Author Topic: out of memory crash  (Read 2081 times)

Offline jtgasv (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • j
out of memory crash
« on: December 11, 2020, 02:48:32 AM »
during large scale ground invasions 4mil tons vs 4+mil tons
the game log bloats to a very large size and ram usage increases from 200-300mb up to 1.5gb over the course of 15 game days
closing the game and reloading does not change it and i know its the game log because im having to delete all log entries in the database every 10-15 days or so. Deleting the log brings ram use back to 200-300mb.

im not sure if this is a problem with my computer or settings. as when i asked on discord a while back 1.5gb isn't actually much ram usage for aurora.

The function number and The complete error text     - in screenshot
multiple function numbers, same error. this will be spammed endlessly and i have to end process with task manager.
The window affected    - all
What you were doing at the time     - ground invasion
Conventional or TN start     -has occurred in both (multiple saves)
Random or Real Stars     - has occurred in both (multiple saves)
Is your decimal separator a comma?     - no
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?     - reproduceable for me whenever i have large scale ground combat
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well     - current campaign is 463 years but happened as early as 100 years.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 02:53:13 AM by jtgasv »

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: out of memory crash
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 04:14:35 AM »
the game log bloats to a very large size and ram usage increases from 200-300mb up to 1.5gb over the course of 15 game days
closing the game and reloading does not change it and i know its the game log because im having to delete all log entries in the database every 10-15 days or so. Deleting the log brings ram use back to 200-300mb.

im not sure if this is a problem with my computer or settings. as when i asked on discord a while back 1.5gb isn't actually much ram usage for aurora.

multiple function numbers, same error. this will be spammed endlessly and i have to end process with task manager.
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?     - reproduceable for me whenever i have large scale ground combat
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well     - current campaign is 463 years but happened as early as 100 years.

The ground log is an issue I also have reported and was leading to insane amount of mb weight of the database which increases the save and loading time.

The out of memory does not surprise me also considering we are running a 32bit version and Steve hasn't release a 64 yet.

That may also fix the issue just for a bit but I really think the entry logs of ground combat should get expunged every contruction cycle.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 11:28:06 AM »

The ground log is an issue I also have reported and was leading to insane amount of mb weight of the database which increases the save and loading time.

The out of memory does not surprise me also considering we are running a 32bit version and Steve hasn't release a 64 yet.

That may also fix the issue just for a bit but I really think the entry logs of ground combat should get expunged every contruction cycle.

One thing I found bizarre is that deleting logs from the database is not reducing the save file size - its just hovering at 150mb. Whats even weirder is that the DB size is also not increasing as I play further into the game/ I also deleted other space related combat logs on top of GC logs. What is taking up all that space?

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 12:09:36 PM »
One thing I found bizarre is that deleting logs from the database is not reducing the save file size - its just hovering at 150mb. Whats even weirder is that the DB size is also not increasing as I play further into the game/ I also deleted other space related combat logs on top of GC logs. What is taking up all that space?

Deleting rows from a table in an sqlite database does not immediately make the file smaller. The file is divided into 4-kilobyte pages, and when a page is emptied it is simply reused for future writes. You can use the VACUUM command to remove empty pages from the file.

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 05:00:57 PM »

Deleting rows from a table in an sqlite database does not immediately make the file smaller. The file is divided into 4-kilobyte pages, and when a page is emptied it is simply reused for future writes. You can use the VACUUM command to remove empty pages from the file.

Thanks - that took it from 150 mb to 90 mb

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 02:45:17 PM »
from 230mb to 22mb  :o :o :o :o :o