Author Topic: Chronicle of the Rigellian Empire - Part 1 Discussion  (Read 10471 times)

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Chronicle of the Rigellian Empire - Part 1 Discussion
« on: January 25, 2015, 03:50:06 PM »
Yes!  :)

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 06:04:27 PM »
Is the sudden militarisation a bit to much? I mean 2 derelict ships is one thing but stamping out what accounts to 3 fleets on the base of artefacts that could be centuries old? Is the Emperor just a bit hotheaded or is it a Rigellian trait?

Also since when can 2 ruins be of the same culture? I mean i never noticed that behavior before.

Good to see a new campaign though.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 11:49:08 PM »
I assume Steve is roleplaying that both colonies belong to the same empire. Still, a nice coincidence that the wrecks were above the ruins!

And the physical proof of the existence of aliens that had fought a battle at some point is, imho, sufficient motivation to build a small fleet.

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 01:09:33 AM »
Steve,

I'm curious when you do these campaigns do you research components or just the tech and instant the ship component? I have done campaigns both ways but it seems like I always instant something along the line, just to make things fit size wise...oh no room make the active smaller, etc. Just curious as how others do it.

-Five

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 04:35:32 AM »
Is the sudden militarisation a bit to much? I mean 2 derelict ships is one thing but stamping out what accounts to 3 fleets on the base of artefacts that could be centuries old? Is the Emperor just a bit hotheaded or is it a Rigellian trait?

Also since when can 2 ruins be of the same culture? I mean i never noticed that behavior before.

Good to see a new campaign though.

The Rigellians went from aliens don't exist to proof they do, so building a fleet was the reaction. Imagine current day Earth finding a wrecked alien spacecraft - how calmly do you think we would take that? :)

It's not uncommon for multiple ruins in the same system to be the same culture.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 04:38:12 AM »
Steve,

I'm curious when you do these campaigns do you research components or just the tech and instant the ship component? I have done campaigns both ways but it seems like I always instant something along the line, just to make things fit size wise...oh no room make the active smaller, etc. Just curious as how others do it.

-Five

During initial set up, I instant any components. Once the game starts I research components if they are more than 100 RP (so almost all of them). I do sometimes instant a temporary component to check a ship design, then delete it and research the real one.

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »
The Rigellians went from aliens don't exist to proof they do, so building a fleet was the reaction. Imagine current day Earth finding a wrecked alien spacecraft - how calmly do you think we would take that? :)

Hmmm... yes, imagine... or maybe NOT imagine???  HAHA... jk.... really NSA, I was kidding...  ;)

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 11:17:16 AM »
Awesome.  The Rigellians make a return. 

Having read the initial diaries more than once I wonder how much the more limiting structure of Aurora vs tabletop will alter the general course of events and if database slowdown/corruption will prematurely end the expansion of their empire?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 10:20:37 PM »
Awesome.  The Rigellians make a return. 

Having read the initial diaries more than once I wonder how much the more limiting structure of Aurora vs tabletop will alter the general course of events and if database slowdown/corruption will prematurely end the expansion of their empire?

Not sure how much of the history of Aurora you know here.  For those who aren't in on the backstory:  The core code for Aurora was originally called "Starfire Assistant" (SA) - it was a book-keeping program Steve wrote (in VB 6 :) ) to keep track of all that stuff for his Starfire campaigns.  The Rigellian campaign was played using SA, and as the campaign grew so did SA (I remember at some point Steve did a lot of work to put amalgamation of empires into SA, 'cuz he had a big merger between the Rigellians and another empire coming up).

In the end, you could say that "slowdown" killed the Rigellian campaign (that and Steve moved on to Aurora) - near the end the campaign was so huge that (IIRC) it was taking him months to play through a single turn.  You can see this in the page count for the turns in the Diaries - the last few turns take up a significant fraction of the write-up.  If anything, I suspect the Aurora engine would make the game more manageable - SA didn't have tactical movement, so battle management was a lot more labor-intensive.

At this point I think almost all of the actual game mechanics/rules in Aurora are completely different from SA/Starfire, but the underlying core application is a direct descendant of SA.  So the upshot is that I don't think Aurora has a "more limiting structure" vs. the Starfire of the Rigellian campaign (since it wasn't really a tabletop campaign), especially since the limitations don't matter nearly as much when you're the one writing the program :)

John

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 09:15:53 AM »
Not sure how much of the history of Aurora you know here.  ....

I am pretty familiar.  I've been an Aurora player and forum reader/user for many years now.  I should have been more clear I suppose. 

Please correct me if I am wrong: SA was entirely player controlled.  This would allow for tactical decisions that promote gameplay and the storyline.  Aurora is more autonomous and limiting in that way.  If a NPR does something dumb in Aurora the players is just stuck with it.  Much like the suicidal Space Vikings in the last fiction.  They kept repeating an action that was producing no benefit at all to the point where they depleted their resources and destroyed their ability to defend themselves.

I would also surmise that the code for Aurora is considerably more complex and would take more effort to modify as he goes along.

The bottom line is that I am just hoping this turns into an epic saga that will play out over a multitude of chapters.  I love reading Steve's fiction when I cannot find the time to play myself.

Offline CharonJr

• Lt. Commander
  • C
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 05:07:08 PM »

Had the same in my current game, 2 ruins of the same culture in 1 system, sadly those were only TL2 ;)

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 07:48:53 AM »
Had the same in my current game, 2 ruins of the same culture in 1 system, sadly those were only TL2 ;)

I wonder if you can have ruins of the same culture in adjacent systems too? Might be a cool idea otherwise, especially for higher TL ruins it would make sense to find an entire lost civilization spanning many systems ( although a bit overpowered if the AI can't also exploit the ruins? ).

Or to balance it you could find most of these ruins on worlds with still extreme radiation levels ( thus explaining how they became ruins ).

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 10:57:03 PM »
One could apply a bit of a Gausian distribution with its peak at Tl2 quickly tappering of making it increasingly unlikely to find more advanced ruins. One could also lower the Techlevel and number of Installations with the distance from the homesystem - so that say you get on the fringes a Techlevel 2 while the Homeworld was at 4.

Ruins with a bit of conventional industry could be interesting too.

Radiation would be cool.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t