Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 350323 times)

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #240 on: May 20, 2018, 06:41:10 PM »
Some current event log notifications are all or nothing, i. e.  You hear about officers, administrators, and scientists dying/worsening in health, but most of the time they're just some random person you don't care about.  What if you could set certain positions as having high priority notifications so that you can know about the positions you actually care about, i. e.  "Your administrator for the position of Sector Commander of Earth Sector has just died. "
Seconded. I can't even count the number times I've been confused by my ships not raising their Task Force Training until I find out my TF Commander died a year ago and I've been wasting fuel the whole time.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #241 on: May 21, 2018, 04:24:45 AM »
Following up on what has been posted in the last two posts.
In the officers assignment screen, civilian sector, I would love it if we could sort the colonies by function.

Once you're 25 years in game and you have 30-40 or more between planets, mining colonies and listening posts it's a big mess.

It would be super helpful to be able to choose what to show, much like what happens with military ships. That way, I can chose to see inhabited colonies, or civilian mining colonies/automine colonies, or similar.  And assigning civilian leaders becomes a lot easier and more streamlined.
The "classes" of colonies could be the same that you can see in the "population" screen when you sort by function.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline Rabid_Cog

• Commander
« Reply #242 on: May 21, 2018, 05:25:04 AM »
Or it could just be an assigned function just like the ship classes. Keeps things nice and simple and similar to an existing system.
I have my own subforum now!
Shameless plug for my own Aurora story game:
5.6 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4988.0.html
6.2 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5906.0.html

Feel free to post comments!
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5452.0.html

The following users thanked this post: papent, Kelewan

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #243 on: May 21, 2018, 12:13:41 PM »
Thanks. That way it works.
Does that "fire missile once you're at that location" make any sense? In what circumstance can that be senseful?

It is useful for dropping sensor buoys or mines.

I should think this could stand re-naming to avoid confusion. I always considered it to be 'launch missiles with this as your target' and simply never thought of it as anything else because I was dropping mines and buoys anyway and they naturally wouldn't move. But were I to try drones or probes, I'd probably follow the same workflow and be surprised.

I'd suggest "Launch missiles from" or even just 'Launch missiles' since you have to choose the location already to get this prompt.

In fact, I'd suggest having both - 'Launch missiles' would just act as it does now, while 'launch missiles from' would pull up a sub-menu that allows you to choose whch launcher and missile you want to use.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #244 on: May 21, 2018, 04:48:40 PM »
I should think this could stand re-naming to avoid confusion.  <snip>

In fact, I'd suggest having both - 'Launch missiles' would just act as it does now, while 'launch missiles from' would pull up a sub-menu that allows you to choose whch launcher and missile you want to use.

How about "Move to & then Launch" ?

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #245 on: May 21, 2018, 06:44:48 PM »
Sure, that could work. Though I like having 'launch' be the first word, because it doesn't overlap with any of the other order possibilities. I could see myself accidentaly clicking or not reading too closely on "Move to and then launch" instead of "Move to" or vice versa.

Offline the obelisk

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #246 on: May 22, 2018, 07:30:15 PM »
Reposting this general idea from the jump gate thread

Given that stations seem like they're going to be significantly more important in Aurora C#, I'd like it if we could build/repair/overhaul stations in space using specialized ships (using minerals and prefabbed parts in the same way shipyards do, of course).  The components used for that would also allow us to basically give developed stations shipyard capabilities.

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #247 on: May 22, 2018, 08:20:42 PM »
My last C# suggestion is that we all stop posting C# suggestions so Steve's to-do list stops growing.

Hopefully I made at least one of you chuckle.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, Kytuzian, chokuto, the obelisk

Offline DocSpit

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #248 on: May 23, 2018, 02:16:44 AM »
I've spent about 6 hours trying to find where this might have been brought up/discussed, and I haven't managed to; so HOPEFULLY it's a new thing (or I'm blind.   Very possible 8))

ANYWAY!

I am so far LOVING the new way that stations will be implemented, and their viability as forward support locations and fleet support installations in deep space.   Brilliant!

I also recognize that morale for commercial bases and ships is being effectively removed, as it has never actually done anything to degrade performance anyway.   Though I'd be lying if I said it never bothered me seeing those numbers at zero (those poor, bored, harvesting crews!).   However, what I haven't seen is how the morale of MILITARY stations might be addressed?

There's never been a way to actually 'rotate crews' in Aurora, and that's pretty much torpedoed the real possibility of building stationary defense bases to look after jump points (at least, not ones that weren't prohibitively huge and expensive anyway).   This is why mine fields are generally opted for, I feel.   However, I know that I'd much rather use a few genuine space-based forts hovering on a jump point that are more than just a one-and-done line of defense!

I feel that one change being introduced into C# might afford a perfect opportunity to address the issue of military base morale.   Since the lore of the game is being altered to make shuttles the means by which goods and personnel is transported between orbit and the surface of a planet, I'm wondering if either of these solutions is feasible:

1) a station equipped with a shuttle bay, in a system with an appropriate colony world or recreation module-equipped station, would not be subject to morale degradation, denoting the ability of said station to send its crew out on regular leave rotations; or:

2) abstract this by a little by allowing a player to opt for such stations to have a higher annual mineral upkeep in order to represent the associated cost in money and material of using (invisible) commercial shuttles to rotate out crews.

Either case should probably also require that such stations have a higher than normal crew requirement, as both the on-station personnel and those currently on shore leave would be unavailable for assignment on new construction.

Not sure how much other players would want a system like this, or how hard it would be to code; I just know it's something that has always frustrated me a little that I couldn't do, so I figured I'd post it here!

LOVING the game, btw!
"I find it a great comfort that the Universe is NOT fair.  Imagine if it were and all the bad things that happened to you really WERE your fault. . . "

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline Renwa

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • R
« Reply #249 on: May 23, 2018, 05:00:49 AM »
Just a small request.

I would love the ability in the task group window, to able to write notes to specific task groups

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2018, 09:32:45 AM »
<snip>
1) a station equipped with a shuttle bay, in a system with an appropriate colony world or recreation module-equipped station, would not be subject to morale degradation, denoting the ability of said station to send its crew out on regular leave rotations; or:

2) abstract this by a little by allowing a player to opt for such stations to have a higher annual mineral upkeep in order to represent the associated cost in money and material of using (invisible) commercial shuttles to rotate out crews.

Either case should probably also require that such stations have a higher than normal crew requirement, as both the on-station personnel and those currently on shore leave would be unavailable for assignment on new construction.

Not sure how much other players would want a system like this, or how hard it would be to code; I just know it's something that has always frustrated me a little that I couldn't do, so I figured I'd post it here!
I agree that morale limits the long term usefulness of smaller military stations. I like your abstract option 2, but maybe both stations and ships should have a "rotate crew" option that freezes morale in appropriate systems. It could consume MSP and also reduce crew effectiveness (to represent the fact that your key personnel might be off the ship). So you'd have to make a hard decision about whether you cancel shore-leave as a conflict looms. 

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue, DocSpit

Offline the obelisk

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #251 on: May 23, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »
-snip-
However, what I haven't seen is how the morale of MILITARY stations might be addressed?

There's never been a way to actually 'rotate crews' in Aurora, and that's pretty much torpedoed the real possibility of building stationary defense bases to look after jump points (at least, not ones that weren't prohibitively huge and expensive anyway).
-snip-
Isn't this what recreational modules are for?

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #252 on: May 23, 2018, 01:59:34 PM »
-snip-
However, what I haven't seen is how the morale of MILITARY stations might be addressed?

There's never been a way to actually 'rotate crews' in Aurora, and that's pretty much torpedoed the real possibility of building stationary defense bases to look after jump points (at least, not ones that weren't prohibitively huge and expensive anyway).
-snip-
Sort of, but they are very big. I think it should be possible to maintain a, say, 60kt defense station indefinitely. That's not very viable if you need to add a 100kt recreational module.

Offline the obelisk

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #253 on: May 23, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »
Sort of, but they are very big. I think it should be possible to maintain a, say, 60kt defense station indefinitely. That's not very viable if you need to add a 100kt recreational module.
You could build ships with recreational modules, and have them tour your stations.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #254 on: May 23, 2018, 05:06:43 PM »
Which basically means you've got a 100kT+ ship moving around your defense perimeter being a target. There's a reason you don't do that in real life and instead shuffle personnel around.