Author Topic: OK..who dropped my orbital refinery in the sun...  (Read 1599 times)

Offline plasticpanzers (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • p
OK..who dropped my orbital refinery in the sun...
« on: January 07, 2016, 07:02:29 AM »
I had built 15 Standard Oil "Titanic" class orbital refineries and tractored them over several years to Jupiter then suddenly
they were all gone (and I had been hauling their fuel to Earth for years just fine).  I had figured I did the big crabapple and
accidentally deleted their TF but I did not.   I had just finished another and moved it out to Jupiter to replace the missing
kids and as soon as my tugs returned to Earth there was the refinery orbiting the sun and before I could get the tugs there
it went pffft and vaporized i guess and no I did not move it there.   I had zoomed into Jupiter and had carefully placed it there.
I wonder if this counts as a bug?? :P

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: OK..who dropped my orbital refinery in the sun...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 10:04:43 AM »
Sounds like a bug, I would suggest uploading a save but the forums probably too unstable right now.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 10:05:34 AM »
Yes, this is indeed something that happens to orbitals that only have speed 1km/s occasionally. I once lost a fully loaded fighter training hangar base (no fuel loss when inside immovable base) this way. Well, actually it didn't vaporize, but it randomly teleported into the sun, and I could draw it out with a freighter, but some years later it happened again... .

The solution to this is to include at least one single tiny engine on your orbitals, so their speed equals to something larger than 1km/s, and then the error will never appear anymore. Doing this costs you nothing still, and it is well explainable to have some "maneuver jets". (maybe to protect exactly against slowly falling into the sun after tiny accumulating orbit destabilizations? :P)

It is neat anyway for fuel bases specifically to have some speed of maybe 10 km/s or so, which enables them to fly to the closest moon of their gas giant, so they can unload their fuel there, and tankers can make their own schedule while your log stays free of the "harvester over 90% full" spam that occurs otherwise.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 08:35:52 PM »
Did anyone ever log this one as a bug?  I don't remember seeing it go by....

John

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 01:58:14 AM »
I might have, but I don't remember too, because if, then it was nearly a year ago when I found how to avoid it. I would have to log it in 6.3 now, because I don't know if it really still happens.
The randomness makes it hard to reproduce, yet it only seemed to happen sometimes once said orbitals were given an order to move despite their 1 km/s.

If Plastikpanzers can confirm that this is happening in 7.1, then he or I can log that.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy