Author Topic: So, I accidentally overwrote some files while installing...  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Renofox (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
I successfully installed the game, but when it asked whether to overwrite some files in the system folders, I clicked no on the first two before noticing that it was asking whether to keep the old files, not whether to overwrite them.

What are the files the installer tries to overwrite? If I found their names I could change them back to their newer versions.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: So, I accidentally overwrote some files while installing...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 04:52:18 AM »
I successfully installed the game, but when it asked whether to overwrite some files in the system folders, I clicked no on the first two before noticing that it was asking whether to keep the old files, not whether to overwrite them.

What are the files the installer tries to overwrite? If I found their names I could change them back to their newer versions.

Open up setup.lst in a text editor. It lists all of the files installed by the installer. I don't recall the exact format, but it shows the compressed name list aurora.ex_ and the uncompressed name (aurora.exe). Search the uncompressed names ;)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 09:23:39 AM »
I think you can run 'sfc' within a cmd prompt that certifies all the dll and registry entries in your windows install are the correct version. Takes a while to run from what I can remember, but it might be another way to check.

Offline Victuz

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 08:43:24 PM »
That reminds me when I installed it some time ago I also didn't notice that it's asking if I want to keep the files and I've answered no to all...
Interestingly enough nothing was wrong. Apart from the fact that after opening aurora the tap at the top of windows (file, view etc.) was in windows classic style.
But if it damaged something else I can't say because I upgraded to 7 shortly after :p