Author Topic: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 107594 times)

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 04:38:25 PM »
In practice right now you have no clue who "owns" a system either, so....

Not until you run into a colony or fleet ;)

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 04:46:31 PM »
Exactly. I kind of like it that way myself. Really, until you would establish a diplomatic relation with that race you wouldn't know what any of their borders were. Such is the vastness of space that you might have been cross-crossing several of their systems that they claim as their own but you two never saw each other so you didn't know.

Adds an interesting dynamic in my opinion. I certainly understand your point though, for me personally I like the fog of war concept applied here.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 04:52:43 PM »
Exactly. I kind of like it that way myself. Really, until you would establish a diplomatic relation with that race you wouldn't know what any of their borders were. Such is the vastness of space that you might have been cross-crossing several of their systems that they claim as their own but you two never saw each other so you didn't know.

Adds an interesting dynamic in my opinion. I certainly understand your point though, for me personally I like the fog of war concept applied here.

The optimal solution in my opinion is having the AI NPRs (not spoilers) abiding by demarcations of borders. Obviously this means some sort of treaty must be in place (Non-Agression or higher). Any sort of trade treaty would allow civilian ships, while military type treaties will allow military ships access.

Of course, if relations deteriorate to the point of war, borders might(will) shift.

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 03:40:14 AM »
The simplest solution might be the best. Just let players/NPRs mark systems as theirs on the galactic map. (auto mark with colony) Have these transmitted once communications are open.

In the meantime, current mechanics are plenty good enough. You CAN put probes on the outer jump points of your territory. (I suggest doing so anyway) You can get less subtle by using cheap attack fighters, or minefields.

The problem isn't that we really need a new mechanic. The problem is that the AI doesn't understand such concepts as diplomacy or 'get out of my territory'. Perhaps the AI should be made to leave systems claimed by others, depending on some value and current relations? In the strategic intelligence window there's already a list of 'known systems'. Leverage that? Make the AI generally understand warning shots? (with potential to go hilariously wrong?) Or powering up active sensors/shields as a warning? Or just the concept of having a ship stationed at a border?

Come to think of it, these NPRs are, in fact, alien. Perhaps them not understanding such things makes sense.

I suggest that anything like cultural bounds is going to feel FAR too gamey when applied to a game with a human controlling the races.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 04:01:51 AM »
Borders are a good idea but given i just roll over all aliens with invasion fleets its moot for my games that said let em claim their space a valid reason for war.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 06:05:05 AM »
Nightstar, one of your ideas you mentioned is a simplified version of what I proposed: a control counter based on the type and size of your presence in a system.  I agree that hard borders would be gamey.  Hence the use of a counter based on presence. As you grow or the bulk of your fleet conducts operations on a specific front your perceived ownership and control of an area would grow with use. Thus, your borders would ebb and flow. You would need to be vigilant in patrolling your sphere of influence so opposing races don't erode your territory.

This would not affect conquest in any way aside from knowing that an alien cruising through a system that they know you control are, in fact, hostile. The friendly aliens would stay away from your core systems to keep from hurting your diplomacy level.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 12:04:51 AM »
On the production and population screen where terraforming is active is it possible to put a T next to the planet name

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 06:42:49 AM »
I just had a new epiphany: tactical sorium harvesters and refineries.

Very small, rather slow, not practical for anything but implementation on deep space explorers.  It would need to be of a scale that wouldn't be suitable for much aside from self-refueling geo and grav survey ships.  I don't think it would be realistic that such a vessel would be capable of providing fuel services for a military fleet aside from an extreme emergency.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »
Those ships are actually supposed to be limited by having to refuel.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 11:28:28 AM »
Well, my thought was that it would be a very inefficient design to limit usage.  You could make it be a military class for enabling maintenance and that would necessitate a very unique design to overcome maintenance supplies and failures for extremely long duration tours.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »
I just had a new epiphany: tactical sorium harvesters and refineries.

Very small, rather slow, not practical for anything but implementation on deep space explorers.  It would need to be of a scale that wouldn't be suitable for much aside from self-refueling geo and grav survey ships.  I don't think it would be realistic that such a vessel would be capable of providing fuel services for a military fleet aside from an extreme emergency.

Maybe something like a ramscoop. Orbit a gas giant, and refuel. To go with that though, I'd say you'd need to have special engine that can handle the raw sorium, or they'd need a real inefficient converter (50x or 100x) to make them only useful for specialized ships.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 01:58:22 PM »
Would make an interesting option for nebulae systems.

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 03:59:44 AM »
I don't know if it was proposed yet, but i have an idea about the expansion of missile defence options.
I'm talking about countermeasures. Well, we have ECM, like the modern fighters do, but what about decoy missiles or buoys?

When you have some thermal or EM homing missiles inbound it would be a far cheaper option to launch some flares or chaff or something like that.

We have two ways to do this:

We could do this by designing a special buoy consisting of fuel only, and when it will be launched it detonates near the ship blinding the IR seeker of the thermal missiles.
If we have some EM missiles inbound we could launch a buoy with active sensors only. Their emissions should be higher than the active sensor emissions of the ship to work.

2. Or we could do this by installing a dedicated countermeasures dispenser to the ship that would launch these countermeasures automatically - just like CIWS.

We could beat the normal FC controlled missiles in the same manner with chaff like the modern jets do.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline Texashawk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 11:07:18 AM »
I'm sure this has been proposed, but I couldn't find it in search.

Would anyone find it helpful to be able to add short notes about custom research designs (i.e. engines, sensors, etc) as an additional field when designing a new research project, and then have the notes show up in the summary box below everything else? I find that I pack a lot of 'code info' into my design names, and it gets cumbersome towards the end of a game. Having some 'sticky notes' on each component would be super handy to me when I'm trying to figure out what I meant to accomplish with a certain missile design or engine design after some time off playing the game. I would think that something like this would be trivial as a programmer to add - it's just a simple text box control and a text field added to the design database, but only Steve knows for sure...

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 06:24:26 PM »
Get hyperdrives working properly esp for extra large systems