Author Topic: Real life military organizations, equipment and personnel.  (Read 45388 times)

Offline Marski (OP)

• Commander
Since not everyone knows what a battalion, regiment or a division looks like. I'm making this thread as a depository of information on which to base your ground units on.

Starting with the most comprehensible piece, includes everything from the organization structure of several different types of soviet formations, to how many field kitchens a regimental headquarters has.
Image is a hyperlink.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:27:33 PM by Marski »

The following users thanked this post: waresky, SpikeTheHobbitMage, firsal, smoelf, Gabethebaldandbold, Rye123, YABG, Ektor, skoormit

Offline Marski (OP)

• Commander
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 02:59:45 AM by Marski »

The following users thanked this post: waresky, Gabethebaldandbold

Offline YABG

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Y
Re: Real life military organizations, equipment and personnel.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 03:02:19 PM »
Found this today which serves as a good source for what contemporary British formations look like. Not masses of detail but enough to create a reasonable looking ground unit template:

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/armyindex.php#.XpyS9MhKhhG

The following users thanked this post: Marski

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 03:55:33 PM »
http://niehorster.org/000_admin/000oob.htm

Various countries during ww2, some more detailed then others.

The following users thanked this post: Marski, GodEmperor, Dfuzzed, Cobaia, ArcWolf

Offline kyphrite156

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • k
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 07:57:18 PM »
I've been doing research into WWI orders of battle for an AAR scenario I want to run and found this site, which has links to OOB for pretty much every major combatant for both ground and naval OOBs, along with TO&E strengths down to the company level in some cases. 

http://www.314th.org/Nafziger-Collection-of-Orders-of-Battle/Nafziger-Collection-World-War-One.html

Also has links to a larger OOB repository for armies from 1600 to 1945.  Might be useful to anyone looking to setup scenarios during those eras.  Needs a little tweaking to get it to fit in the new GU formations, but I've been experimenting with how to set them up and have come up with some fairly sizable formations from corps down to the company level for the UK and Germany. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 01:43:58 PM by Garfunkel »

The following users thanked this post: mtm84

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 09:09:47 PM »
It may be important to streamline all this down to what's actually meaningful in Aurora. Creating a complete OOB from Army down to Squad level, with every detail, may be tedious both to organize and later to actually manage and use in-game.

Is company level simulation worth it or can we skip to battalion level? Are regiments necessary as a larger unit? As far as I've read a while ago, like regimental ones, divisional systems were falling into disuse, giving way to autonomous "brigade combat teams" (BCT), at least in the US Army.

So the primary units could be brigades composed of 4-5 battalions (or regiments if you prefer that flavour), perhaps with some greater administrative unit encompassing them to cover fronts/planets/campaigns.

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:26:06 PM by Shadow »

The following users thanked this post: QuantumPete

Offline Marski (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 09:26:07 PM »
It may be important to streamline all this down to what's actually meaningful in Aurora. Creating a complete OOB from Army down to Squad level, with every detail, may be tedious both to organize and later to actually manage and use in-game.

Is company level simulation worth it or can we skip to battalion level? Are regiments necessary as a larger unit? As far as I've read a while ago, like regimental ones, divisional systems were falling into disuse, giving way to autonomous "brigade combat teams" (BCT), at least in the US armed forces.

So the primary units could be brigades composed of 4-5 battalions (or regiments if you prefer that flavour), perhaps with some greater administrative unit encompassing them to cover fronts/planets/campaigns.

What are your thoughts?
It is tedious now, but I hope that Steve-, once he has hunted down all the gameplay bugs that are currently burning through version numbers at impressive speed, -improves the ground force management by introducing "categories" that act as "folders" in the unit design screen, where ground units based on their type are deposited. Vehicles in vehicle folder and so on. Other thing would be having similiar system for producing army formations. So the poor bastards like me, who have designed their army down to the squad level, can have a bit easier time building them.

As for combat performance I can't say, bugs and new versions have reset my plays before I've had even a glimpse of an opportunity for planetary invasion.

The following users thanked this post: superstrijder15, Alsadius

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 10:09:38 PM »

Is company level simulation worth it or can we skip to battalion level? Are regiments necessary as a larger unit? As far as I've read a while ago, like regimental ones, divisional systems were falling into disuse, giving way to autonomous "brigade combat teams" (BCT), at least in the US Army.

What are your thoughts?

I'm finding good "balance" at doing Brigade-Battalion-Company format for a RA type of MTOE.  This gives multiple Front Line units with some LAA, supported by LB, MB, and MAA Battalion assets at HQ, backed up by HB, HAA, and STO option at the Brigade HQ level.  I find it maximizes CP/ton levels quite well, with some minor modifications to suit mission(s).
si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Shadow

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 10:21:47 PM »
It seems companies are sort of mandatory after all, since the most junior army officer rank you have is Major, which isn't enough to command a battalion (Lt Col).

Command levels appear to be out of whack, though, if a Colonel can command up to something like 80-100 thousand troops (if the Ground Combat Command value corresponds to men under them).

Ranks can be renamed, but apparently not removed, so I'm not sure what'd be the consequences of reshuffling nomenclature to make command figures more sensible.

Offline Marski (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 10:34:17 PM »
Ranks can be renamed, but apparently not removed
Yes they can.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 10:36:54 PM »
Hmmmm. And how does that affect academy graduate generation?

Offline Marski (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 11:02:12 PM »
Hmmmm. Look deep into yourself and you'll find the answer.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 12:31:29 AM »

Not in the slightest.

Offline idefelipe

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 01:38:42 AM »
I always create a new rank (Captain) for my ground forces, and I have not see any changes related to the Academy. As the new rank is added on the top (for the promotions) and you have to rename the other ranks, the only change is to rename Major to Captain, everything else keeps as they are.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 03:40:43 AM »
I always create a new rank (Captain) for my ground forces, and I have not see any changes related to the Academy. As the new rank is added on the top (for the promotions) and you have to rename the other ranks, the only change is to rename Major to Captain, everything else keeps as they are.

Is it really tenable to go as deep down as platoon level in Aurora... I have so far only worked with Company Level strength formations. At platoon level it seems like the individual formations get too weak and you risk breakthroughs from enemy attack quite often.

Command levels appear to be out of whack, though, if a Colonel can command up to something like 80-100 thousand troops (if the Ground Combat Command value corresponds to men under them).

The numbers does not represent number of men but the total "size" of the formations under them. Also the game NEVER refer to number of actual soldiers but units. You could easily have an infantry unit be referring to a fire-team of three soldier or an infantry unit with a CAP is a machine gun team of 5-6 men. Like wise one infantry unit could be a super soldier like a space marine in power armour and a bolter. A light vehicle could be a small walker or a space marine Dreadnought type individual.

The number that each commander can command is their capacity, there is nothing that says that a colonel could not command a divisions... I mean he is capable of it... he just have not attained that rank yet. You probably also could find generals that are not capable of commanding a division even though they have the rank to do so... that is how real life actually works...  ;)