Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 350837 times)

Offline professorpicke

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • p
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #975 on: February 01, 2019, 12:51:17 AM »
When moving industry between planets, it can sometimes be more convenient to use the citizen's tab to commission pick ups and drop offs.  The problem is your ships cannot do commissions,  only civilian ships.  Could you add a default order that makes the task group do any available commissions? thanks :)

also, although there is no way you haven't played games like eu4 or hoi4, they are great games to mooch systems off of for say, land combat in case you are looking >. > .  As with everyone else, looking forward to C#!

The following users thanked this post: Agoelia

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #976 on: February 01, 2019, 11:54:11 AM »
Please no, the combat model in HoI4 is terrible for actually simulating warfare. I was a betatester for HoI2, I've sunk hundreds of hours into HoI3 (as well as HoI1 and HoI2) and I followed closely the development of HoI4 and tried it out. The planetary combat system Steve currently has is pretty good for its intended purpose and cloning any of the HoI combat models wouldn't improve it.

e.g. showing that there are 1200 tons of Duranium being harvested annually, but 2500 being used up anually.
But there is no fixed annual consumption. If you add or remove something from the production queues, the projected consumption will change. If you increase industry somewhere, the projected consumption will change. The production queues can take years or decades to finish. Mineral accessibility can change. So the projections would easily fluctuate and need to be recalculated every production cycle. But maybe C# is so much faster than VB6 that the production cycles would still fly past.

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #977 on: February 01, 2019, 02:31:49 PM »
Please no, the combat model in HoI4 is terrible for actually simulating warfare. I was a betatester for HoI2, I've sunk hundreds of hours into HoI3 (as well as HoI1 and HoI2) and I followed closely the development of HoI4 and tried it out. The planetary combat system Steve currently has is pretty good for its intended purpose and cloning any of the HoI combat models wouldn't improve it.

e.g. showing that there are 1200 tons of Duranium being harvested annually, but 2500 being used up anually.
But there is no fixed annual consumption. If you add or remove something from the production queues, the projected consumption will change. If you increase industry somewhere, the projected consumption will change. The production queues can take years or decades to finish. Mineral accessibility can change. So the projections would easily fluctuate and need to be recalculated every production cycle. But maybe C# is so much faster than VB6 that the production cycles would still fly past.

There wouldn't be a performance penalty. Since these are just for user display, you don't need to run these calculations every production cycle - just when you open the production window. Yes, building mines and construction factories will affect the figures, but it's a pretty easy differential equation.

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #978 on: February 01, 2019, 05:30:46 PM »
would it be possible to have civilian troop transports/a way to contract the shipping lines to move troops around various garrisons?

I think the transition of troop bays from military systems to commercial ones should already cover those kind of issues pretty well. After all you won't need to overhaul or maintain your slow, lumbering standard troop transports that move your garrisons around.

Troop bays are already commerical systems in VB6.
The same can be said of any of the other commerical shipping options to do it yourself. I was hoping it to be possible to only have specialized troop transport in the state controlled fleet like assault carriers or other special cases and leave the routine moments to the commercial shipping lines similar to how some members of the community handle movement of facilities or colonization. Jump colony/cargo ships for the state fleet and bulk carriers in the commerical shipping lines.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline Triato

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Jump point to distant stars and star area damage
« Reply #979 on: February 02, 2019, 03:14:26 PM »
A pair of sugestions that don´t need to be added to the incoming C aurora version, but I wanted to share them anyway so I don´t forget them later.

First one is to have some rare jumpoints that lead to distant stars when using the real stars option. This would allow us to have nebulae and black holes when using sol start (altugh with a low probability). That got me thinking that as I understand, the center of the galaxy has a lot more radiation from denselly packed stars, I don´t know how much that is but I´ve heard it prevents life from being posible there. Perhaps it would be enough to damage our transnewtonian ships? maybe after days/months of exposure?, maybe shieds can prevent this?

The next idea is to have a ´´damage zone´´ close to stars, the size would depend on the star type and the closer the higher the damage. Again, maybe shields can regenerate faster than the damage (depending on distance and regen rate of shields).

I don´t know if the ideas presented are plausible/´´realistic´´ enough for aurora, but I belive they can ad to the strategic aspects of the game. As it is, other than populations and jump points, the ´´terrain´´ doesn´t play an important role in aurora, ideas like these could help divesify the gameplay.

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #980 on: February 03, 2019, 11:03:04 AM »
Steve, is it possible to distinguish between search sensors and targeting sensors (fire control)? It would require that each type of sensors be activated individually. search sensors would be relatively non-threating. However should the opposing vessel start using its fire control to target your vessel it would be a definite threat indicating you should take it seriously. This action may or may not result in incoming fire depending on the other sides aggression rating and the sensitivity of the area of space you are in. Detection of the type of sensor being used would depend on the sensitivity of the EM sensor installed and distance to target.

This would enable the sort of scenario seen in the Channel 5 documentary on HMS Duncan in the Black Sea (episode 2, available on My5)) when several Su-27 aircraft flew close to Duncan, using their search radars but not the target acquisition radar. https://www.my5.tv/warship-life-at-sea/season-1/episode-2
IanD

The following users thanked this post: papent, Barkhorn

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #981 on: February 03, 2019, 05:10:52 PM »
With low gravity infrastructure, perhaps now theres a reason to take another look at facilities which don't require population, CMCs in particular perhaps should also have a civilian population and LG infrastructure attached to them (or regular infrastructure if its a normal world), perhaps CMC's only use automated mines though? I might assume that CMCs have a decent level of automation, perhaps only having a quarter the population as the equivalent amount of mines (mostly so the player doesn't get too much free infrastructure) and if the body has too much colony cost (like venus) just assume the whole facility is automated, or give it a placeholder population of 10,000 with no addition as the facility expands.
Also of note is deep space tracking facilities which I imagine should require a significant population, refuelling, ornance transfer and cargo shuttle stations I also suspect should require a population.
Theres others like Military Academy, Naval headquarters and Sector command which are fine as I guess they're only of use in an inhabited colony anyway.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #982 on: February 04, 2019, 01:07:14 AM »
In general I agree that perhaps the time has come to do away with automines?

Sure its realistic, but so is auto-everything.  Its frankly kindof fun to have a population associated with your labor in a sci fi universe, and maybe extraction of smaller deposits could be taken over by large mining ships instead?

Offline The Forbidden

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #983 on: February 04, 2019, 01:14:06 AM »
In general I agree that perhaps the time has come to do away with automines?

Sure its realistic, but so is auto-everything.  Its frankly kindof fun to have a population associated with your labor in a sci fi universe, and maybe extraction of smaller deposits could be taken over by large mining ships instead?

Personally I'd prefer keeping the automines, if only to mine high gravity bodies. Plus I really don't want to have to deal with a ton of micro populated colonies everywhere and having to juggle their population around to keep mining those moons.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:17:34 AM by The Forbidden »

The following users thanked this post: Happerry, papent

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #984 on: February 04, 2019, 02:40:50 AM »
I always RP to myself that automines actually do have a small population associated with them to perform maintenance and such. So doing away with them would be okay but how about changing them instead? have them still cost the same or maybe a bit more, but require something like 1/10 or 1/100 the population(I forget what the original numbers are and refuse to go look them up) maybe they even come with built in infrastructure to house their workers. So you get the choice between cheap mines that need a lot of people, or expensive ones that don't but support the people they need.

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #985 on: February 04, 2019, 02:53:11 AM »
i also RP and imagine that DST, CMC, and automines have small number of personnel associated with them something in the range of 25~80 people, well below the scale of a population center. like a DEW radar station for DSTs and an oil rig like setup for the mines.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #986 on: February 04, 2019, 03:31:04 AM »
i also RP and imagine that DST, CMC, and automines have small number of personnel associated with them something in the range of 25~80 people, well below the scale of a population center. like a DEW radar station for DSTs and an oil rig like setup for the mines.

Yes, this is my assumption as well.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg110522#msg110522

Offline The Forbidden

• T
« Reply #987 on: February 04, 2019, 06:08:50 AM »

Yes, this is my assumption as well.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg110522#msg110522

Thanks, oh, and by the way you should update that post with the new workers requirements for shipyards.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #988 on: February 04, 2019, 06:50:39 AM »
Thanks, oh, and by the way you should update that post with the new workers requirements for shipyards.

Yes, good point. I will sort that.

Offline The Forbidden

• T
« Reply #989 on: February 04, 2019, 09:46:07 AM »

Yes, good point. I will sort that.

If this goes on you're going to end up spending more time correcting previous statements than actually implementing new features XD.