12:15:09 AM »
How do I know that two ship classes will be able to be built in the same shipyard without actually retooling one of them first? I remember I could look somewhere in the design menu to see a drop-down list of all the compatible classes, but I can't find it in C#.

I try to make my cargo-ships and colonizers be built off the same shipyard if I can, and I managed to do it with my very first generation of conventional shuttles (I had to use luxury quarters!). Unfortunately, my current generation of transports are incompatible despite being the same ship of roughly the same tonnage just with the cargo bay swapped out for cryo-bays. And I doubt I'd be able to make tankers off the shipyard...

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
Re: Versatile Shipyards
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 12:41:42 AM »
In VB6 there was a list in one of the class design tabs, but it hasn't been implemented in C#. The Components tab does include how much of the ship's cost is taken up by each component, which you can use to manually calculate things.

As a workaround you can save, SM retool the shipyard in question, check, and then quit without saving to revert.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 12:51:23 AM »
How do I know that two ship classes will be able to be built in the same shipyard without actually retooling one of them first? I remember I could look somewhere in the design menu to see a drop-down list of all the compatible classes, but I can't find it in C#.

I try to make my cargo-ships and colonizers be built off the same shipyard if I can, and I managed to do it with my very first generation of conventional shuttles (I had to use luxury quarters!). Unfortunately, my current generation of transports are incompatible despite being the same ship of roughly the same tonnage just with the cargo bay swapped out for cryo-bays. And I doubt I'd be able to make tankers off the shipyard...

For colony ship and cargo ship, make sure to tool the shipyard for colony ship, if you use same size and same percentage for cargo/cryo it should work.

You can find some info about how this works in this post from Steve: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg117467#msg117467

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 06:03:41 AM »
There are multiple threads on this, there is at least one video on this, and there is a search function.

Size +/- 20%, refit cost <20%. 
si vis pacem, para bellum

The following users thanked this post: Jobran180

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 06:14:45 AM »
Most likely Steve will add the same functionality as you saw in VB6... but he is only one man doing a huge programming project. I'm sure he focus mostly on making the game more feature complete and will come back to more QoL stuff as he finds stuff annoying to handle himself.

Aurora 4x is after all a hobby project... ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:50:00 AM by Jorgen_CAB »