Author Topic: 1 Day Increments Broken?  (Read 1343 times)

Offline coco146 (OP)

• Registered
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
1 Day Increments Broken?
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:32:46 AM »
When I use one day increments rather than advancing anything they appear to only push backward all the projects in game.  For example if it is the 10th of august and I have a research project that will be completed the next day if I advance 1 day the completion date for the project becomes august 12th.  Is this a known issue or something unique to me?

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
Re: 1 Day Increments Broken?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 06:50:13 AM »
The issue is that several things are only computed every five days, in particular research projects. When you advance by 1 day you might not enter the next production cycle, so no R&D progress will be computed, and thus not R&D points will be added to the project in question, hence no project completion. That is not really "broken", it's just that R&D only gets computed every five days. If you advance by 1 day, five times you will see the research being completed.

So in a way the thing that is actually slightly broken is the estimated time that the R&D will be completed. The calculation for this time treats progress as continuous, even though it is not. Personally I can live with that, R&D should not be quite so deterministic anyway.

Offline coco146 (OP)

• Registered
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 06:57:10 AM »
Thanks.  Could someone explain auto-turns to me?

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »
The game will continue to run at the interval you select until a time stop incident occurs: ship contact, research or production completion, officer death, new recruits...

In early game it works to easily progress time through more mundane periods that do not require lots of attention.  Mid-late game using it to cover larger amounts of time isn't practical as you have all kinds of time stop events occurring every week.  However, it is very useful when NPR races have battles.  For some reason some of their time stop events also stop time for you.  In a case like this you just hit the 1 day auto increment and watch your event log scroll through dozens to hundreds of time stops with no reason attached to them until their battle is over.

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 10:37:13 AM »
I'd like to note that when starting a game, you can change the construction cycle time. The default is 400,000, which is just shy of five days, while I usually change mine to 86,400, or one day, to make things a bit smoother when going on one-day autoturns.