Author Topic: Thread for board issues  (Read 63229 times)

Mythrell_

Re: Thread for board issues
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2016, 02:15:27 PM »
Quote from: Erik Luken link=topic=7798. msg84911#msg84911 date=1452448975
I'm looking at a new host.  It's a VPS solution so the domain would be on it's only little island, unlike now.  Monthly cost will double from $25 to $50.  And of course they want the first year up front.  That will have to wait until next weekend.

I don't know what kind of monthly traffic you're getting here, but you can get 20 TB of monthly traffic on an own physical server with one month cancellation period for 35€ / month (38$ right now) from Hetzner (just an example, I'm sure there are plenty more out there).  I wouldn't take those first year up front deals unless I know the service (and server) is good. 

Of course VPS's should be even a bit cheaper, at least on central european pricing. 

Just felt the urgent need to share my experience, as I've had some bad ones at certain hosts. . .  :)

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2016, 04:17:32 PM »
I don't know what kind of monthly traffic you're getting here, but you can get 20 TB of monthly traffic on an own physical server with one month cancellation period for 35€ / month (38$ right now) from Hetzner (just an example, I'm sure there are plenty more out there).  I wouldn't take those first year up front deals unless I know the service (and server) is good. 

Of course VPS's should be even a bit cheaper, at least on central european pricing. 

Just felt the urgent need to share my experience, as I've had some bad ones at certain hosts. . .  :)

While Steve is in the UK, I am in the US. So I've been looking at US-based hosts. The plan I currently have is considered a "Business Premium" plan, geared towards a small business. One would think that would include enough server resources to handle a couple of downloads and a forum. My current host's Enterprise plan starts at $150/month, and so is out of the question unless I start charging for access to things (which I am very loathe to do for a free game). The VPS I've been looking at is $50/month (which is also the top-end of what I consider reasonable). They say they support the requirements I gave them, and they have a cancellation policy.

Since off-loading the downloads to dropbox, server traffic has dropped from an average of 65.02g/day to 2.62g/day. So maybe that will be enough to even things out.

The following users thanked this post: linkxsc

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2016, 11:21:32 PM »
Six hundred and fifty people a day are downloading aurora?
Edit: the forum is running sweet right now, no errors at my end, and fast page load.
The wiki is slow but running.
Edit: spoke too soon apparently, errors now :(
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 11:31:22 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline AcidWeb

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2016, 07:25:10 AM »
Wrapper hosting currently burn 150-200GB of traffic every day...

But that is not issue for me  ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:26:42 AM by AcidWeb »

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2016, 07:41:48 AM »
It's not really the bandwidth that is the issue, but the associated http requests.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2016, 10:04:21 AM »
A hint for the sudden loadspike: Quill18 a popular LetsPlayer on youtube has an LP out for Aurora and on average 12000-15000 views on his videos that could be why you see so much traffic right now.

Nevermind it was posted some days ago and i didnt notice thanks to the errors.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:08:35 AM by Heph »
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2016, 12:07:09 PM »
Sounds to me like a bad host indeed.  I've been getting the dreaded 403 Forbidden error(including when trying to post the exact text that succeeded minutes earlier :P).  So it looks like I'm going to become an overnight poster in order to try to maintain sanity, if that works.  Can't speak for anyone else but I'm willing to contribute some to the cause to get a smoother forum. 

Offline AcidWeb

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2016, 02:15:37 AM »
Sorry to say this but you really dropped the ball with this migration.

Process that should take 10 minutes (not counting DNS records update) crippled forums for half week and caused pointless week long database rollback.

I hope that you will prepare better next time.

Offline Tatterly

• Leading Rate
  • Through the stars, hardship!
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2016, 04:08:20 AM »
Not to be that gal, nor to minimize your justified feelings, but. . .  It could be worse.  Sure, it should've gone smoother, but unexpected traffic and costs have a way of making even surface-simple operations into complex and painful affairs; to say nothing of real life stressors, of which said unexpected traffic has a way of exacerbating. . .

Way I look at it.  I lost a fairly detailed post getting perhaps to the root of my inability to play this game.  But, hmn, it'll take me maybe ten-twenty minutes tops to recreate it; and it is my own fault for not paying attention to the big, red 'posts beyond the 16th will be lost due to migration' banner.  For those who post frequently I know it'll be more of a pain - but better the minor pain of lost posts then the site going down indefinitely.

Mmn, on a side note, the whole 'famous lets player, kids on my lawn, with their internets and the videos' explains why I was reminded of this by a friend whose most adventurous gaming experience was playing one of the Call of Duties blind.  I'm glad the game gets more exposure!

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2016, 04:28:02 AM »
Erik,

Many thanks for hosting this forum and for looking into the website problems. I hope your efforts are appreciated by the majority of the forum members - I certainly do for without people like yourself there would be no means of either playing or understanding the game.

DavidR

The following users thanked this post: Tatterly

Offline AlqVeers

• Petty Officer
  • Spaceship!
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2016, 04:31:31 AM »
Nice to see the forums back up, aside from confirming all the above errors.  I have little to add except I'll be happy to look at contributing to costs as soon as I get back to work myself.

Otherwise, everything is running quickly for me right now.
I've started talking in my sleep apparently, all that was audible was "Spaceship". Go figure :)

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2016, 09:11:37 AM »
Running much smoother now (actually smoother than Pre-Quill) so GG

Offline Cassaralla

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2016, 09:26:02 AM »
Happy to see the board back up and running.  My thanks to the Admin for sorting through this and solving the problem and letting us 'play on your lawn'.

Offline Tatterly

• Leading Rate
  • Through the stars, hardship!
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2016, 11:02:08 AM »
Regarding the lawn comment, that was just me being silly, I'm not half as funny as I think I am.  ;)  I'm technically new here as well, given that I joined around two years back, haven't seen too many communities that are as friendly and helpful, and certainly hadn't meant to contribute elsewise.  But that's neither here nor there.  Keeping on topic, wanted to add that everything seems quick and responsive.

Bruce Knowles

« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2016, 11:07:07 AM »
Still awaiting email regarding confirmation of my registration etc.  after over half an hour. . .

I suspect this has gone astray on a permanent basis.

Please would you try and resolve this at your earliest convenience.

Have a nice day"""