Author Topic: After the Fall - Armada Española (3)  (Read 6010 times)

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
Re: After the Fall - Armada Española
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »
Perhaps Steve could introduce spanish space pirates and give them a secret pirate base on Pluto.  The game would treat them as Spanish, but he could role-play them as being independent entities with maybe an independent GFTF and an independent shipyard, so that the other powers wouldn't respond to their piracy with war against Spain.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 11:59:37 AM »
Joe, the problem with that is that the program will automatically identify them correctly.  As things stand, "fog of war" is not a game factor. 

We loosely discussed a graduated identification system at a tactical level a few years back.  It will take a modest amount of database changes before it can be coded.  Until Steve thinks it is worth pursuing it's on a backburner.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »
Right, the game will identify them, but Steve's the spacemaster running all the empires.  He can choose to roleplay the other empires reacting to them as if they are unaffiliated space pirates.  As far as I know the only consequence of having Spain as "hostile" is that your PD will automatically fire on their missiles.  But the Spanish aren't missile users.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 01:42:02 PM »
Also the game will run in bloody minute increments as long as something is moving in and out of sensor range.
What would stop any other power from sending a few ships there to beat them up?

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 02:13:12 PM »
Why to assign the to the Spanish? You can create a separate pirate "mini-empire" in alliance with them using SM. Well, interresting idea. :)
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »
That's possible, too.  Doesn't have to be associated with Spain.

I just think it would be really interesting to see how Steve would manage a military based on boarding tactics -- how he'd design the ships, what tactics he'd use, and so forth.  He knows the game better than anyone and he always gives good information in these fiction threads.  If he were to create a pirate faction, he could try out some of these tactics without throwing Spain into a war that will likely destroy them, and that would give us a chance to see the tactics evolve.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 05:31:53 AM »
Well, given that he still occasionally gets bug reports based on really off tactics, I guess there's other people that also exhibit a bit of creativity.
Though boarding tactics are pretty straight forward, I don't think they lend themselves to a low resource approach in Aurora.

Offline symon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 08:47:37 AM »
Perhaps Steve could introduce spanish space pirates and give them a secret pirate base on Pluto.

But it's:

Spanish Galleons. (Hiss!)
English Pirates. (Hoorah!)

Ha Ha! (Bump, bump, bump).
Or something like that IIRC.
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
Bad guys?  Bad for which quality of what/who, exactly?  The sun is bad for my smooth complexion.  In this case, the Spanish are bad for ... ???

Anyway, I like the ship design.  Get close, fast, and hit hard!