Author Topic: United Nations Thread  (Read 20114 times)

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
Re: United Nations Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2016, 09:45:20 AM »
The FSA wishes to inquire if there is a wish for the FSA, EU, RUS, and NAU to have a security council meeting to discuss the Red Duncanite threat.   
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline DaMachinator

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2016, 03:22:49 PM »
Quote from: Gaius Julius Machinatus
As the appointed representative for any security council meetings concerning the Red Duncanite threat, the Russian Confederation is interested in such a meeting.
 - Gaius Julius Machinatus
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2016, 05:43:28 AM »
We are willing to discuss it, even though it's not clear how much of a threat they are.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2016, 01:51:45 PM »
Treaty on Establishing Elusive Economic Zones on worlds.

To establish the orderly and peaceful use of materials in space, Nations are able to declare a EEZ on some worlds

Worlds excluded from being decalred a EEZ

-- All true planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune
-- The moons of Earth and Mars
-- Habitable moons (Europa, Ganymede, Castillo, Io, Titan)

Establishment of EEZ

--the power must place mining or other equipment on a world, and register it to the UN.

EEZ establishes
--Exclusive access to that worlds resources
--no power may land on the world or build installations without the expressed permission of the EEZ owner
--if a Commercial enity establishes a commercial mining operation, the EEZ owner is owed half the minerals produced on that world, or a payment of 1200 credit a year.   The choice between minerals or wealth is up to the EEZ owner. 

Number of EEZ
This treaty allows each power to claim five (5) moons or other objects as EEZ in the Sol System. 

The FSA views this as a high priority to discussion.   We are willing to discuss the particulars, but we must obtain limited claiming or EEZ rights or we will be forced to leave the OST. 

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2016, 05:05:44 AM »
First of all, I'd like to insist that I am only talking in my name, not that of the NAU as we haven't reached a consensus on this yet.

I think that we need two separate treaty, one for claims by a nation, one for claims by private mining companies. I also think that we should allow some claiming of habitable bodies by various nations, although I am not sure exactly what criteria should be used to grant sovereignty.

In the meantime, I propose this as a solution to the exploitation of space by private interests:

Treaty on Civilian Concession in Space:

1) Any Civilian Mining Corporation establishing a mining outpost on a barren body immediately gain an exclusive concession to that body, enforce by the Company's country.

2) If another CMC tries to establish a mining outpost on a body that is already the concession of another company, all its infranstructure is liable to be seized by the company owning the concession.

3) If a mining outpost is established on a body already hosting populations or significant (10+) mines belonging to another country, both the CMC and the government of the pre-existing colony will get a join concession.

4) The concession lasts until the mineral runs out. As long as a company has a concession, it's parent government exercise sovereignty on the body and in space for 1.000 km around it.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2016, 06:12:41 AM »
The RC recognizes the need for establishing exclusive claims since this will reduce tension between spacefaring powers. For this system to work it is however important that any claims are recognized and respected by all involved parties.

It will likely take time before a general treaty covering all aspects and agreeable to all can be reached. In the meantime the RC would, in the interest of world peace, be prepared to negotiate about and recognize specific claims on a case by case basis.

We do not believe granting private enterprises ownership of system bodies is a good model. Instead we propose that if several CMC:s operate on the same body we declare it a de-militarized zone for civilian exploitation only. If on the other hand a CMC wish to operate on a body which is under jurisdiction of a nation it would have to operate under the laws of that nation (in game terms taken over).

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2016, 11:12:57 AM »
The RC recognizes the need for establishing exclusive claims since this will reduce tension between spacefaring powers. For this system to work it is however important that any claims are recognized and respected by all involved parties.

It will likely take time before a general treaty covering all aspects and agreeable to all can be reached. In the meantime the RC would, in the interest of world peace, be prepared to negotiate about and recognize specific claims on a case by case basis.

We do not believe granting private enterprises ownership of system bodies is a good model. Instead we propose that if several CMC:s operate on the same body we declare it a de-militarized zone for civilian exploitation only. If on the other hand a CMC wish to operate on a body which is under jurisdiction of a nation it would have to operate under the laws of that nation (in game terms taken over).

We are much closer to the Russian confederation model.   The FSA has begun the process of carrying out development on two outer system bodies.   This includes placing of small geological teams and also mines to carry out the production.   We do not wish to disclose the locations of these bodies at this time but we view that the Free State Alliance, in locating, developing, and now mining said bodies should be the exclusive domain of the Free State Alliance.  Outside of Luna, the FSA was the first nation to land on every planet and moon in Sol.  The FSA flag flies on each one of these rocks and transmitters beep into the void from the gas giants.   For a nation to obtain a claim on a handful is not unreasonable.

For inhabited planets, the main issue is that all the planets and moons suitable for colonization already have more then one colony minus the very harsh worlds inside of Earth.

We are agreeable to a gentleman's agreement - Excluding some specific  worlds (Mars, Luna, the 4 major Jovian moons, and Titan, which already have colonies from more then one power) the ability to claim X amount of worlds, we would be agreeable to. 

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2016, 06:10:57 AM »
The FSA dropped a flag. The Union was the first power to establish permanent presence on all of these world (save Mars, but even then the FSA only landed a handful of scientists).

We do not mind in principle the FSA claiming a few asteroids as long as we get some as well.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2016, 11:44:30 AM »
The FSA dropped a flag. The Union was the first power to establish permanent presence on all of these world (save Mars, but even then the FSA only landed a handful of scientists).

We do not mind in principle the FSA claiming a few asteroids as long as we get some as well.

Then why do we not keep it simple.

- Each power can claim up to five uninhabited worlds excluding the mainline planets (but not their moons)
- Any Commercial mining company that establishes itself on a claimed world can be removed or taxed by the claiming power.
-Claims are made by submitting the name to the UN.
- If a body is claimed by more then one power in the first claiming paperwork, it will be randomly determined.

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2016, 12:02:13 PM »
I don't like that randomly determined parts: let the countries hash it out between them.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2016, 01:03:56 PM »
We believe a final decision by neutral UN appointed judges (random) should be made if no other agreement can be reached. This is in the interest of avoiding increasing tensions between the space powers.

Still with this mechanism there is nothing stopping us from discussing our claims with each other. The RC would be open to letting other nations get exclusive claims they deem important - in return for concessions of other claims or maybe something in another area altogether to let us all benefit.

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2016, 01:16:03 PM »
Well, Reinmuth, Fayne and Mercury would be of interest to the NAU.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2016, 01:39:34 PM »
Well, Reinmuth, Fayne and Mercury would be of interest to the NAU.

We where planning to look into Fayne, and we already have some mining equipment on Mercury.

That said, we would be willing to remove our mines from Mercury and give up claims on those (Reinmuth, Fayne and Mercury) for claims on the Moons of Deimos (Mars), Puck (Uranus)  and Triton(Neptune).   We wish to use Deimos as a supply base for our fleet and to defend our soon to be millions of citizens located on Mars (while at the same time keeping Mars somewhat demilitarized), and Puck and Triton we have existing mining bases though our government owned OSMC (Outer System Mining Company) project.

In return for Russia and the NAU recognizing these three claims, we would be willing to Recognize Reinmuth, Fayne, and Mercury as NAU territory and then three sites for Russian (and three for EU) claims).  If this is agreeable we will put in a civilian order to remove the automines from Mercury 

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2016, 02:12:46 PM »
Does the EU wants to expand to outer space as well? I though the Ark has calmed them.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2016, 06:02:38 PM »
Does the EU wants to expand to outer space as well? I though the Ark has calmed them.

It ended Turkey's goals, but they still plan to have some mining and colonies in space.  Just that they are being more conservative.