Author Topic: It's my Bridge in a Box...  (Read 1602 times)

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
It's my Bridge in a Box...
« on: May 28, 2020, 01:19:24 AM »
Bridge in a Box
Code: [Select]
Bridge in a Box class Unknown      500 tons       29 Crew       150.4 BP       TCS 10    TH 1    EM 0
60 km/s      Armour 1-5       Shields 0-0       HTK 4      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 0
Maint Life 11.76 Years     MSP 174    AFR 4%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 2    5YR 35    Max Repair 125 MSP
Captain    Control Rating 1   FLG   
Intended Deployment Time: 2 months    Morale Check Required   

Conventional Engine  EP0.60 (1)    Power 0.6    Fuel Use 408.25%    Signature 0.60    Explosion 10%
Fuel Capacity 4,000 Litres    Range 0.4 billion km (68 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction
*Tribbles not included.

- The "Flag Bridge in a Box" was popular in VB6, so I made one in C#. This design is more of a template than a viable version in it's own right. It's definitely functional, but probably not too terribly practical. I wouldn't know, I never used them. This particular one was built with the absolute bare minimum of tech possible to make a functional 500 Ton model. In this case it's Conventional Composite Armor, Trans-Newtonian Technology and Flag Bridge from a Conventional start; a little over 8,000 RPs. This particular flavor doubles as a life boat, with 69 days of supply, 68 days of fuel, and a meager 60 km/s to help it get a little closer to help on it's own power. Feel free to use it, modify it and so on, this is more of just a "We had these in VB6, well here it is in C#" than a "Hey, look at the pride of my fleet guys!" :P
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:29:54 AM by xenoscepter »

The following users thanked this post: Ehndras

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
Re: It's my Bridge in a Box...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 09:42:08 PM »
but... why?
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 10:33:29 PM »
but... why?
Why not?

The advantage of these is that you can build one using fighter factories, park it on a carrier, and then never need to worry about it again.  For one-off and rare things like this the shipyard savings can be substantial.

I'd say this one is overbuilt. 200 tonnes would be about right.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 02:02:56 AM »
Negative, Flag Bridge is 250 Tons IIRC. It is overbuilt though.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 10:51:08 AM »
Negative, Flag Bridge is 250 Tons IIRC. It is overbuilt though.
You recall correctly.  For some reason I was thinking it was 150.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 02:29:29 PM »
In VB6, I built Flag Bridge Pods for my survey support carriers.  My survey fleets were 4-6 grav survey boats, and a variable number of geo survey craft depending on the number of rocks in the system.  One Survey Commander with a }+50% bonus in the task force survey officer slot was an efficient way of boosting survey performance.

Because the flag bridge is in the hangar all the time, it doesn't accumulate maintenance time.  So when a survey support carrier has to be withdraw to be overhauled, the pod only needs crew time.  It can therefore go back out sooner, on another support carrier.

If you are into a silly amount of minimaxing. ;)

The support carrier doesn't carry the survey craft, it carries the scouts, probe pinnaces, and jump point surveillance satellites that are emplaced as the survey progresses.  It can also repair a survey boat, although a survey boat that loses its survey sensor might just get scrapped rather than repaired.

Survey support carriers can also double as patrol carriers, because of their long endurance they can provide surveillance of a system or jump point for a long time.

The following users thanked this post: Warer