Author Topic: Detecting PDC's  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Lightning (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
Detecting PDC's
« on: January 20, 2015, 11:47:43 AM »
Hi all,

I'm in the process of trying to assault an enemy homeworld. The only sensor contacts are the population, some ground forces, and the shipyards. I'm not detecting any active sensors, but am taking missile fire. 7 salvo's of 43 size 1 missiles each. I assume the planet has some point defense PDC's I'm not detecting & they are the ones shooting at me.

So, apparently I'm missing something on how to detect PDC's on a planet or am still too far away at 11m km. I seem to remember reading somewhere quite a while ago that PDC's used the planetary sensors which would explain the no active sensor readings, but I'm just not quite sure about how to detect & target them. I've got to assume poorly designed sensors on my part, at least when it comes to PDC's. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance so I can remedy the problem for the next conquest.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
Re: Detecting PDC's
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:12:49 PM »
Ive never seen PDC's, ever.  They are probably smaller orbiting platforms.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:35:12 PM »
You cant really "see" them. Just fire at the body giving you trouble until its nothing but radioactive dust..... or until they stop shooting.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:47:31 PM »
So the only way to attack a PDC is just randomly fire at the population?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:44:18 PM »
NPRs do not build PDCs, only player does. The NPR probably has small Orbital Weapon Platforms that you haven't seen yet. Which is kinda weird because usually their OWPs are huge.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:57:27 PM »
And player-built PDCs can be detected just like an OWP, I believe.

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
NPRs do not build PDCs, only player does. The NPR probably has small Orbital Weapon Platforms that you haven't seen yet. Which is kinda weird because usually their OWPs are huge.

Couple of problems:

1) I am detecting *no* active sensors of any kind. Have no clue how they are even able to target me with an OWP.

2) The planet is 11.2m km away which should be in range of my "Active Search Sensor MR23-R4 (1)     GPS 768     Range 23.0m km    Resolution 4". If I've read things correctly, this sensor should detect everything larger than 200 tons & closer than 23m km. If its a OWP, it would have to be 2500 tons at a minimum to be launching 43 size 1 missiles at me every 5 seconds based on my calculations.

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 09:40:32 PM »
Couple of problems:

1) I am detecting *no* active sensors of any kind. Have no clue how they are even able to target me with an OWP.

2) The planet is 11.2m km away which should be in range of my "Active Search Sensor MR23-R4 (1)     GPS 768     Range 23.0m km    Resolution 4". If I've read things correctly, this sensor should detect everything larger than 200 tons & closer than 23m km. If its a OWP, it would have to be 2500 tons at a minimum to be launching 43 size 1 missiles at me every 5 seconds based on my calculations.

Weird. When I got home from work and opened aurora, the OWP showed up as new contacts. Still no active sensors detected though

Offline misora

• m
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 09:48:59 PM »
Maybe their using some other Active Sensor in the system, or the one their using might be small and weak. Other than that, this is a rather confusing conundrum and you might want to tell Steve about it in the bug thread, although it might not be easily replicated.

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 10:15:35 PM »
The system map was behaving a little weird before I logged last night. When I restarted today, after the 1st 5 sec interval, about 70 13,000 ton OWP showed up well within sensor range. Still not detecting any active sensors. Since I'm running an old version, bug report doesn't seem worthwhile.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 11:02:55 PM »
The system map was behaving a little weird before I logged last night. When I restarted today, after the 1st 5 sec interval, about 70 13,000 ton OWP showed up well within sensor range. Still not detecting any active sensors. Since I'm running an old version, bug report doesn't seem worthwhile.
Good this got cleared up. And may I ask why you are running an older version of the game?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 12:21:00 AM »
 Had a campaign started that I didn't want to abandon when the engine rules/design got changed. While I'm not sure why NPC's wouldn't build PDC's, knowing they don't kinda eliminates the original question :)

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 07:34:59 AM »

They stopped firing once I detected them as well. The missiles in flight continued on course though. So either I ran em out of missiles at the same time, or they stopped cause of no active sensors. I'm gonna go with the weird map thingy and call it a day.

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 10:46:49 AM »
FYI, these guys are gonna be a tough nut to crack. The point defense shot down about 1600 missiles out of the salvo from my fighters. Time to boost fighter & ordinance production.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 10:52:18 AM »
FYI, these guys are gonna be a tough nut to crack. The point defense shot down about 1600 missiles out of the salvo from my fighters. Time to boost fighter & ordinance production.
You could design some special missiles with Ablative Armor and ECM. You could call them Bunker Busters ;).