Author Topic: Game Creation  (Read 1443 times)

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Game Creation
« on: March 31, 2010, 05:36:59 AM »
So I've read quite a bit about this already, but I haven't quite grasped how the start up generation works.

If, say, I want to play with 2 Player races on remote ends of a small cluster, how would I do that?

Would I just start with 50 systems with a high local chance, and then create two new and set the player races inside?

How would that look? ______ xxXxxxx
I'm aiming at this: _____x XxxxxxxxxxxxP
_____________________ xxPxxxxxxxxxxxxx
_______________________ xxxxxxxxxx

But I fear I'll get something more like this: __xxxxxxxxxP
 __________________ __________________ xxxxxxxxxxP

Could I circumvent this by building just a few systems at start, then add 30 more, a player race, 30 more, a player race, etc?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:32:55 AM by UnLimiTeD »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Game Creation
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:03:32 AM »
If you want to determine every system in the cluster before either of your races leave the home system just use the sm functions.  Start with a universe with the number of systems that you want it to have and use the random start, not starting on earch.  Turn on the SM functions and then open the system display screen (F9).  There is a button on the far right to create systems.  Create the system that you want and then go to the jump point tab.  You can edit the jump points to determine where they go to start with.  It can be a bit of a pain to get right.   I suggest seting up one system where you have set the jump point destinations and then use the enter/explore button for each warp point.  Then go to the next system and continue.  Once all of this is done put one jump point that does not have a predetermined end and change the universe size to whatever you want it to be.

This is very time intensive however.  The other way to do this is to create a small universe, create two systems for the races.  On the race details screen there are a couple of boxes where you can enter the range of systems that they will find when they explore new jump points.  When you have finished exploring the cluster you can then go in change the universe size and create a new npr (main menu sm functions)  It will be based off of the size of your empire.  then change the restrictions on which systems you can find and you will be ready to go forth into the galaxy.  

If I were doing this I would add the npr when I was done exploring my cluster, but long before I was ready to leave the cluster.  If at the same time you set the chance of finding a system that is not close to the system you are exploring from as very low.  (local system generation chance at 20%).  This will give you clusters of systems with some linkage between systems.

Have fun and explore.

Brian

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 08:14:29 PM »
So, if I start with 5 systems, and then systematically add 10 each until a I reach, say, 200, those original systems will be right in the middle?
And then I could add one player race after 150 and one after 200?

...To be honest, I read your post thrice now, and I still haven't quite grasped what to do.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 06:16:07 AM »
I know the process is a little convoluted.  So here is a bit of a walkthrough.  

On a new game start the boxes to uncheck are the Computer Controlled NPR, and Real Star Systems.  Then change the toggle from starting on earth to "Create Spacemaster Empire".  Leave the number of systems at 1000.  Change the npr chance to 0.  You cana allso change the local system chance to something higher than 50%.  This is the chance that when going through a jump point the new system will be within the spread listed just below it.  The only drawback of changing this once you get above 75%, you may find yourself being stuck in a pocket universe with no jumps out of a small cluster.  I would actually leave it alone for now.  Once the game starts you will need to select your "starting race".  There will be an entry for SM Race.  Also make sure to turn on SM functions.  

Next open up the F9 screen (System View)  On the bottom right of the screen there are a bunch of buttons, one of them is create system and another is create nebula.  They each create a system, with the nebula button creating a nebula system.  Create a system, if it does not match what you want delete the system (button on the bottom row).  This way you will only have a system in the database that you want.  Once you find a system that you like you can create an empire on a planet using the create empire button.  If you find a system that you like, but it does not have a habitable planet you can add a colony for the sm empire, open up the F2 screen and choose the enviroment tab.  Using a sm only button you can set the gasses in the atmosphere to whatever you want.  If you do this remember to delete the colony or it will fix the minerals on the planet.  Unless you have played with the minerals this probably means you won't have several of them at all which will quickly kill the game.  

At this point you can either start playing the race, or you could decide to create all the local systems using the sm race.  I would suggest doing this as the SM race.  Whichever race you are going to do this with you will need to change what systems they can access.  On the Race Details screen (cntl F2) there are two boxes that are by default 0.  The "min Sys Num" and "Max Sys Num".  If you enter a system number in these boxes then the race can only find systems in between the two numbers.  For a cluster enter something like a 50 system spread centered on the system you created the player race in.  You can find them under the Main Information group top left of the screen.  Once this is done you can go exploring the local space using the system generationscreen (F9)  jump point tab.  On the middle left there is a button "enter/explore".  If you select a jump point and then click on the button it will take you through to the connecting system.  If it has not been created yet it will be at this point.  It will take you a while to go through and create all 50 systems this way but it does work fairly well, and doesn't cause to many problems.  You will want to make backup copies of the database every few systems in case you mess up at this point.  If you do mess up there is a good chance you will corrupt to database and have to start over again.  If you want another player race that you control then pick a system and planet that you like and create another empire.  A side note, if you want there to be npr's inside the cluster you will need to change the chance on the game info screen.  Otherwise wait untill the cluster is done and then change it to whatever you want.  At this point also use the sm menu on the main menu bar.  There is an option to add extra npr.  This will pick a random system and create an npr based on your population when you create them (population of whatever race is the current default race.) If you limited the system number of the player race then you will need to go back into it and reset it to 0 so they can get out of the cluster.

I would suggest that you start by creating a game just to play around with the sm functions on creating systems.  It will really help, and should make things much faster overall.

Hope all this helps you, if not ask me specific questions and I will try to answer.
Brian

Hope this helps you out.

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 06:31:17 AM »
Thank you very much!
I played with the SM functions there a lot before, but what I totally didn't get was the system numbers.
So If I create a race that can find 1-30 and one that can find 70-100, and do that for the neighboring systems aswell, they will probably be a few systems apart.

Really good to know.
Now I just need to wait for 5.1 before I start anything^^.

Btw, if I end up in a closed Pocket, as far as I understand it, I could still use SM functions to change some jump connections to get new systems, right?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 07:37:28 AM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
Thank you very much!
Btw, if I end up in a closed Pocket, as far as I understand it, I could still use SM functions to change some jump connections to get new systems, right?
You are welcome, and yes you can use the sm functions to add new jump points to an existing system.  Also any new system always has the chance of backdooring you into an existing system, even if the existing system has no unexplored jump points.  It can make life a little more interesting.  Once the new jump point exists it can be detected with another system survey.

Brian

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 08:48:01 PM »
Start a new (1000 system) game, choose 'SM Race' instead of 'Start on Earth', create a system for Player One (this will be system 001).  Create a second system (002), reveal the jump points, choose a jump point, force it to link to system 501, create Player Two, break the jump point link to 002, then delete system 002.

Your two races are now 500 system numbers apart.  As a result they'll end up 25-30 jumps apart once they've explored sufficiently.

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 08:35:01 AM »
So, I got told in the Suggestions by Steve that creating a System I can set the Number by setting the System Range for the SM Race before doing so.

The question now is, if I have 200 systems, where is the middle?
At 1? 100? 200? Somewhere in between?
Totally random?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 09:15:17 AM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
So, I got told in the Suggestions by Steve that creating a System I can set the Number by setting the System Range for the SM Race before doing so.

The question now is, if I have 200 systems, where is the middle?
At 1? 100? 200? Somewhere in between?
Totally random?

There is no middle IIRC -it's periodic boundary conditions.

The one subtlety here is that if you increase the max system number in the middle of the game, e.g. to 1000, then the new systems will appear on the "high" side, e.g. 201-1000.

John