Author Topic: Speed!!!  (Read 2595 times)

Offline iain (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • i
Speed!!!
« on: October 17, 2012, 08:04:25 AM »
Seeing that Aurora is such a intense CPU using game it comes as no suprise that it can stall most computers.
But all I want too see is that it uses multi cores instead of one.  I myself have a 3. 3 Ghz quad-core and find that it uses 1 core to the Max.  but i can play any other game with aurora in the background.

secondly WHY does a large population have such an adverse effect on game speed.

if you try too generate a 7000M population Earth it almost takes 15 minutes too generate.

thirdly why does having many savegames affect performance.  A new game with aurora runs as smooth as silk but after 5 new games it is a jittery mess.  could you not write that it saves individual savegames' componets into their own directory.

fourthly; What an amazing game.   ;D

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
Re: Speed!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:45:33 AM »
The performance of Aurora is due to the fact that it is not multi-threaded. Because of this it cannot take advantage of multiple cores. It is not multi-threaded because of the difficulty of doing that in the language it is written in.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
regardless of the language it is written in many of the concepts in aurora can run into scale problems very quickly, its a big game.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »
Having many games running in one installment of Aurora impacts your game btw. because all the games are in a single database (iirc) which leads to additional problems.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 08:13:01 PM »
Having many games running in one installment of Aurora impacts your game btw. because all the games are in a single database (iirc) which leads to additional problems.

Probably the best thing to do is make copies of stevefire.mdb and use one for each game. Just copy into a separate "save game" folder and overwrite the main directory file when needed. Just remember to copy back out after you are done.

Offline vonduus

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 06:47:53 AM »
This may be all wrong, anyway:

I have found, that if I open Windows Job Manager and check performance, Aurora is only using one core (I have a dual-core machine). But if I give Aurora a higher priority, it begins using the second core, sometimes so much, that my machine seems to freeze (both cores at 100%). Aurora is not multi-core capable, so what happens, I believe, is that Aurora uses some windows standard routines (like read/write), and that those routines then get their own core when Aurora is prioritized.

I may be wrong, but I believe that turns take a little less time to compute, when Aurora is prioritized. Not so much that I actually feel the difference every turn, but I believe that in the long run I may save quite some time.