Author Topic: Dumb newbie mistakes to avoid  (Read 44021 times)

Offline DaMachinator

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Dumb newbie mistakes to avoid
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 11:52:16 AM »
For some reason, freighters with captains who have a high training bonus accumulate grade points REALLY quickly.  So it doesn't matter too much.
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2016, 05:00:37 PM »
For some reason, freighters with captains who have a high training bonus accumulate grade points REALLY quickly.  So it doesn't matter too much.

Generally it is because freighters have small crews.  Since training increases are X points, rather than X percent, dividing those X points among fewer crewmen makes the average crew rating rise faster.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2016, 12:36:41 PM »
I can't believe no-ones mentioned the infamous bombarding your homeworld with minerals by not having a catching Mass Driver!

But that is impossible ... Ships will refuse to remove last Mass Driver from the target planet if the payload is on route, you cant target planets without Mass Drivers etc.
Only possible situation where you can bombard your own planet is if your last mass Driver gets destroyed by ground combat/orbital bombardement with either spoilers or another empire while the payload is on route..
Or am i missing something ?

1a) Electing to eliminate ICBM's in a conventional start and then worrying about required protection levels.
Protection Level does not matter on your Capital planet and by the time you actually colonize something, you should be able to build waay more efficient and advanced PDC's.

Some mistakes from me :

Investing too much research into one aspect of the category drastically reduces overall efectivness of your ships - for example, having Tier 1 missiles ( warhead, agility etc ) with advanced engine is not always better than having more advanced missiles with slightly older engines. Or focusing on the sensors only to discover that your weapons cant benefit from that range.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2016, 04:40:05 PM »
If one is in production, and not finished I believe you can remove the last whole one. 

But it used to be you could remove the last one. And people go splat.

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
Ship design is perhaps the easiest to fail miserably at. I've had designs that I needed to refine like 3-4 times before I arrived at what I wanted, because:
- Forgot to increase the deployment time from 3 months.
- Forgot to put engines on.
- Forgot to put fuel on (accidentally removed it), or enough fuel on.
- Forgot to check that the yearly failure rate is acceptably low.
- Did not realize jump tenders had to be at least as big as who they're tending.
- Forgot to put tractor beams on tugs.
- Forgot to put salvage modules on salvagers.
- Forgot to put survey sensors on scouts.

Thank Steve for refits!

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 10:30:13 AM »
Perhaps this is a slightly more sophisticated newbie mistake than the forgetting vital components, but I still always underestimate how big sensors need to be. The thought of allocating that much space to sensors, probably on a dedicated ship, is hard to appreciate. I blame the other 4X games out there for skewing my perceptions.

Iranon

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2016, 01:56:02 PM »
One common mistake I see is overstressed engines, compensated by a massive fuel load.
If you need to carry more than 40% of your engine weight in fuel, you lose performance (speed at a given size and range) as well as wasting fuel.

Offline littleWolf

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2016, 03:17:55 PM »
I forgot make a colony BEFORE send and unload colonists to planet.  And every colony ships unload colonists and create separate colony.

(see 5!!! different human colonies on Mars)

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »
I forgot make a colony BEFORE send and unload colonists to planet.  And every colony ships unload colonists and create separate colony.

FYI you can use SM mode to fix this- add up all the colonists & installations, change one colony to those numbers and delete the others.

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2016, 01:04:41 AM »

Well, you will have lots of population growth once you terraform! :)

You can even fix it without SpaceMaster Mode, if you simply move those colonists to one chosen colony, then abandon the empty ones. Happened to me once, with modified species.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2016, 05:32:46 AM »
Starting to mass produce your fighters before a hangar is ready for them.  8 out of 20 blew up due to mechanical failures, before I could build an emergency PDC with a hangar, as retooling and producing the carrier took longer than expected.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2016, 07:05:15 AM »
Starting to mass produce your fighters before a hangar is ready for them.  8 out of 20 blew up due to mechanical failures, before I could build an emergency PDC with a hangar, as retooling and producing the carrier took longer than expected.
Reminds me of what happened recently, started mass producing fighters before finishing all designs for ship systems, turns out the cost of continuously refitting already produced fighters every time a bug or problem was found is extremely expensive.
Should have just made more F22s
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2016, 11:04:37 AM »
Reminds me of what happened recently, started mass producing fighters before finishing all designs for ship systems, turns out the cost of continuously refitting already produced fighters every time a bug or problem was found is extremely expensive.
Should have just made more F22s
Nice one. In a similar fashion the UK's new Type 45 destroyers not having enough power to run both their air conditioning and their weapon systems sounds like one of my own Aurora reactor design mishaps.

The following users thanked this post: Drgong

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2016, 11:13:06 AM »
How much air con do they need? Sheesh, crack a window!
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Iranon

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2016, 11:54:58 AM »
I don't get it either.
British sailors don't need such emasculating comfort features, British tech won't work even if you keep it cool and dry.