Author Topic: Do civilians build jump-capable ships?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Zook (OP)

• Commander
Do civilians build jump-capable ships?
« on: August 07, 2012, 05:42:30 PM »
Yes or No? I found both claims in older posts, so I thought I'd ask.  My civvies are carrying stuff from Earth to Mars, have enough money, the jump-freighters are available, very civilian, not obsolete, and the customer can have them in any color he likes.  Still they only collect dust in the showroom. 

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Do civilians build jump-capable ships?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:50:15 PM »
Yes or No? I found both claims in older posts, so I thought I'd ask.  My civvies are carrying stuff from Earth to Mars, have enough money, the jump-freighters are available, very civilian, not obsolete, and the customer can have them in any color he likes.  Still they only collect dust in the showroom. 

Definitely not in v5.70. I'm fairly sure they don't in v5.60 either, although they used to build jump capable in some earlier versions.

Steve

Offline Zook (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:20:06 PM »
OK, thanks! Apparently I'll have to build gates then, although I'm paranoid about them. And the civvies apparently don't use my civilian jump-ferries that I've parked on the JPs, either. Too bad.

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:01:46 AM »
Hmm I am sure my civvies built jump freighters but they couldnt use the jump engine, it was a game some time ago and I missed the part of a civillian non jump freighter. Only jump gates will help.
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:49:30 AM »
OK, thanks! Apparently I'll have to build gates then, although I'm paranoid about them. And the civvies apparently don't use my civilian jump-ferries that I've parked on the JPs, either. Too bad.

Ahhh - that's actually a different question. :)

What you really wanted to ask (in addition to your original question) was "Will civies take advantage of jump drives (either internal or in a jump-ferry) when plotting their routes?".  The answer is no.  So even if they did build jump-capable cargo ships, it wouldn't do you any good (as you've already discovered with the jump-ferries).

John

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 03:03:12 PM »

The problem is that the ferry ship might not be there when the civ ship arrives.

Steve