Author Topic: How to make Colony's?  (Read 3418 times)

Offline tom32 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • t
How to make Colony's?
« on: October 13, 2011, 10:02:05 PM »
I wish to know how to make colony's, I have looked, and have not found ANYTHING about it.  I used search and everything.
So, Anyone who helps, I thank you   ;)

-Tom32

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
Re: How to make Colony's?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 10:13:21 PM »
As usual, there are several different ways.

You could open the System Generation and Display window (the yellow "sun" icon near the middle of the top row of buttons), click on the particular body (planet, moon, asteroid, whatever) where you want to start the colony, and click the "Add Colony" button near the bottom center of the window.

Or you could click on the body on the "All Bodies" page of the left side-baar, then zoom in close with the + button, right-click on the body and "Add Colony".

Or you could just use a Freighter to send a load of Infrastructure there on the Fleet Ordewrs window. The colony will be created automatically.

Is that what you meant?

Offline tom32 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • t
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 10:14:55 PM »
Yes, it was, I have now created one, many thanks.   ;D

-Tom32

Offline Herode

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 06:50:22 AM »
And you also can open the System Map (F3), right click on the body you want to colonize and choose the 'create a colony on XXX' menu.

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:36:52 AM »
Coincidentally, I have trouble NOT making colonies!  Ever little action and it's making colonies automatically D:  Especially when getting multiple species via gene modding, colonies get a bit messy.

Offline zazu

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • z
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 10:24:03 PM »
I can't seem to rightclick on any planet or body?

--Wow nevermind, got it. 

It was kinda late so I didn't notice the message changed.   heh--

New problem: I can't seem to build anything on the colony, I tried to build infrastructure, construction facilities and terraforming facilities but none of them start off.  I must be missing something huge :s
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:37:42 PM by zazu »

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:08:31 PM »
In order to build anything on a colony you have to have a few prerequisites:

Something to build them with (either Engineering Brigades or Construction Facilities)

The Resources to build them from (Duranium etc)

If you're using construction Facilities then you also need the people to do the building (Engineering Brigades & Automines dont need additional people)

In most cases most people ship in the initial load of Construction facilities, Mines, resources etc (usually in chunks of between 100-1000) from the homeworld using Freighters & continue on from there - trying to bootstrap a colony from scratch is an excercise in futility.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline zazu

• z
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »
Thanks for the answers!

I got some more questions if you don't mind~

Basically I've been trying to terraform Mars, i've gained about 0. 100 atmosphere so I guess i'm heading into the right direction but who knows what'll happen.

I managed to load 300 infrastructure from Earth to Mars by freighter companies with the supply/demand contracts, now I want some colonists to move, how can I 'make' them go to Mars?

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 04:05:06 PM »
Thanks for the answers!

I got some more questions if you don't mind~

Basically I've been trying to terraform Mars, i've gained about 0. 100 atmosphere so I guess i'm heading into the right direction but who knows what'll happen.

I managed to load 300 infrastructure from Earth to Mars by freighter companies with the supply/demand contracts, now I want some colonists to move, how can I 'make' them go to Mars?

Design a ship with Cryostasis chambers, then you can build those and move people around with the "Load Colonist" and "Unload Colonist" commands. If those cryostasis ships are Commercial Ships then eventually your shipping lines will start building them as well, and they will start automatically taking people from colonies that are defined as "Source of Colonists" to colonies which are defined "Destination of Colonists". You can choose which colonies are which by going to their Civ/Ind tabs in the Population/Production window.

Offline zazu

• z
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 04:11:19 PM »
Thanks!

Whenever someone explains me something about this game it usually strikes me as logical but I can't think about it myself!

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 04:14:44 PM »
It's certainly possible to mount a vigorous colonization campaign without ever building any colony ships of your own... just by designing suitable ships for the civilian companies to build and use. On the other hand, building a few of your own (as Naval Auxilliaries) gives you a certain flexibility that is lacking if you rely on the civilian companies for everything.