Author Topic: OoB, Promotions, and Postings  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
OoB, Promotions, and Postings
« on: May 07, 2016, 12:41:20 AM »
I love in depth OoBs ever since HoI III introduced me to the concept, so i was happy to see that in this game you cannot only make one but make a totally custom chain of command However, i am wondering how long you can make the chain.  Can I, for instance, make it so I have a supreme command staff command multiple sector command staffs which command their multiple system command staffs.  Can I then compose a battle fleet with a subordinate carrier group who in turn has a subordinate cruiser division? Can I then make terrestrial armies a part of this continuous chain?

And on a bit more mundane a note, how are characters promoted with political considerations activated? Can I influence it at all? Is there a way to make sure the most skilled scientists are always at the top of the chain so they have access to the most laboratory's without me having to micro-manage them. 

And finally, can I make it so that commanders and captains are automatically assigned to ships with a certain tonnage/HS and commandors and up not being assigned to individual ships at all?

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
Re: OoB, Promotions, and Postings
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 05:10:05 AM »

And on a bit more mundane a note, how are characters promoted with political considerations activated? Can I influence it at all? Is there a way to make sure the most skilled scientists are always at the top of the chain so they have access to the most laboratory's without me having to micro-manage them. 

Ahahahahah.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 06:03:37 AM »
I love in depth OoBs ever since HoI III introduced me to the concept, so i was happy to see that in this game you cannot only make one but make a totally custom chain of command However, i am wondering how long you can make the chain.  Can I, for instance, make it so I have a supreme command staff command multiple sector command staffs which command their multiple system command staffs.  Can I then compose a battle fleet with a subordinate carrier group who in turn has a subordinate cruiser division? Can I then make terrestrial armies a part of this continuous chain?
No, sadly not. This is a feature I would also like to see, because right now you have so many Admirals later on, but they cannot really have a hierarchy between each other. I set up virtual lists for sector and system fleets in excel, and then even had "fleets" for just detachable task forces of an actual named fleet, so they can have staff too. ...But it is all in my head, and in Aurora you just get the task force window where all the fleets are equal in their command chain.
The best way to actually kind of do it was bringing the hierarchy into the "naval organization" tab of the task force window, and then make sure that the commanding ships of each detachable section/ or subordinate-fleet have micromanaged a commanding admiral to them. (if you detach them then, at least this Admiral will be in charge. He won't contribute much beyond his initiative rating though)
However, this means there is no staff for the subordinates still, so this is still severely lacking.

There might be some hope, because Steve is in an WH40k campaign itself. He already promised to introduce WH40k'y features like real particle lances, titans, and a crusade mode game option; and since more sophisticated command chains of Segment-/Sector-/Sub-Sector- and Battlefleet and such are characterizing in that setting, this might find entry too soon(ish).

Only by turning political reliability off. The level that administrators or scientists have is more like another skill here though, since it directly influences how many labs or what size of colony they can control, meaning you always profit from them getting better.(note: these also don't block other people's promotion by getting "promoted", so there is really no harm)
In army and navy you might find manipulators rising high, but that is exactly what the political reliability thing is meant to simulate. Send them to the front if you really despise them. ;)

And finally, can I make it so that commanders and captains are automatically assigned to ships with a certain tonnage/HS and commandors and up not being assigned to individual ships at all?
In the class design window there is a DAC/Rank/Info tab in which you can specify minimum rank requirement to get a command on a certain ship type. However, this doesn't work backwards, so sometimes you see captains and even admirals being assigned to fighters. :) It seems to be much more rare on modern Aurora however, and the sorting of assignments seems to make sense most of the time. (now, if we could also specify requirements to join a certain staff too, I would rejoice)
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 11:23:13 PM »
On the 40k note, it could also be made that you can make as many different echelons of sectors as you want, so you can have sub sectors and sub-sub-sectors and sub-sub-sub sectors and...

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:37:15 PM »
Alright, so I actually tried to fiddle with the naval organization tab myself and all I accomplished was accidentally deleting one of my cruiser divisions. I really don't understand what this tab is even for, as it doesn't let me make TG's subordinate to the staff headquarter only the ships of those TG's subordinate. I can make sub-branches but I don't think they effect the game at all and I still have to control ships via their TG's. I also see what you mean about task forces not being able to have subordinate task forces. I get the feeling that this tab is simply to help the player organize things and does not have any immediate gameply benefits.

Also, there really needs to be a way to restrict senior officers, flag officers especially, from taking command of individual ships. Should be able to set the lowest AND highest rank that can be in command. Auto-assign should also make sure that an officer of equal or higher rank is not subordinate to officers of lower ones. This would make it easier to rely on the game to make decision for you, because you can have a group of destroyers you set to only accept captains led by a special destroyer lead ship you set to only accept commandores.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:47:03 PM by BasileusMaximos »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 02:10:10 PM »
I get the feeling that this tab is simply to help the player organize things and does not have any immediate gameply benefits.
Yes, this is correct. There is no gameplay bonus for using the Naval Organization Tab. It is meant solely to help the player utilize different formations as the situation demands.

While a ship can only be in one position in the organization chart, you can form TGs out of any part of it. This means that you can create an umbrella "Alpha Fleet" TG when you just want to order all the ships to move together to some point, then you can have subordinate TGs "Alpha JP Assault" and "Alpha Supply Group" and "Alpha Missile Group" for different functions. Meaning you can fairly easily and quickly form different TGs and still go back to previous formations.

This becomes REALLY useful with carrier operations and can be useful for survey missions as well.

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 09:08:31 PM »
And can you assign a leader to lead the collective "Alpha Fleet" or no?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 09:40:55 PM »
Not separately. Each ship has a captain, you cannot have an officer commanding them all separate from the ships. Unless you include a ship with a Flag Bridge and create a new TF which you then assign to that ship. Or you can make a cheap PDC on Earth, name it "Alpha Fleet Commander" and assign an officer to lead that, if you want. Some players simulate higher echelons of the command structure that way. For example. in my current game the Pan-Oceanic Treaty Organization military has a supreme commander, an Admiral, and then four Commands chaired by Vice and Rear Admirals, the Planetary Defence Command, the Orbital Defence Command, the Survey Command and the Logistics Command. So I built four tiny PDCs, named them after these commands and assigned my admirals on them. That way they can command experience, the game sees them as active and does not retire them, and I don't accidentally assign them to do something else.

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »
I can see how that can work. What's really bugging me though is how I can't set a maximum rank for who gets put in command of a ship as well as I can the minimum rank. Having three rear admiral in a single task group in simply destroyers is no good.